Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Please get an unknown actor to play Elric.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please get an unknown actor to play Elric.

Elric is a unique guy. Any known actor will bring the feeling of the past roles to the screen. I belive this movie will only work for REAL fans of the book if the perfect unknown actor is found. Having read almost all the Eternal Champion series and the Elric saga at least 6 times through, I know this is the only path. I wouldnt mind seeing Peter Grant direct it, he seems to get the heart of the storys he is directing. Im hoping that Mr.Moorcock will work as co-director or at least a close adviser to keep the heart in the story. We are all blessed to have Micheal's work in our lives and this movie needs to be perfect. It can be with the right actor's.

Testing Avitar and Sig.

Comment

well i think you are right!

Comment

Yes,maybe you are right but then again...check out the movies where an unknown actor is the hero.Usually the hero is the worst part of the film(for example Star Wars)!!!And I wouldn't like it to happen with Elric. :x
        Also a well known actor who is also very handsome would bring more girls in the cinemas!Which means...commercial success!Of course he MUST be a good actor and have certain similarities with Elric.

Comment

Maybe an actor unknown in Hollywood cinema? I feel you need a great actor to pull off such a complex character. The Star Wars analogy is a good one you don't want a wooden guy that looks the part. Maybe a gifted actor from stage as opposed to cinema would have less baggage and yet be experienced/gifted enough to pull it off?

Comment

Originally posted by heiron
            Yes,maybe you are right but then again...check out the movies where an unknown actor is the hero.Usually the hero is the worst part of the film(for example Star Wars)!!!And I wouldn't like it to happen with Elric. :x
            Also a well known actor who is also very handsome would bring more girls in the cinemas!Which means...commercial success!Of course he MUST be a good actor and have certain similarities with Elric.
            I see your point ... But we need to remember that this is ART above your average book or movie and true art has value well beyond instant commercial success... If its made with Art as the goal it will make money regardless in time and be held above your average Block Buster for all the ages we have left on this planet. .... Your idea about finding a good stage actor is great...

Comment

It's best to retain a solid dose of realism about these things. If you're expecting a perfect piece of art crafted for the fans, you're bound to be let down by the movie. Just like Mike worked under deadlines and had to pay the bills with his stories, the movie production will have practical limits and goals to meet.

I'd hesitate to call the books a work of art. They're well above average to be sure, and there's a lot of depth and originality to them, but let's not exaggerate it either. Rather than approaching the books with the utmost respect and striving to transfer them to the screen as faithfully as possible, I hope the movie makers take the stories as raw material to make a good Elric movie from.

Elric himself is of course what the whole thing hinges on. There's the risk of focussing too much on finding the perfect actor for the role, and as a result never finding him at all. I think that as long as they find someone who makes a great Elric, it'll be alright. He doesn't necessarily need to be great as the Elric we know. The image of Elric we have is different for each of us, anyway.

An unknown actor would be preferable, I agree. But it's easier said than done. Even if there's a suitable undiscovered talent out there, we don't know where, and there are plenty of people looking for such talents.
              Stage actors are one option, but I'd also suggest looking for actors in the non-English speaking parts of the world. There are many talented and experienced actors out there who are only known in their own countries. Ordinarily I suppose their accents might be an issue, but Elric's not even human after all.

Case in point, my favourite actress, Carice van Houten. Has achieved just about all the success an actor can have in the Netherlands, acts beautiful, looks beautiful, the whole thing. I hope the WWII movie she's doing with Paul Verhoeven now will get her some international offers, because there's only so much to do in this country.
              If Elric were female, or if she could be made to pass for a man, I'd say you'd have an excellent candidate right there. She reminds me of Gould's covers a bit, and I'm sure she could do most sides of Elric very well (it's the screaming killer from hell side I'm not sure about).

Comment

Once again we have an excelent idea brought to the table for an unknown

"I'd also suggest looking for actors in the non-English speaking parts of the world. There are many talented and experienced actors out there who are only known in their own countries. Ordinarily I suppose their accents might be an issue, but Elric's not even human after all. "

Good show!

I think an accent would be great.

As for the level of art in the books it has all ways been opinion.
                I was blessed to have parents that collected Si-Fi books from as early as the late 30's.. Not alot in those years I know but I was able to consume a huge number of them before I reached 15 years of age. Dancers at the End of time was the first work of Micheals I got to read.

In my opinion Elric and the rest of the Eternal Champion series Are RARE works of stylistic ART in the highest sence. Work that is truly life changing.
                I am an artist in music and drawing. I am also dirt poor LOL so I understand the dead lines. But this series is worth shooting for highest level of artistic attention. Art makes us suffer for greatness. I have faith that Micheal will make this movie live up to his books.

Comment

Comon guys ..I can be the only one that see's beyond the corperate truth.. They will push for a big BRAND name actor...But this is Micheals big moment just as Elrics in the book to do whats right ... He must either give in to EVIL corp presure to pic a actor or look for the perfect Elric in an unknown. This story will only be done right with fresh faces or become another Corp monster that will do the story a great injustice beyond what Elric suffed in the books. For Art's sake some one step up and tell the truth. How can the shadow of other storys corrupt the perfect story that is Elric. Wake up, take a stand. Blood and souls for my lord Moorcock!

Comment

How can anyone suggest an unknown actor?! :D

Cordialement,
                    Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                      How can anyone suggest an unknown actor?! :D

Cordialement,
                      Ant
                      Read my first post and you will understand... People act like an unknown couldnt do it ...come on .... lots of unkowns have made the diffence between art and another hollywood bastardisation of a good story.

Comment

I believe mr/mrs Ant was playing the sarcastic role.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvester
                          I believe mr/mrs Ant was playing the sarcastic role.
                          Dr. Ant was being merely facetious, not sarcastic.

Ciao,
                          Ant

PS. Ph.D. in theoretical partical phyiscs... so just a phony doctor, not a real doctor like Guy.

PPS. Dangerous things can happen when you cast an unknown actor... Brigitte Nielsen as Red Sonja, anyone?

Comment

LOL Ok ...Jokes on me....LOL

Comment

I strongly agree with this. Reading the books when I was young I thnk the most powerful aspect of Elric's character is his melnibonean distain for others, his coldhearted contempt that inspires fear simply becuase you are regarded as less than him, yet he is weak as well. This conundrum is difficult to pull off - a gifted stage actor could fit well. Remember, he is not human and should not look human, so no matter how white or gaunt someone looks, they will not look melnibonean without makeup, facial changes, etc - so looks are less important I think than on-screen presence. In other words, all melniboneans will have to have extensive changes made to their appearance so just get good actors.

Comment

Working...
                              X