Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which Director would you most like to see handle this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perssonicus
    replied
    Forgive me if I am repeating someone else's ideas....

I thought the general feel and look of either "Batman Begins" or "Children of Men" would be a good fit for the tales of the Stealer of Souls. Either director would be great.

I could even live with a Peter Jackson treatment, diversions from the story line of Lord of the Rings aside, he DOES produce a fine fantasy film. The only problem would be his penchant for rewrites of already excellent stories...Mike would have to stand with the backbone of Dorian Hawkmoon at the gates of Londra....
    Last edited by Perssonicus; 01-15-2007, 09:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve the Dude
    replied
    who should direct the Elric movie

Who should direct the live action Elric movie? Honestly, I can only think of one man: John Boorman (Zardoz, Excalibur, the Emerald Forest). I think only he can pull it of. Hopefully, Mr. Moorcock and the Weitz brothers find the director soon; else I fear that this movie is dead.

Leave a comment:

• Ulrik Skarsol
    replied
    What about Quentin Tarantino?

I think that altought it is not is ussual genre, he could make a very good Elric movie because, and this is very important to me, he will not make of Elric a clishe heroe.
    I would hate to see elric turned into a "good guy" just because the market ask it. Elric is one of the most complex caracters I know, able to do jusitice and good deeds and to commite crimes and abominable works sufering there after the burden of this crimes.
    I don´t know if Tarantino is the best director for this movie, but I would sllep well kowing that Elric is in good hands.

The directors that I DON`T LIKE for the Elric movie are Rob Zombie (although hee´s a great musician), Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and all who make commercial shit only to get rich.

Leave a comment:

• voilodian ghagnasdiak
    replied
    Francis Ford Coppola is the same age as Mike and still directs films.
    He proved his ableness to glide effortlessly through the eerie and macabre with Apocalypse Now . The only risk would be his abilitity to adjust to the settings, props and characters of the fantasy realm.
    As far as age is concerned...If he is still breathing, willing and able, why deny him the opportunity to weave his enchanting magic into an Elric movie?

Leave a comment:

• Ghostfaced
    replied
    Tim Burton? Christ, please no. Last thing i want elric to become is some stupid goth role model. NO THANKS! If Elric heard that he'd slay you for even suggesting that director.

Leave a comment:

• white wolf's son
    replied
    Elric movie

How about Ridley Scott? I agree also with Jerry Bruckheimer, perhaps also John Boorman as he did a great job of Excalibur back inthe '80s.

NOT Oliver Stone, although I liked Platoon I have been put off his work for life after enduring Alexander, aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!!!! so I wouldn't like to see a brilliant concept like Elric ruined like that.

Leave a comment:

• Crusader_of_Melnibone
    replied
    Originally posted by bob-e-bane
    City of lost children was brilliant.
    I love all of the films by those french dudes.

David Lynch
    Terry Gilliam
    Peter Jackson (I liked the LOTR films. sorry)

I know!! That Guellmo Del Toro guy.
    He did Hellboy.
    Considering the fact that it is a rated R project as it should be, I'm gonna have to agree 100% with bob-e-bane :D

Guillermo Del Toro would be my first choice and let me explain: WATCH CLOSELY HOW HE HANDLES THE CAMERA. I love his camera work! So smooth, covers panoramic views moving slowly and steadily, like an object in space. IMHO, he has directed the best action scenes I've seen in years and he loves mythology stuff combined with historical scenery & background (Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, even Hellboy & Blade II) and he surely does not hesitate to add gore.

A second option would be Jean-Pierre Jeunet (City of Lost Children, Alien IV) for his surreal feeling and also excellent camera angles, kinda more deranged.

David Lynch, who is my favorite director, would add a totally different aspect to the Elric character, a risky choice (for commercial benefit) but a 'character-based drama masterpiece' for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Magog
    replied
    Possible director

I can't believe nobody suggested Tim Burton!

David Lynch? I'd love to see him do it, but if you view it as a trilogy, for the best result i feel you'd want the same director throughout. Sadly, i don't think Mr Lynch would be up for that marathon (or Burton).

So of those already suggested i'd prob. go with Guellmo Del Toro. Rodriguez would never touch it, but that got me thinking that the movie could really look incredible if given his black & white treatment..

Leave a comment:

• Ghostfaced
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Yes, Jennifer, an Elric movie is being made by the Weitz brothers for Universal.
    I believe Weitz bros are Producing the movie and not directing it? Am i wrong in assuming this?

Leave a comment:

• Vampyro
    replied
    As far as anyone is concerned it IS the Weitz brothers who will be directing!

Leave a comment:

• Ghostfaced
    replied
    I believe John Woo should be considered for the directing role here. It would be a great new thing for him, and another thing would be his style as a director. Mr. Woo, in all the movies i've seen from him (mostly earlier ones), has his main role characters possess a weapon which they treasure and care greatly for. An example of this would be Face Off, more popularly he has 2 golden guns he keeps in a case and exhibits almost a love for them which to me would be a great start in getting Stormbringer and Mournblade the attention they require in this movie / saga. That's not to say someone else couldn't do it, what i'm really saying is if John Woo were appointed as the director of this movie i'd think, 'Nice, you're holding my baby. I think you 'can' do it, now don't screw it up or i'll break your legs!'. Of course, i'd never do such a thing. If anyone is truly interested in deciding for themselves if Woo would be a good fit, review some of his films perhaps even watch some and you'll probably see what i mean.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000247/

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    I'm still pulling for Robert Rodriguez. He'll direct, edit and do the soundtrack at a pace which will see all the books cinematized within Mike's lifetime. And not to mention, under budget.

Leave a comment:

• Kamelion
    replied
    Hasn't it already been decided that the Weitz brothers are directing the movie?

If that's not a given, I'd love to see Alfonso Cuaron give it a go. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan, but I loved the feel and look that he gave to Prisoner of Azkaban.

Leave a comment:

• Mario
    replied
    Fair enough. I was thinking more of the visual sense. Especially their use of color.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario
    Tsui Hark (Zu, Once Upon a Time in China) or Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers). I think the wuxia mindset, along with the tragic nature of many of their films, would do well.
    As long as they don't do too much of that flying harness stuff...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X