Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Progress on the Elric Blockbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Just wondering about the actor chosen to protray Elric. I have had this bumping around in my head forever - I think Nicholas Cage has just the right brooding, emaciated look that could pull it off, in addition to his acting ability. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Paul

Having examined some photographs, Paul Bettany seems to have a very appropriate look. Thanks for getting back to me, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the shape this production takes.
    Corum - I'm not well versed on Rodney Matthew's art, tho I have seen some of it, the simularities could well be because we both shaped our images, be it in mind or in inks, from having read and enjoyed the writings.

Leave a comment:

• Corum
    replied
    Nick Dig your description seems somewhat like Rodney Mathew's Elric, although I maybe thinking of his huge Corum posters which adorned my bedroom wall for years!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    That's why I like Paul Bettany.
    He is strong, but not muscled up.
    However, no decisions have been made on the movie yet.
    Perhaps when I leave LA at the end of next week I might have a slightly better idea, but probably nothing definite.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have always pictured

I have found descriptions of Elric in the novels to indicate his figure and aesthetics rather specifically, and I see NO vin diesel. He should have something of an Eldren beauty about him, and carry all of his weight in bone and lean, cut muscle, no rippling body builder shape. His albanism should enhance his appearence when he's at his best and most vital, but also do the opposite when he is not fairing well. Without either medicines or souls, he could barely move. When he wields Stormbringer, it should be difficult to tell if he guides the blade or if it is guiding him, an effect that would be damaged if the sword were not clearly of much heavier constituion than Elric. Another thing I've become very curious about is who might be doing the screaming and eventually voice of the black sword itself. I thought the distorted voice used in BoC's "Black Blade" wasn't bad at all, though thats a bit dated now. And thinking about that leads my to another question - has it been decided who will be doing the weapons for the movie?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    We have some fairly novel ideas about the Elric design, which I hope will look like nothing you've seen before.

Leave a comment:

• Corum
    replied
    Rodney mathews for me was a major influence on my visualisation of Elric and Elric's world. If other people also have this influence, then I wonder if the movie should also reflect some of his artistic visualisations?

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Seeing previews at the cinema recently,
    I noticed that Paul Bettany will be in a movie
    as the lead character.
    It's a romantic movie co-starring
    the Mary Jane W. Spiderman girl, Kiersten Dunst.
    They both play professional tennis players
    who fall for each other.
    I must say he does look like a tennis player.
    Looks like he's a star on the rise.
    Mike's first choice might well be the studio's
    first choice by the time offers are made.
    It's possible

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    The guy who was the model for the first Elric omnibus in the US was probably the best example.

Leave a comment:

• reibsome
    replied
    Lean as a winter weasel....

I think that's how you described him and the werewolf fellow in the Revenge of the Rose.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Elric's wirey rather than weedy. But not a pumper.
    :)

Leave a comment:

• DiGiMac
    replied
    I fully agree with this. No Schwarzy-Elrics please.
    In my mind Rodney Matthews captures the feel I would like to see for Elric himself and in general for the world around him. His baroque armour and weaponry designs must be in there.
    And Melnibone should look something like the castle/city in the background of his picture of Jagged.

Leave a comment:

• Elven
    replied
    "Elric: Vin Diesel he has the muscles and the dryness&q

Oh no way, is it just me but I imagine Elric being very weeding looking, at least at first and although toned I never think of Elric being a 'hulk'. I always thought of him having a Bruce Lee like build at the most and is it not Stormbringer that gives him the power? No Jude for me unless it's an unknown, I think Elric's intelligence, charisma and emotions are much more important otherwise people will just see it as sword and sorcery and miss the deeper elements within so any film made should be more of an arts film than a relation to Conan. If Iwanted poor fantasy I wouldn't read MM!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Elric

Originally posted by Jason
    The film adaptation of Conan had cannibalism in it.I had hoped Elric would make Conan look like a childrens film.
    The violence is going to be curtailed so as not to offend the meek and the parts with people nude will be avoided.Elric is going to be the childrens film,a hollywood movie PG-13 at best.Yes the dreaded PG-13 the big tent that leaks.No R for Elric guaranteed.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Elric

The film adaptation of Conan had cannibalism in it.I had hoped Elric would make Conan look like a childrens film.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X