Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

List of MM related music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of MM related music?

As a new convert to the multiverse I'm surprised and delighted to find just how much music is Moorcock inspired (And how much of that I already own!).

Is there a comprehensive list to be found anywhere?

I really don't know. We can start one.

Michael Moorcock - New World's Fair
    Kevin McCabe
    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

There's a comprehensive discography of Mike's music and musical collaborations up to 1997 in the book Dude's Dream by Brian Tawn. You can usually pick it up on eBay from the author for a reasonable price.

Post 1997, apart from a couple of guest slots over the telephone, Mike hasn't done anything. The following old demos have been released:
      Roller Coaster Holiday
      Entropy Tango

New Worlds Fair has been reissued.

As for Moorcock inspired material - your best bet is just to trawl the music forums here.

Comment

'Sonic Attack' with Hawkwind comes to mind and there's another one (can't remember the name of it off hand) on the 80s album Sonic Attack too. I'm sure there must be more Hawkwind collaborations...
        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
          'Sonic Attack' with Hawkwind comes to mind and there's another one (can't remember the name of it off hand) on the 80s album Sonic Attack too. I'm sure there must be more Hawkwind collaborations...
          The whole of the "Live Chronicles" album is narrated by one Mike M.

"The Wizard blew his horn"
          from "Warrior on the Edge of Time" is Mike's, as is the title track.

BOC did at least a couple of tracks....

Des
          Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

As john says, Brian Tawn's Dude's Dream is the current definitive work on Mike's music, but I thought the key phrase in Purplegrant's OP was "Moorcock inspired", that is music inspired/influenced by Mike's oeuvre rather than composed by Mike himself. In which case, I assume we're talking about bands like Blind Guardian, Domine, Summoning, etc. yes?

I once deleted a list of Moorcock-influenced bands from Mike's Wikipedia article, which I reproduce here:

The Epic Black metal band Summoning has also written about Moorcock on their album "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame."

The German Power Metal band Blind Guardian wrote of the Eternal Champion in the song "The Quest for Tanelorn" on their album Somewhere Far Beyond, about Elric in their song "Fast To Madness". Also, a reference is made to Moorcock's character Corum in their song "Imaginations from the Other Side" on the album of the same name.

Italian epic metal band Domine bases a lot of their lyrical themes on Moorcock's tales of the Eternal Champion and on Elric more specifically.

Also the Italian epic metal band Assedium wrote a song, ''Messenger of Chaos'', based on the figure of Elric.

The American dream pop band Elysian Fury released a song, "The Nomad of Time", named after a novel by Moorcock.

The Norwegian death metal band Blood Arkin got the name from the the Moorcock character "Lord Arkin". They also wrote the song, "Blood Arkin" about the character.

The American heavy metal band Cirith Ungol make use of artwork depicting Moorcock's character Elric on all four of their full-length albums.

The American Paisley Underground musician Kendra Smith has recorded a number of songs inspired by Moorcock's work, such as 'The Wheel Of The Law' and 'Valley of The Morning Sun'. One release is credited to Kendra Smith and The Guild of Temporal Adventurers.
            Perhaps Purplegrant would like to list the music he owns so we have a starting point?
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I find myself in rare disagreement with John. Mike has done at least a couple of things since 1997. He did four or five songs each on Spirit Burnings' Alien Injection and Space Ritual's Otherworld. On a separate note, I think Mike himself once said he liked Choose Your Masques best of the Hawkwind. I'm reasonably sure that he is a big presence on the studio version (currently incredibly expensive used). TF would know, as he has it on vinyl.

So, to recap in no particular order:
              Deep Fix- New World's Fair
              Deep Fix- Roller Coaster Holiday (demos for New World's Fair)
              Hawkwind- Choose Your Masques (studio)
              Hawkwind- Choose Your Masques (live) - maybe...
              Spirit's Burning - Alien Injection
              Space Ritual- Otherworld
              Hawkwind- Warrior On the Edge of Time
              Michael Moorcock - The Entropy Tango and Gloriana sessions.
              Hawkwind - Chronicle of the Black Sword
              Hawkwind - Live Chronicles
              Hawkwind - Live Chronicles DVD
              Blue Oyster Cult - Mirrors (The Great Sun Jester)
              Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin (Veterans of the Psychic Wars)

Additionally, Mike also played his 12 string Rickenbacher on Robert Calvert's Hype.

As a personal plug, I really, really, like the Spirits Burning collective. Falcone is doing amazing stuff with Bridget Wishart, Simon House, and a host of other names familiar from various incantions of Hawkwind. I would like to meet that guy sometime.
              Last edited by Kevin McCabe; 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM.
              Kevin McCabe
              The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Thanks for that helpful list, Kevin! You folks would know better than would I: are the Deep Fix songs on the "Best of Friends and Relations" CDs exact duplicates of songs found elsewhere? Here's a link to the emusic page:

http://www.emusic.com/artist/Michael.../11712260.html

Comment

OK, here's a starter list that I've put together the few I knew and by searching band/Moorcock and song/Moorcock on wikipedia...

BAND NAMES
                  Tygers of Pan Tang
                  Fireclown
                  Yyrkoon
                  Doomsword

SONGS

Blue Oyster Cult – various
                  Hawkwind - Various
                  Dark Moor - "Fall of Melnibone"
                  BlِِdHag - “Michael Moorcock”
                  Skelator - "The Coming of Chaos"
                  Doomsword – Various
                  GWAR - “Whargoul”
                  Magnum - “Lord of Chaos”, “Stormbringer”
                  Deep Purple - “Stormbringer” (debatable)
                  Blind Gaurdian – Various
                  Diamond Head - “Knight of the Swords”
                  Domine – Various

ALBUM COVERS

Diamond Head - “Borrowed Time”
                  Cirith Ungol - all 4 albums
                  Dimine – Various
                  Judas Priest – Rocka Rola (re-issue)
                  Might this not be a good thing to have on the wiki so it could be built up into something more comprehensive, powers that be?
                  Last edited by Purplegrant; 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Actually there's three Moorcock compositions on the album Sonic Attack: the title track (obviously), Coded Languages (with Mike singing) and Lost Chances, all these years and I thought there was only two...
                    forum

Comment

GC - I think some of those are Mike (Dodgem Dude, Time Centre)
                      EA - Like the studio Choose Your masks, Sonic Attack is one I haven't been able to lay my mitts on. Everyone says its great, though.
                      PG - I don't know. If there's not a comprehensive 'official' list here, maybe there's a good reason.
                      Kevin McCabe

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                        EA - Like the studio Choose Your masks, Sonic Attack is one I haven't been able to lay my mitts on. Everyone says its great, though.
                        It's not my favourite Hawkwind album by any means these days, but to the best of my recollection it was the first Hawkwind album I heard (and I loved it at the time), so I still have some fondness for it. I think the other two albums I heard at about the same time were Hall of the Mountain Grill, a classic, and Church of Hawkwind, which for reasons that escape me seems unpopular with many Hawkwind fans (at least online), but I still consider it to be up there with their very best. Although the CD version seriously fucks around with the track order, squeezing in totally inappropriate extra tracks and changing the order of the songs for absolutely no reason which probably doesn't help its reputation...
                        forum

Comment

I'm a big HotMG fan. Almost bought Church yesterday, but went with a 89-90 Hawkwind USA tour DVD instead.
                          Kevin McCabe

Comment

In case of sonic attack on your district get some more Hawkwind

Comment

Yeah Kevin,Mike writes the lyrics for a few of the tracks on CYM.
                              Has anyone mentioned Lucky Leif and the Longships by Bob C?
                              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X