Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

6 movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 movies?

Is the plan to definitely make all six movies, just the first one, or will it depend on the success of the first one?

I think the plan is to make three films (depending upon the success of the first, of course). IIRC the first movie will consist of Elric of Melniboné and The Dreaming City. Mike's posted the precise details elsewhere in the forums.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

So Stormbringer is ultimatly the last movie depending on success? If it is then that gives me time to actually read Stormbringer.

A trilogy seems like a good idea, since the Elric saga as I've read it dosn't seem like a six movie deal. Most of it is just stuff Elric finds himself in. I can see a mix of "Elric of Melnibone" and early bits of "Weird of the White Wolf" as the movie. I cannot make a better idea of a trilogy until I have read the entire series. I should get started on that.
      Last edited by The Mythanian; 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Whatever the format, Elric movies would simply rule. I am confident he will be well represented on the big screen. If you think the religious right was bothered by Harry Potter, just wait... That is like being offended by the music of the Partridge Family when Judas Priest is about to take the stage. If we are going to have Fantasy movies, let's have the genuine article. Full tilt swords, magic and mayhem complete with the stealing of souls.

Comment

Yeah, The Religious Right is going to hate this. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that they don't try to block it when we go.

Comment

They can go to Hell if they have a problem with Elric. I say that as a Christian. There's a little something called tolerance, kind of a main theme of the Bible...

Comment

If they give Mike hands on input and take heed of his advice....it'll be a masterpiece.
              If they don't allow enough of his input, the outcome will be in the hands of a stranger.

Comment

Please don't turn this into another Conan

I was drawn to this website because I was thinking about Michael Moorcock's work this week (no idea why), so I Googled "Elric Movie" and was astounded to find that there will actually _be_ one. I hope there's at least a hint of the Multiverse/Eternal Champion background: something to differentiate it significantly from Conan-type movies.

As for movie music - I'd really like to hear Dead Can Dance do at least one track from the "Within the Realms of Dying Sun" era. Hey: I can dream, right?

Cheers all,

UD
                Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Originally posted by Sector 7G
                  Whatever the format, Elric movies would simply rule. I am confident he will be well represented on the big screen. If you think the religious right was bothered by Harry Potter, just wait... That is like being offended by the music of the Partridge Family when Judas Priest is about to take the stage. If we are going to have Fantasy movies, let's have the genuine article. Full tilt swords, magic and mayhem complete with the stealing of souls.
                  __________________________________________________ _______________

Oh my gosh..first off Im a new member to this site and I love the Elric novels next to Robert E Howard's Conan novels.

If you think Harry Potter raised a stink with the religious right just wait and see the reaction to Elric. Imoh I think they (the zealots if you will..) will make alot of noise and huge waves about this movie especially if the movie stays true to the novels and I hope it does.

Can anyone tell me the tentative date for filming or if a director has even come on board. I did not know there were plans for this movie. I am very excited.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
                    If they give Mike hands on input and take heed of his advice....it'll be a masterpiece.
                    If they don't allow enough of his input, the outcome will be in the hands of a stranger.
                    Aye I agree 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mythanian
                      Yeah, The Religious Right is going to hate this.
                      It's always fun to weewee off the Religious Right (well, any kind of Right when it comes to that).

Comment

Well its nice to know that Elric may see the light of day on a movie screen.
                        Still no one has really answered the question. Is there a tentative date to begin production. Has anyone come on board to helm the movie(s)? ie direct.

Thats the scariest part for me anyway: Finding out who will direct a movie that you really want to see on the wide screen. You hear a name that either you recognize or dont recognize and if you dont recognize the name the first ? you ask is well what films has this person directed? Im only speaking for myself.

In a previous comment I referred to the religious right as "zealots if you will". Well I think zealot is too harsh a branding. So let me tone it down and just stick with religious right. I believe in God in my own way etc.. and dont believe everything in my Bible word for word.

Just to reiterate I hope the movie stays true to the book... The director should shows us why people fear Elric's sword if you follow.

Comment

Originally posted by J Goodspeed
                          Still no one has really answered the question. Is there a tentative date to begin production. Has anyone come on board to helm the movie(s)? ie direct.
                          Sorry, the names Chris & Paul Weitz have been attached to the project for some time iirc. I'm not sure (without Searching) whether they're just down to write the script or to produce/direct as well. Of course, currently they're both working on the movie versions of the His Dark Materials trilogy, so that probably needs to be completed before (if) they make any inroads into an Elric trilogy.

You should try Searching on 'Weitz' in posts by 'Michael Moorcock' and see what he's said about them on the matter.
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Sorry, the names Chris & Paul Weitz have been attached to the project for some time iirc. I'm not sure (without Searching) whether they're just down to write the script or to produce/direct as well. Of course, currently they're both working on the movie versions of the His Dark Materials trilogy, so that probably needs to be completed before (if) they make any inroads into an Elric trilogy.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the information. I will look into it. From your description of the Weitz's writers, directors.. it reminds me a little of Bryan Springer the guy who helmed the Superman flick. Bryan put the remake of Logan's Run on hold just to make Superman and from what I heard Superman wasnt a decent movie to see. Im not claiming that the Weitz's may be doing this as well or are bad producers because I know nothing about them.

I also still havent rented the recent Superman movie yet. Whenever someone who works at a video store tells you a movie is bad ie recent Superman flick when you dont utter a word it's probably bad, but then again it depends on the person I suppose.

Comment

I will answer all of your questions

Hi there! Today is my first day of posting here, I see many questions on ths thread. I will do my best to answer them all:

1) is the plan to make all 6 movies depending on the success of the first one?
                              No. Last I knew the plan was to make a trilogy. The first movie would be and adaptaion of the first novel and the first short story from the third. The second has yet to be determined and the last would adapt the 6th novel.

2) Who are Chris & Paul Weitz?
                              The brothers who gave us the America Pie Triology. No lie.

imdb entry for Chris Weitz
                              http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919363/

imdb entry for Paul Weitz
                              http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919369/

3) is there a tentative production start date or a director?
                              I asked this myself. So far the answers are no to both.

4) How was the recent Superman movie? Definitive Superman.

By the way ... about Logan's Run ... that descion for Bryan Singer to direct Superman returns instead of Superman ... that was made more likely by Warners more than Bryan Singer. Please note that while Bryan Singer is naturally attached to the next Superman sequel, no one is official attached to Logan's Run. That's Warners, not Bryan Singer.

Comment

Working...
                              X