Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The music for MM films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The music for MM films

Music that would be good in MM films Linkin park cos they are torured and awesomeand angry Creed cos they are cool Finger eleven are wicked. Fuel are awesome. 3doors down are cool. Evanescance. Modern but eternal, amazing. drowning pool rock Seether are so angry and cool saliva wicked, chevelle are cool, revis are a bit miserable but good. Domine cos they deserve it (theyve based their career on elric and MM) and theyre apt. David arkenstone for the gentle stuff. 12 stones are cool and heavy The calling cos theyre lovely and cool All rock and dance and alternate music really. Enya shood be banned. 8)

Many times movies will have a mixture of popular contemporary music and a symphonic soundtrack score. Should they decide to have the latter in the Elric film, I might suggest Danny Elfman as the composer. Look at the guy's repetoire: soundtracks for everything from Batman to Scissorhands to the Simpsons. The man is talented and extremely versatile.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Here's a few threads on the music for the movie. Some have listed examples of what they'd like to hear in them (including me :roll: ). Check out the music from Penderecki and VonBingen.

Glad to see this topic though, the other threads are pretty far down the list. :D

Here's the links to the threads:
      [broken link]

[broken link]

[broken link]

Here's some of the music links, Theocrat suggested Penderecki and I suggested VonBingen. Both are very good.

Penderecki's: http://www.penderecki.de/index.html (Main page of his site)

http://www.penderecki.de/_resources/a4b7d5e6a04.mp3
      http://www.penderecki.de/_resources/3877f5a3ab9.mp3
      http://www.penderecki.de/_resources/64231f81ff7.mp3
      http://www.schott-online.com/12publi...7b2dabfae2.mp3

From walmart.com 30 second samples
      [broken link]

[broken link]

A sample of Von Bingen (performed by Anonymous4):
      http://www.harmoniamundi.com/music3/907200.mp3

VonBingen at Walmart: VonBingen page at WalMart.com (This is a link)

More 30 second samples:
      [broken link]

Yes Walmart! You can actually download 1000's of songs for 88cents apiece. In the threads linked to above, there are more specifics about which compositions we like too. Plus a lot of other suggestions.

OK Von, blah, blah, blah.... :lol: :roll:
      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM.
      When they had advanced together to meet on common
      ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
      and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
      each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
      mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
      killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Thanks there VonWeiner! :) you just saved me from a long discourse in film music!........... Again! :)

A mix between 3 moods of classical/vocal music. The composers we metioned and a third would seem good i think.

Have you seen the trailer for "The Day After Tomorrow"?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/da...orrow/trailer/

I thought the vocal part in the score creates a good moody note. Though i have some doubt's if it's any good. Especially the science part. But maybe that would just spoil the movie.

Comment

Looks real nice Theocrat. Hate that quicktime :lol:

Hey I've really started listening to Penderecki since you mentioned him, so thank you. Great stuff!! :D

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Yeah... Apple Sucks at codecs.. But they make use of a good processor.

Glad to be of service! :)

Comment

I like the music in Conan the Barbarian. Something in that spirit is what is needed, no rock and roll, please...

Although I once read The Weird of the White Wolf on a road trip while my friend was blasting Anthrax, Iron Maiden and other various metal groups, and it went together quite well. But too often, movies that use modern music in a fantastic or historical setting come off as cheesy.

Comment

Here's the problem, a movie, even a great movie, needs all the help it can get. I would imagine that a "Godsmack" song on the soundtrack will help get wider awareness, but I would hope that the music would be as iconoclastic as the main character.

'Course, I am a Maiden fan, and would be ok with Steve Harris taking a crack at the soundtrack. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
                  'Course, I am a Maiden fan, and would be ok with Steve Harris taking a crack at the soundtrack. 8)
                  Didn't see that coming, Bill. You never fail to surprise me. :lol:

You know, as huge as Iron Maiden got during the 80s, I still think Steve Harris is still way underrated. Has an ice cube's chance in hell of getting this particular job, I would guess, but were he to get it, I doubt he'd disappoint.

Comment

Yeah big Maiden fan here too. Funny, Bruce Dickinson is flying for British Airways now. :lol:

I am not concerned with a wider audience I guess. I can't stand rockin' fantasy movies. Like A Knight's Tale. I could not even watch it - rockin' at the Joust indeed!

Although, I did like Black Sabbath in Heavy Metal (With Dio). Then again Sabbath is great, especially their old stuff. I think Ozzy doing War Pigs could go in any movie!

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Iron Maiden opening for Judas Priest was my first concert in 1982 (still have the t-shirt!)

Black Sabbath Vol. 4 was the first metal album I ever heard.

Good times, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by VonWeiner
                        Although, I did like Black Sabbath in Heavy Metal...
                        Hey! Don't forget Blue أ–yster Cult's Veteran of the Psychic Wars :roll: Heavy Metal wouldn't have been nearly as cool without it!

I know what you mean about metal in fantasy films, VonWeiner, though I do think it can be done well with some effort (and, of course, skill). Perhaps it comes down to, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, a decent mix of rock and symphonic music...

Comment

:lol:

Comment

Maybe the trick is to find a composer who can mix and match the Penderecki/von Bingen moods mentioned above. I can't think of a film composer with that broad of a stylistic range, but here are some current classical composers who might fit the bill:

Arvo Part (lots of Eastern Orthodox influence)
                            John Tavener (see above, but also add Islamic and Hindu elements)
                            Sir Harrison Birtwistle (quite ritualistic - did a opera on Sir Gawain)
                            Thomas Ades (hot young Britisher, stylistically very malleable)

Anybody else know of these guys? Or have any reaction?

Comment

Working...
                            X