Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Lessons to be learned from the success of "300"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brimstone
    Moonbeam Traveller
    • Feb 2007

Lessons to be learned from the success of "300"

The first trailer of "300" was terrific. The background music provided by a band that has a "cult following": Nine Inch Nails. This really helped create a buzz in my opinion. If the Elric movie ever gets made, I would suggest having the trailer with background music from the band "Tool". "Tool" has a huge "cult brand" following.

You don't need to spend a large portion of the movies budget on casting big name actors. Honestly movie stars are so overpaid, while a lot of good talent is out there. Not that "300" was Shakespearian, but the movie is well cast without some stupidly large salary being expending on a star or two. The internet is a more effective method to market a movie than raw star power.

Utilize big comic book conventions to help drive intrest in the movie. If I'm not mistaken, the "300" trailer debuted at San Diego comic con. Obviously Frank Miller comes from the comic book world, but these conventions can reach a vital demographic.
  • john turner
    The Stone Thing
    • Dec 2006

tool would be fine for the trailer, but i think the soundtrack should be almost completely original score classical composition. have a non-classical song over the credits, ala LOTR, but elric deserves an orchestra and choir, unmodified as it may be.
    http://lordonly.net lord only original progressive music

potential order without kinetic chaos becomes stagnant chaos.
    potential chaos without kinetic order becomes static order.

Comment

• Mespheber
      Guardian of the Grail
      • Jun 2006

So fuckin' boring orchestral score. Each time a man draw a sword on a screen, there is orchestral score to emphasize the epic mood. Elric requires trve brutal-death-pagan-black-metal.
      UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRGH!!!
      Last edited by Mespheber; 03-14-2007, 03:59 PM.
      Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

• Yisselda
        Eternal Companion
        • Jan 2004

Elric needs a kick ass hard core metal soundtrack

it is a very rock type books etc so why not?

I think few hard core, maybe wagner heavier type classical score too.

A mix of accurate music.

but please, none of that generic ahh music you hear on the more cliched stuff

You know what i mean, the stuff where they repeat random phrases and hope its grand

I have a game where the music is mostly Wagner and Rhimsky korsacoff and stuff. Heavier classical music.

its classical but energetic.

Not boring

And Melnibonian music, obviously.

Or just make a completely original score!

But it certainly cant be wet or soppy, or generic copies of the music from Gladiator.
        It really is annoying when they use generic stuff.

Comment

• Mespheber
          Guardian of the Grail
          • Jun 2006

You may like Prokoviev or Shostakovitch's symphonies: by hearing that, you may find where John Williams or Trevor Jones found their inspirations.

About Elric, why not Therion? Perfect mix of heavy metal with symphonic instruments...
          Last edited by Mespheber; 03-18-2007, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Kelsa Ravenlock
            Wanderer of the Mittel March
            • Jan 2007

or maybe with his history and connections in music he may want to throw some of the soundtrack together himself

though I will say this I think an Excalibur type soundtrack might not be a good thing but considering the fact that he no longer wants Paul Bettany to play Elric for the reason that he was already cast as an albino and he doesn’t want any associations with other works I think he may push for an original or unique sound

oh to the person who thought Wagner would be good I wish to say that I love Wagner (it is in fact at high volume my favorite cleaning music) but in this case I think it would be a horrible choice I mean just think of how many movies have used say die Walkure and then you have things like say star wars and other sci-fi flicks which borrow heavily on it in the case of star wars all of the imperial music was fashioned off Wagner as it was felt that it would give them a little evil nazi vibe
            basically what im saying is Wagner has been thoroughly
            and overly abused already and to a large part by unimaginative people who unable to produce anything emotionally moving have relied on his music to provide an excitement that is sorely missing from there story telling

really in the end would you want to see say elric,moonglum,and divm slorm swooping down out of the sky on the last of the dragons to confront the hoard of chaos amide the deafening roar of a Wagner overture ( of course if someone does want that sort of thing ive a practically unused copy of eragon they can have )

Comment

• Mespheber
              Guardian of the Grail
              • Jun 2006

Err... Wagner was actually used for Excalibur (from Parsifal, Tristan und Isolde and Gِtterdنmmerung) with Carl Orff famous Carmina Burana. Also used for Apocalypse Now for the unforgetable choppers attack sequence, etc, etc...

Whatever we dream to hear on this movie, I believe that Mike has already his own idea... Otherwise, if I may: METAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!

Comment

• Stoatbinger
                Moonbeam Traveller
                • Jul 2006

music for elric movie

Ultimately music sets a scene or tone. Excalibur used the same melody over and over again but with different instruments.
                The music would have perhaps a classic but otherworldly feel, The use of dissonance to represent chaos for example. The story is heroic fantasy with a tragic edge and the music should reflect that according to the scenes to put the audience in the mood.Hopefully no Celtic melodies. It;s NOT titanic

Comment

• Stoatbinger
                  Moonbeam Traveller
                  • Jul 2006

re music Wagner

Yes Wagner and Orf "Carminia Bruna" (I think) But there was a melody played during Igraineis dance and through the movie when Kay's sword was stolen also ehen Perciavla (Parsifal) arrived at court . Elsewhere too I think

Comment

• Kelsa Ravenlock
                    • Jan 2007

I know Wagner was used in Excalibur but in this case I didn’t mean who made the music but the overall feel and use of the music
                    I loved it in Excalibur but that was a long time ago and its been used over and over in so many fantasy and knight adventure knock offs that its kind of become an overdone cliché

later I wrote about him in the specific because of another post though ive been thinking considering how many different kingdoms and cultures are in the story and how radically different they are maybe we will end up with more of a random eclectic music assortment

btw the apocalypse now chopper song was die walkure which i also think is my downstairs neibores least favorite to hear me play =)

on a seperate note i was just wondering what did people think of that movie they recently put out tristan and isolde ?

Comment

• pirate-pixie
                      • Jul 2006

maybe some gothic choral music. not gothic metal but the original gothic singing with an orchestral, kind of like scary, intense chanting. Or het apocalyptica to do the score they take metal, like metallica and set it to classical instruments. oh and a side note 300 was awesome!

Comment

• white wolf's son
                        white Wolf's Son
                        • Oct 2006

Elric theme

I hope they will be balanced with the music, Elric is such a unique character, I wouldn't the film to turn into a Heavy Metal DVD!! I like Excalibur too but I agree, Elric should perhaps have his own music composed, a mix of metal and contemporary, I would love to Elric, Dyvim and Moonglum swoop out of the skies on the Dragons to a great final score. Here's hoping!!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

• Mespheber
                          Guardian of the Grail
                          • Jun 2006

Another band could be Apocalyptica (not the best song but it means a lot to me...)

Comment

• Steve the Dude
                            Nomad of the Time Streams
                            • Jan 2007

I loved Excalibur. Not only the music but everything: director, acting, look, feel. One of the best if not the best fantasy film out there.

Every time I read 'heavy metal' and 'fantasy film' in the same sentence I have a Kull flashback. It's bad, very bad. Please have mercy and stop.

Comment

• Mitch
                              • Dec 2005

I think Christopher Franke - Ex Tangerine Dream (who composed the music for Babylon 5) could do wonders with the Elric Soundtrack.

Comment

Working...
                              X