Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Must Elric Be Portrayed By a Man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must Elric Be Portrayed By a Man?

Yes, Iam new to the forum. I only have two words to say.

TILDA SWINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have GOT to be kidding.
    "My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night;
    But ah my foes and oh, my friends, it gives a lovely light" - Edna St Vincent Millay

Comment

LOL. Actually, Tilde Swinton is very Elric-y, though of course associated now with the White Witch in Narnia. IIRC she was the one who pulled off that fantastic Archangel Gabriel in Constantine as well.

But yeah, I think the character should probably be male, due to him being written as such and all. Call me old fashioned.

Jude Law would be fantastic in the role, though I don't know what the proposed budget for the movie would be. Obviously he'd command top dollar.

But this is a character the screams unknown that could match the role exactly, too. Elric is very defined and specific.

Comment

I don't see why Elric has to be played by a man. I've always imagined him to have a slightly androgynous appearance.

Tilda Swinton? Good call

Comment

I don't see why not - although it would be a little bizarre if the actor were to sound like a woman.

I'm still game to see Johnny Depp do it - being a
          longtime fan of his before he hit the big-time (and did far superior work IMO).

Jude Law "looks" right, as does Paul Bettany, but neither of them has impressed me in anything I've seen them in.
          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I'm all for it. My own pick for Elric would be the woman in my avatar, Carice van Houten. I think she'd be ideal for the role if she only liked stardom better. She recently withdrew from a play after the attention she got for her role in Zwartboek, so I doubt she'd be up for heading a Hollywood franchise.

And to quote Mike from this thread:
            Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
            Not the first time a woman's been considered for the Elric part. The reason I liked Gould's and Amano's work so much is that Elric looks a bit closer to Jerry Cornelius, that is non-gender-specific. I'm pretty sure Universal wouldn't go for the idea, though. I'll keep an eye out for her pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasia
              Yes, Iam new to the forum. I only have two words to say.

TILDA SWINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Hey, why not? Perhaps Cymoril could be played by Vinnie Jones?
              He's well smoked

Comment

Vin Diesel for Yrrykoon!
                Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I didn't know her name, but as soon as you said it I thought Gabriel...I see where you're going, but I don't recall Elric as being all that androgynous.

I still think Paul Bettany's the best of the lot.
                  Last edited by Sailor on the Seas of Freight; 01-30-2007, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry. I want more.

You can't tell me there isn't another actor that can fill Elric's boots!!!
                    Just the fact that everyone is talking abaout Paul Whoever makes me not want him.
                    The Albino?
                    I'll get back to you guys (girls) in a couple of days. I'm sure I can come up with an alternative.

P.S.

Personally, I think Gabriel was on His knees laughing when he saw her portrayal.

Comment

If Elric is a man, he should be portrayed by a man.

Makes sense to me...

Comment

I agree. I just don't see it working out any other way. Plus, If Elric was portrayed by a woman, I would just feel uncomfortable fawning over him/her.

Comment

Brian Blassed for the Cymoril part!

Comment

Originally posted by 1voryChild
                            I agree. I just don't see it working out any other way. Plus, If Elric was portrayed by a woman, I would just feel uncomfortable fawning over him/her.
                            Elric should make people feel uncomfortable

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Neville
                              I don't see why Elric has to be played by a man. I've always imagined him to have a slightly androgynous appearance.

Tilda Swinton? Good call
                              Tilda was originally famous for her portrayal of Orlando in the film adaptation of Virginia Woolf's book. The character changes sex halfway through, and Tilda managed this by switching from trousers to a dress. No other changes. Utterly convincing as slightly fey man before the transformation, and slightly odd woman afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X