Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

On possible repurcussions of the developing movies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The-Hunter
    replied
    Thanks for the info, guys--Although, if I made it sound as if I thought the movies will not turn out to be authentic, that's not the case. I'm sure I will absolutely enjoy them. What I meant to convey is a concern that the status of the books might be jeopardized in the same way I see the Lord of the Rings books being jeopardized in an increasingly literature-ignorant world... I think it would be some sort of tragedy if people saw the movies and then thought of the books as lame in comparison, or what's more, remain ignorant of the books themselves! They are great books and I wouldn't want to see people aware of the movies (it's near impossible to not hear about new movies these days unless you're living overseas) and not realize from where the stories come, that's all--

Again, thanks for the comments--peace

The Hunter

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Right, Jerico!!! :D

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Hi, Hunter.
    I can help Michael out in answering your questions by giving what I know about the movie.
    Michael has a substantial amount of control over the Elric movies. An amount of control unusual for the original author to have. What he had to sacrifice to get this authority? He is allowing Universal to have the rights to future Elric projects, products, and marketing (to say the least). How do I know?
    He told me. I can find the thread if you like.
    Additionally, the producers of these movies are the Weisz (sp?) Bros., makers of American Pie. Don't worry! Like P. Jackson is a fan to LOTR. The W. Bros. are fans to Elric. So it will be done with much TLC as LOTR was done since Michael will be in control, and the producers will have even more influence on the studio, which is ok because they love the Elric stories.
    Right, Michael?

--Jerico

P.S. If you would like to know more, I have been saving a file with a lot of info. discussed on here about the Elric movie-- coming straight from Michael himself:
    About the Elric movie (compiled by Jerico R.)...

The Elric Saga movie. Universal studios. budget 100 million? producers: The Weisz Bros. director ? actors?

Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:12 amآ آ  آ Post subject:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Elric movie being planned will incorporate salient elements from the books but will be even less like the books than LOTR are to the books.
    This is because I want the chance to rewrite the story and as far as I'm concerned improve on it! Three are ultimately planned. After that, Universal have rights to do more. It could be that all the elements in the books will eventually be screened, but not necessarily in the same order!
    =========
    dlackey
    Junior
    Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:17 amآ آ  آ Post subject:
    Will the film at all touch on Elric's "nightmares" (ie traveling to other dimensions to help other aspects of himself)? The only reason I ask is because the most vivid sequence in the entire series to me is the battle with Agak and Gagak. The Elric series really seperated itself from other fantasy series that I read at that time because of scenes like that one. I feel like I'm caught in Elric's nightmare every time I read that part. There would be the problem of most of the audience going "who the hell are these guys" when Corum, Hawkmoon and Erekose were introduced, but then again, I read Sailor on the Seas of Fate before I even knew that you had written stories about other aspects of the Eternal Champion and didn't have much of a problem with it. Actually made me want to track down more of your books!

I know that films shouldn't follow books exactly, and I am glad that it is you who are doing the rewriting. I guess every fan has a scene in mind that they would like to see, and of course you can't cover them all in 3 movies, but I'm putting in my 2 cents worth for Agak and Gagak. They seem like pretty nice folks, for alien sorcerors who want to suck the life out of the multiverse.
    ===========
    آ Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:00 amآ آ  آ Post subject:
    It's definitely the kind of Elric material the Weitz brothers would want to use and it would be good to use that sequence in the second movie, certainly.
    The comic Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer, which I'm doing for DC, is all to do with the dream couches -- the problem of how Elric being so young could know so much is solved by describing how he learns his sorcery and forms his 'unholy' alliances via the dream couches (also touched on in The Skrayling Tree). I just finished the third script, The South Wind's Soul, which has an oddly mythic feel about it. I learn something new all the time.
    Another tool for the tool box...
    =======
    آ dlackey
    Junior
    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:39 amآ آ  آ Post subject:
    Wow that is cool to know and I can't wait to read the new stories! I have read the odd review here and there where the reviewer has trouble with the fact that Elric seems to be too powerful- a summon spell for every situation and a sword that kicks major ass, but they are in the minority. It is my opinion that you gave Elric a fair number of weaknesses to compensate for his powers, something that is lacking in the genre for the most part, and the fact that his people have been making deals with elementals and demons for 10,000 years more than explains how he has an answer for most any situation. What good sorceror wouldn't have counterspells? I think the system of "magic" in Elric is the best that I've ever come across in fantasy. Elric doesn't fling about fireballs and teleport himself all over the place- he has to summon more powerful beings and then beg for their help. That makes sense to me.
    =====
    آ Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:09 amآ آ  آ Post subject:
    Well, you could say that you don't get anything free in Elric's world! No wise old wizards turning up to save the day, for instance... And the graphic novel stories should help explain how he makes his bargains with the elementals of Earth, Water, Air and Fire, as well as how he gradually comes to make compcts with Chaos.
    Hope you find it convincing. If that's the right word!
    The 'no free lunches' is probably at the heart of much of what I write and
    I think that's what I also find in regular mythology. One thing I find lacking in much of the fantasy around today is that it derives too much from other fantasy novels and not enough from the core mythic material.
    As with most fiction, you have to go back to the roots to get the best
    inspiration. It's true of painting, too, I think.
    =========
    Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:58 amآ آ  آ Post subject:
    Yes, I've already said how much I like Gaultier's work.
    I'm presuming that the Weitz brothers will direct. They have had a wide experience and, don't forget, have been reading these books since THEY were kids -- just as Jackson had read Tolkien. I think that counts for a lot and I'm very pleased with their ideas so far.
    I don't know Lucy Liu but she sounds interesting.
    Glad you like the look of Jack Ryder, pard. As I've said elsewhere, I haven't had a chance to see his range, so don't know if he could play Elric, but suspect the studio might want a bigger name.
    Ultimately, while I'll have a say in the selection, it will be up to them.
    They, after all, are risking a lot of their money on this!
    But I trust the Weitz brothers to get the best actors available.
    We've almost run out of titled British actors, of course. About all that's left is Ben Kingsley, a particular favourite of mine. He could play Smiorgan Baldhead, maybe ? Would be nice to have Maggie Smith as one of the pantheon of the Higher Worlds!
    =====
    Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:17 amآ آ  آ Post subject:
    If you check out the USA Today article you'll see that Chris Weitz is talking 'Matrix' not 'Star Wars' -- i.e. he's aware that this isn't going to get a certificate for kids. I wonder what those certificates mean anyway. Last time I was at a movie (Butterfly Effect) a guy had his three year old child with him while on screen dogs were being burned alive, people were being blown up and all kinds of other stuff. I suspect the people who give certificates aren't as much worried by violence as, in this Victorian country, they are by sex. I have seen the treatment which Universal have already approved and can assure you there'll be no holding back on anything necessary to show the world I described. What there won't be, however, will be gratuitous violence. Nobody's ever accused me of doing violence for violence sake and the same will be true of the movie. Re. any other reservations, I refer you back to previous correspondence in this thread. Studios know enough, I suspect, to trust most producers, these days. I don't anticipate much negative interference from Universal.
    ======
    Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:31 amآ آ  آ Post subject:
    The answer is, of course, that Arioch appears as you would rather see him, unless he's a heaving mass of amorphous 'stuff' before he assumes whatever shape is most attractive to you. Generally I describe him as a very handsome youth with a beautiful voice, but he takes various manifestations, depending on circumstances and viewpoint. In the movie we will show him in mouth ["both," he meant --Jer] his amorphous, unpleasant form and his 'golden youth' form.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I actually read the LOTR books after seeing the first movie, my interest sufficently peaked. Think of it like this, the omnibus editions will probably be brought back into major print with new covers etc., and more people will be aware of them and have access to them. I daresay it will widen the potential audience for the books a little.

Leave a comment:

• On possible repurcussions of the developing movies...

I've read the Elric books and thoroughly enjoyed them, despite some initial reluctance on my part concerning those that introduced me to them (the type that sees everything as being so intensely great that you are inevitably forced to counter-act that enthusiasm with a touch of cynicism), and am overjoyed to hear that the books are to be translated to movie format.

Since early childhood when the Lord of the Rings was read to my brothers and me, I have been a fan, as it were. And when the movies came out, I was initially very anxious to see them and how they would turn out. They were decent interpretations (still nothing is as good as one's own imagination) that had both glaring advantages and bold disadvantages. The scenery and score fit very well, as did all of the realistic props and the flow of the movies was generally close to the book, ommitting certain things due to time constraints, and adding other things due to the Hollywoodization of it all. However, one of the biggest tragedies of the series is that many people who were not brought up with the Lord of the Rings, or who had not yet been introduced to them, saw the movie first and then, may or may not have gone to the original books. Many people have seen the movies and thought that the books were not as good, or not as original (people have a weird sort of irony about them, don't they?). This is especially true in a world and times in which the easiest path is always the best--why waste hours upon hours reading when you can have the information and story spoon-fed to you on all the ease and with all the power of the big screen.

My question to you is this: Do you think it's a possibility, or that it's more than likely that the same will become of your works? I know, as a budding writer myself, how much work one put's into one's writings (and Elric's saga is no exception, I think), and cannot help but think that people will see the movies first and come to read the books, only to be dissappointed. If you do think that this is a probable and popular outcome, what are your impressions?

The Hunter
Working...
X