Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Dragon Helm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dragon Helm...

Okay - something that can make or break the film...The LOOK of the film...
    There is a severe danger in allowing any aspect of it to look hokey.
    In particular - there have been many fantasy works done over the years that just add to the general audience perception that fantasy is hokey and silly. The dragon helm if done wrong - will do just that. I've always imagined it similar to the way the helmets recently shown in the LOTR films looked for the Riders of Rohan and/or the soldiers of Gondor.These movie in particular looked less hokey not just because of the film's budget, but because they combined different aspects of various practical armors in a homogenous fashion.
    I've always imagined the helm to look as follows....
    A taller "peaked" helmet with a nasal(square or perhaps downward arrow-pointed), cheekplates whether firm or hanging leaving a broad "T" shaped opening for the eyes and mouth (not counting the nasal of course). I'ce always imagined the dragon crest either with it's dragon head pointed down at the cross of the brow, protruding onto the nasal a bit, or alternately rearing up above it and forward (like the gesso and plaster crest of a knight at tourney). The wings i've always imagined alongside the helmet like the wings (not horns) that a Norse valkyrie could be wearing. They could wrap tight to the helm and around it or stand up straight and i think it would be "believable".

Blackrazor

i had a picture of a wicked dragon helm....
    cant seem to find it right now.

When it comes time to die
    Sing your death song
    and die like a warrior.

http://www.aliensurgeon.com

Comment

So what?

Originally posted by Blackrazor
      There is a severe danger in allowing any aspect of it to look hokey.
      In particular - there have been many fantasy works done over the years that just add to the general audience perception that fantasy is hokey and silly.
      Who cares what the "general audience" think? As long as it's acceptable to us real fantasy fans, then screw them. (This is, of course, seen from a principal and not an economical POV.)

- Spectrum

Comment

Spectrum Wrote
        Who cares what the "general audience" think? As long as it's acceptable to us real fantasy fans, then screw them.
        I think out of respect to Mike alone that the film should have multiversal compatibility to all!!
        Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 08-19-2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I always imagined the dragon's head and neck forming part of the nasal (the bit on Norse and Norman helmets that protects the nose), with the wings swooping down either side of the face. Having an iron dragon on top would seem to make the helmet rather cumbersome, and the outspread wings would probably get caught on something. This would be particularly important when fighting on board a ship (which Elric seems to spend much of his time doing) with lots of sails, rigging, etc to get in the way.

Comment

As I understand it, the point of heavy crests on helmets is to absorb/deflect sword blows.
            Best/Mario

Comment

I thought something like this

But we can study other versions of it
              Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

I think helmet is like the "barbuta" a typical helmet used until XVII.
                http://www.deltin.it/barbuta.jpg
                http://www.whiterosearmoury.co.uk/fo...ward%20015.jpg

And an armour like this ( polished black obviously )
                http://www.armordillo.co.uk/ARMOUR&C...c-Armour-3.jpg

Last edited by Hieronymus; 08-26-2006, 06:00 AM.
                Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Well, I think I might get shot for just bringing this up....but anyway here it goes ;)

I think a rather nice depection of a dragon helm can been seen at some of the model in GW's range (no wonder of course since so much of their fantasy game is a total rip off of Mike's works).
                  For example the hemlets of these knights.

Comment

Too tall. Tilt your head back and the weight would pull it right off your head :)
                    Best/Mario

Comment

Didnt the book specify that it had something he pulled down over his eyes?

Comment

300 - New film from makers of 'Sin City'

Has anyone seen the trailers of the new film '300'? Apparently it's about the Phoenecian wars, and is in a vaguely similar visual style as Sin City - It looks AWESOME! I'm thinking Elric should also have this stylised surreal look to highten the sense of unreality. Does anyone else agree/disagree??

Comment

I don't want it to be comic booky if that's actually a term hehe. I don't want it to be like any other movie i've seen. I want it to be innovative and an adaptation of michael's vision. He will not let this movie be anything it should not be, that is why he's denied requests to make the elric saga a movie in the past on numerous occasions. Simply, the technology at the times could not support the grandeaur of his vision. I believe he feels that with the budget Universal has proposed, the directors and producers at his disposal an elric movie of epic enough proportions can be created. I think it will be worth the wait, but i'm just so exited at the thought of the movie i want them to hurry up! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bish1157
                            I'm thinking Elric should also have this stylised surreal look to highten the sense of unreality. Does anyone else agree/disagree??
                            It would certainly be interesting to think of using something like it for other planar scenes (in Ameeron for instance, esp the claustrophobic womb chamber where Mournblade and Stormbringer reside). Might be a bit overbearing to use it for the whole film though. In 300 it's being used specifically to create the effect of a Miller comic come to life.

Comment

I strongly agree - that highly stylized visual method allows for a level of immersion that I believe this story would benfit from -

Comment

Working...
                              X