Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dave McKean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave McKean

I just purchased and watched Mirrormask and the creative team that put that film together would breath incredible life into the vision of an Elric film. Everything about it - costumes, sets, effects - could easily depict the surreal world of Elric - the spires of Melnibone' and Pan Tang, the weird, semi-organic armor of the Dragon Knights, Arioch himself.

Anyone who has not seen this film should make an effort to do so, then watch the extras at the end and listen to the things said by McKean and Neil Gaiman about how they put it together. It sounds like they have gotten a handle on creating fantastic worlds on the cheap.

agreed

Dave would be a fitting art director for the movie, especially the melnibonèan elements. His imagination would give the original twist that the film needs visually. It would be sad to se Melnibonè interpreted in a conventional and cliche d&d way. im expecting a city of glass with impossible angles and perspectives. The dreamlike atmosphere should be central.

Comment

I think he may be a bit TOO surreal. You need a certain amount of grounding in order to contrast the mundane realms (Melnibone and the Young Kingdoms) with the forces of Chaos.
      Best/Mario

Comment

realism yes

yes I agree that melnibonè should have at least one foot on the ground of realism, but it should be done with taste. Avoiding the many fantasy standards. But then again, Elric pioneered many of those standards.

Comment

Hi all.

The art in Mirrormask is quite impressive, but it looks too much like a dream. I think Melnibone should be more real, impressive but real.

Anyway, although I think Mirrormask is not the way, I think Dave McKean could manage.

Comment

Working...
          X