Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric not my favourite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elric not my favourite

This may be controversial, but the Elric books were never my favourite of MM's Eternal Champion series (I wonder why?). I much preferred the Von Bek stories, The End of Time sequence, and the Nomad of the Time Streams books. I'm not saying I disliked them, I just felt the other books had more interesting ideas and plotlines, and although Elric as a character was interesting (I enjoyed his melancholy in my schadenfreude), I felt the stories as a whole did not hang together as well.

I would appreciate other opinions on this?

Alan N
    “The world would be happier if men had the same capacity to be silent that they have to speak”

HERRRRRRRRRRETIC!

Just kidding. Indeed, Elric is not the best written, even if the last novels are much more better. I admit I had more pleasure reading Corum. On the other hand, Alexandre Dumas is one of the worst french writer but his stories remain famous...
    Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Originally posted by AlanNN
      This may be controversial, but the Elric books were never my favourite of MM's Eternal Champion series (I wonder why?). I much preferred the Von Bek stories, The End of Time sequence, and the Nomad of the Time Streams books. I'm not saying I disliked them, I just felt the other books had more interesting ideas and plotlines, and although Elric as a character was interesting (I enjoyed his melancholy in my schadenfreude), I felt the stories as a whole did not hang together as well.

I would appreciate other opinions on this?

Alan N
      There are several of us here who prefer non-Elric stories! Not a matter of how they're written, I'd say, but whether or not content appeals to you, and sometimes form (like White Wolf's Son which is both Elric and von Bek).
      I liked the Dancers at the End of Time very much at a certain stage of my life, later the Pyat books and the von Beks that still mean a lot to me. First came Hawkmoon, actually, but that was so long ago.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

When I first started reading Mike's books in the '80s I had a preference for Hawkmoon to Elric, but last year I re-read both the Runestaff quartet and the original Elric novellas from Science Fantasy. And I have to say, 20+ years later, I found the Elrics more satisfying. I haven't re-tackled any of the later Elric novels yet; all I'm saying is that tastes change over time.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

My first "champion" was Hawkmoon in a far 77, but after two years I knew Elric and he become my preferred...and I think he will be the same forever for me
          Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

I love Erekose, Elric, Corum, and Hawkmoon almost equally.
            However I must say that I've always had a slight favoritism towards Corum during the time in which he still had, the EYE OF RHYNN and the HAND OF KWLL. I wish he could have maintained those body parts until the end of The Sword And The Stallion. I sometimes wonder if Mike would not have had KWLL reclaim them so soon (at the end of The King Of The Swords) looking back in retrospect?
            Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 08-06-2006, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I started with Elric, but I too was a Hawkmoon fan fo while. I went back to Elric after Fortress of the Pearl.

I liked Courm and Erekose/John Daker as equals.

I think I liked Dorian Hawkmoon because he was more of a "standard hero" who stood by the basic human morality.

There is so much that I forgot. Ten years ago, I would read one of the books and call my friend right away to discuss it. There are so many wondrous and fantastic parts to all the stories that, bringing it down to one character is difficult and really does sell the "whole tale" a bit short. now that I think about it because each of the EC and characters like Gaynor,Knlosterheim and some non EC have really contributed to the Multiverse and have done fun and interesting things.

And to go outside he EC, yes, there is so much to choose from that is just as good, only different. I really liked that story about the D-Squaders fro intance and felt The Fireclown was really cool as well. I need the Pyats when the come to America.

Also, I liked about,well, all Moorcock books,novel and stories is that there re so many interesting characters. What is really great, unlike some writers, the characters seem more real and there are some like Wheldrake that are very fascinating, but they are not out hacking people doen or throwing out sorcery spells, they are just normal people. It is very refreshing from the role-playing world and background I started in, to see characters and worlds that are more realistic in their approach, not everyone is a warrior or has some great cosmic significance to the story.

I also latched on to minor characters alot, like in the Corum's, I liked Ilbrec and Goffanon and a few others that where in one scene or two that I don't hear many people talk about.

I think the best part of Hawkmoon was, D'averc,the Frenchman,Baron Kalan,Melodius and crew,King Huon was pretty wild for a character, but the best parts are when Jhary-a-Conel gets in there, I love his timing and places where he shows up in the tales.

I like the fact that Hawmoon went from sword and sorcery with some technology to a science-fiction, futuristic type story.

I guess I could say Elric is my favourite at this point in the Conjuction because, he just has done so many things and had a stronger effect on the Gods themselves, he was the most useful when it came to helping The Cosmic Balance. I could identify , a little with the brooding and intropection, and I used to be somewhat of a weakling, But aside from the incredibe ideas and issues raised, I pick Elric for my favourite due to TMOTS and the fact that they simply are the most entertaining stories and I can feel for the character, as though I could put myself in his place.

all that aside, everyone should choose their own favourite for heir own reasons, there certainly is alot of material to choose from. I might read something tomorrow that I will make my favourite.

Thanks!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                I think the best part of Hawkmoon was, D'averc,the Frenchman,Baron Kalan,Melodius and crew,King Huon was pretty wild for a character, but the best parts are when Jhary-a-Conel gets in there, I love his timing and places where he shows up in the tales.
                I think you may have hit the nail on the head there, Lem' old chap (and this relates also your questions to Mike in the Hawkmoon the end? thread in the Q&A). In retrospect it's the supporting characters who are the most interesting ones in the Runestaff series - rather than Hawkmoon himself, which is rather a problem when he's supposed to be the protagonist.

D'Averc is, without doubt, the best character in the Runestaff tetralogy, and Dorian pales somewhat whenever he's around. Re-reading the tetralogy last year I was struck by how petulant Hawkmoon can be. It's often D'Averc who tells him to make the best of their lot, when often Hawkmoon would prefer to give up.

Perhaps that's part of Hawkmoon's appeal when you're a teenager? As an adult reader it can become a little tiresome. The series is still pretty good though, so I wouldn't want anyone to think I was down with the books.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks,David!

That is the greater truth of it.

I guess that I just needed someone to pinpoint my thoughts.

There's nothing for it,but to press on!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I'm pretty agreed with you David, about D'Averc
                    Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, Elric's not just a character, he's an icon. As books the Elrics may not be Mike's best, but Elric can exist without them. Of Mike's creations I think Jerry Cornelius is the only other who can do that. (not a bad score by any means)

What I love about Elric is that he's always subtly but distinctly over the top. That took some getting used to as I continued reading EC books after Elric... the others were at first disappointing because they weren't larger than life to the same degree.

Comment

Shun the unbeliever! Actually I feel the same way. Von Bek is probably my favorite of all of MM's major characters. Possibly because he's like a JC or Elric that you can relate to.

Although there are other characters I wish I'd seen more of... I always wanted to see more of Quire, or even a Quire-like guy.

Comment

Other Characters

We need more of the Red O'Dowd and his fish. He was great.
                          “The world would be happier if men had the same capacity to be silent that they have to speak”

Comment

Well, I guess this is all the more reason for me to finish up the Elric book reading and move on to the rest. I've got a LOT of reading to do!

Comment

BLASPHEMY!
                              Well,Elric was my first love,and eternal.True,it is not as well writen as most of Mike's books.But I like Eric better than the well written Corum.
                              Hawkmoon is also a fascinating story,more interesting than Corum but has certain disadvantages.The hero is not the best created character(D'averk and the rest of the cast are better).Also,the ending is somehow not keeping up at the usual Moorcockian standards.I was wondering for years why it so.Obviously it was due to Mike's incrediple speed.
                              Four books in three(3!!!) days?!?Wow...
                              I really enjoyed Erekose-Daker too.Beck is great but I haven't read much.

Comment

Working...
                              X