Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Say NO to Bettany!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say NO to Bettany!

Alot was already said about this, so I'll make it short - Anyone who really doesn't want Paul Bettany to be Elric is wellcome to specify here why!

My reasons are:

Doesn't have the right physique, face, and in short, the right look!

And it's true he's a pretty good actor, but so is Jonathan Rhys Davis, but no one is thinking of taking him to play Elric cause he simply doesn't have the right look.

Really, I don't know why Mr Moorcock is agreeing to that, Bettany is gonna ruin the whole elric image to both ppl who read the book and those who didn't. Forever.

As a side note - Phoenix isn't much of a choice for Yyrkoon either, he's too wimpy looking and not as impressive as Yyrkoon should be. And no makeup in the world is gonna help that i'm afraid.

I disagree.
    Bettany DOES have the right look for Elric.
    So does Jonathan Rhyes Davis.
    Jonny Depp would be great at the acting; but lazy in the area of swordplay and martial arts?

Jonny Depp would be perfect as Rackhir the red archer.

Comment

IMHO, Depp is the only one who has the right features for Elric. And the one who played Boromir in LOTR would make a good Rackhir.
      Rhys Davies could have been Smiorgan.

Comment

I completely agree, Depp is as close as it gets in look terms, and he's a hell of an actor as well.

And he certainly doesn't slack off when it comes to action, I've seen him at Tim Berton's Sleepy Hollow, and he did quite a job there in the action scenes.

Oh, and Johnatan Rhys Davis is the guy played Gimli in LOTR and professor Arturo in "Sliders" so no, I doubt he'll be a good Elric. 8O

And Rhys Myers' acting is way over dramatic for this part. =P

Comment

I should point out that I'm pretty sure that one of the threads said that Paul Bettany will not play Elric because he is busy at the moment playing an albino in the Da Vinci Code movie.

Am I correct?

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
            I should point out that I'm pretty sure that one of the threads said that Paul Bettany will not play Elric because he is busy at the moment playing an albino in the Da Vinci Code movie.

Am I correct?

-Lemec
            The Da Vinci Code is in post-production, so I doubt PB is still busy with this!

I think the objection was that PB was playing an albino character in this film "as well".

Ciao,
            Ant

Comment

Gods, they're making a movie out of that too now?

1st king kong, and now this... Are there no more original non bs ideas left in the world? آ¬_آ¬

Anyway I hope Johnny Depp will be chosen after all. *fingers crossed*
              >_<

Comment

To clarify...

Johnathan Rhys-Meyers (Gormenghast) is an old suggestion for Elric...
                [broken link]
                He certainly has the look; I don't think he's always "over dramatic".

It was John Rhys-Davies who was Gimli (and Treebeard!) and Prof. Arturo.
                [broken link]
                He hadn't been suggested for Smiorgan before (not that Smiorgan will be in the movie)... see [broken link]

Cordialement,
                Ant
                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Oh, I knew there was something asides the last word in their last name I missed. ^^"

And I never seen anything that JRM took part in and didn't over acted with his silly little evil expressions.
                  But I guess that's the reason we all love him so. :)

Comment

Is this really going to happen after all now?
                    I had been a member here, over a year back, till my comp crashed so I'd all but forgotten about the movie.

I figured this film was scrapped but...
                    Is there an actual time frame on when they want this finished. (2007-2008?)

Comment

Originally posted by Harvester
                      ... Is there an actual time frame on when they want this finished. (2007-2008?)
                      Not before end-2006 judging by the Weitzes' filmography on IMDb!

But Mike keeps assuring us (perhaps not as often as we'd like) that things are moving along...

Cordialement,
                      Ant

Comment

Most excellent!
                        Thanks for the update Ant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                          Originally posted by lemec

Am I correct?

-Lemec
                          The Da Vinci Code is in post-production, so I doubt PB is still busy with this!

I think the objection was that PB was playing an albino character in this film "as well".

Ciao,
                          Ant
                          PB can also be seen shortly in Firewall (http://firewallmovie.warnerbros.com/)... as the villain. (Another British villain... what is it with Hollywood? Even when they're German they're often played by Brits.)

MfG,
                          Ant

Comment

Funtime!

Boy George for Elric's character! Definitelly!
                            Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Ohmegosh.

Now that's an original one, Mespheber!

Back to Bettany... seeing him in Da Vinci Code... I wasn't too convinced! Then again I wasn't too convinced at all by the whole movie (sue me!).

Cheers,
                              “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

Working...
                              X