Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Riddle me this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddle me this...

Our favorite evil hero Elric as we all know, is not nice. He does things, and thinks in ways that may not be acceptable for a big screen hero. How will Elric be portrayed in the screenplay? Will he be a crybaby with a crappy attitude? Will he remain unchanged and hero status thwarted with complete disregard for little kids that we hope won't be able to watch elric sucking the souls of the innocent? Or will he be a power puff girl with a sword? I for one, am VERY interested in how he is going to be portrayed. Yes Arioch is a cool figure, what one isnt who is all powerful, sarcastic and mysterious? Good stuff! However, i find myself bonding to Elric and relating to his dark desires. He, with Stormbringer, are my favoirite character of all time. I for one feel it is very important that Elric not be sillyafied (add that word to your dictionaries pls) and turned into a whiney little crybaby like 90% of orlando bloom's characters. Bloom was merely an example, and i know and trust mike will not allow poor casting decisions such as that but everytime i picture them screwing up Elric i see Blooms blank stare and cheesy over-acting. Mike if you could provide some insight into this it would be greatly appreciated.

Somehow I can't shake this feeling of dread. A feeling that there's a likely chance that the movie types are going to turn Elric into an emo kid.

It definitely would be a tragedy if someone like Orlando Bloom were chosen. Even Johnny Depp, which I think has been thrown around a bit, seems completely wrong.

I'm actually really skeptical about these guys being able to pull it off. Hollywood has a bad track record, at least to me.

Comment

My vote: Clint Eastwood should play Elric. :D
      My signature is

Comment

one cannot bear a screenplay if Elric is a 'crybaby'... He will not be a so-called: 'emo' kid, either... Emo? *Laughs sardonically* I am sure that the screenplay will be a fairly good one...

Redbeard, Clint Eastwood? Hah! Hah! Hah! As long as it is not Orlando Bloom or Brad Pitt... *Shudders*
        They're all true... Especially the lies.

Comment

Elric is a complex character. A hero or villian depends on your perspective. Please remember that this is at Universal Studios the most mainstream, family-oriented movie studio out there.

To do this justice, the Elric movie series needs to be a series of fantasy films that are Rated R, with a protagonist that is an alien, who is complex, intelligent, selfish, and above all, a nililist. Is Universal really going to make a big-budget investment to this kind of a movie with such a character?

Comment

Knowing how the recent trend of Hollywood disappointments are steadily getting worse, they will probably replace Moonglum with something fuzzy and marketable as a childs toy. Or buy the rights to Jar Jar Binks and really screw the movie up. I would pay good money to see Jar Jar get eaten by Stormbringer though......"Mesa no wantin mesa soul sucked!"

Comment

WELL SAID!

I have said something similar from the beginning.
              You said it better!!

Originally posted by Steve the Dude

To do this justice, the Elric movie series needs to be a series of fantasy films that are Rated R, with a protagonist that is an alien, who is complex, intelligent, selfish, and above all, a nililist. Is Universal really going to make a big-budget investment to this kind of a movie with such a character?

Comment

Well, just look at what Disney did with Pirates of the Caribbean. They're the first PG-13 rated Disney movies, and though he's undeniably funnier than Elric, I'm not sure Jack Sparrow is a nicer guy. He just doesn't have a soul-eating sword and a doom-laden destiny.

In regards to the movie's rating, it might be possible to keep it to a PG-13 rating without seriously compromising the story. I don't remember the stories having a lot of swearing or explicit sex, just a lot of violence, and that's easy to get away with in Hollywood. I think Elric's definitely something for teenagers, so they ought to be able to go and see it.

I think it's hopeful that Universal has expressed serious interest in an Elric movie. I don't know how it was sold to them (or by whom), but I doubt they bought the option because it seemed like a nice family film for the holiday season. They must know that they can't expect a new Harry Potter out of it.

Comment

Sex is mentioned but it was like...black curtained in the books.

Look at the positions Jack and Elric are in though. Elric's a ruler thus has the responsibilities of one. Jack's a pirate. Murder and mayham's part of both jobs.

Comment

bob-e-bane, thank you very much!

Shadowheart, you raised my concerns ... PG-13 or R? Sure, there's no swearing and the sex is implied, fair enough. The violence ... that's something else... I'm not sure if PG-13 would do it ...

As for the character of Elric as far as I know he is unique as far as movies go. Jack Sparrow is Disney's Han Solo, not Elric.
                    __________________________________________________ ______________
                    I think it's hopeful that Universal has expressed serious interest in an Elric movie. I don't know how it was sold to them (or by whom), but I doubt they bought the option because it seemed like a nice family film for the holiday season. They must know that they can't expect a new Harry Potter out of it.
                    __________________________________________________ _______________
                    I would not be sure about that. More likely is that's exactly what they think. They're pretty stupid in Universal, last I checked.

Thank you for your time Shadowheart.

Comment

Shadowheart: Oh, my! [Preening]

I had always thought that David Bowie would have been a great Elric, but I think he is a bit long in the tooth these days for the character, as would be Eastwood.

I would actually like to see some unknown play the part of the Kinslayer, and not an established actor. Maybe a better-known actor for another part, such as Yrkoon, Dyvim Tvar, or maybe even Moonglum. I always thought Brian Blessed would make a great Moonglum (again, though, a tad long in the tooth these days).

I have to admit, though, that a lot of the names thrown about to play Elric are just not recognizable to me [aside from Depp, but his face isn't "elongated" enough for the role of a Melnibonean], so a lot of these folks would be pretty much no-names to my limted experience with the modern entertainment world.

Of course, the perfect casting as Count Smiorgan, Mr. Moorcock himself, as he has said in other places.
                      "My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night;
                      But ah my foes and oh, my friends, it gives a lovely light" - Edna St Vincent Millay

Comment

As for the character of Elric as far as I know he is unique as far as movies go. Jack Sparrow is Disney's Han Solo, not Elric.
                        Solo was a smuggler who accidently acquired a debt to a gangster, and who was reluctant to help the heroes. Sparrow is a pirate who sold his soul to what appears to be the pirate equivalent of the devil, and who repeatedly deceives and betrays the heroes.
                        And speaking of Star Wars, the hero of the prequel movies slaughtered a village, a room full of children and a bunch of unarmed politicians, albeit it was mostly off-screen.

My point is just that these aren't the eighties, things have changed. When you ask people for their favourite director, the default answer isn't Spielberg anymore, but Tarantino. A faithful portrayal of Elric would still be a new step to make, but not such a big one.
                        The only person I've heard who has had direct dealings with Universal is Mike, and he seems confident enough that if it gets done, it'll get done well.

Comment

Jack Sparrow helped Will Turner out and didn't betray him, last I checked.

People may prefer Tarantino, fine. Does not matter. Studios still prefer Spielberg, who was and is the golden boy of Hollywood, no doubt about it.

Yes, those killing done by Anakin did take place off-camera. That's not going to work for Elric.

Look at the recent fantasy films that were huge successes:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Harry Potter Series.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

All well done, mainsteam and family friendly fantasy. Feel free to include Disney's Pirates films as well. Are any of these Elric? Not even close.

These days Hollywood can't even make a Conan film. Elric doesn't have much of a chance.

Hopefully, Mr. Moorcock will give us an update on this, as I have asked him on another thread.

Comment

Jack Sparrow helped Will Turner out and didn't betray him, last I checked.
                            Have you checked the second movie, then? Even in the first one Jack is shown using Will as leverage to get his ship back from Barbosa, but in the second Jack sets Will up to be taken by Davy Jones in his place.

Well, your arguement essentially seems to be that Hollywood is incapable of doing Elric because they haven't done something exactly like it before. If that's so, I can see where your pessimism about the movie's chances is coming from, although fatalism would seem more appropriate.

On a related note, it'll be interesting to see how well 300 will do next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowheart
                              Well, your arguement essentially seems to be that Hollywood is incapable of doing Elric because they haven't done something exactly like it before. If that's so, I can see where your pessimism about the movie's chances is coming from, although fatalism would seem more appropriate.

On a related note, it'll be interesting to see how well 300 will do next month.
                              If you're refering to my original post, my outlook is more observational than anything. I'm interested in knowing how they'll overcome the speedbumps, not saying it's impossible for them to create a movie worth watching. I trust michael will ensure quality, especially if the film truly has a $100m budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X