Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Idea for Elric movie intro narration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for Elric movie intro narration

Ok, I know this is crappy but I recorded myself paraphrasing Louise Cooper's great intro to her 'Time Lord' series which IMHO also fits the premise of the EC series very well:

www.batrco.com/prologue.mp3

I think I'll go hide now :oops: ...

Athenys, don't go :oops: :oops: !!! It's a great idea!!! :clap:

Now there is the little problem of the sound sampling: the music grows bigger and bigger and drowns out your beautiful voice and we can't understand anymore what you're saying! :?

Did you do that *uncounsciously* to hide already???

Be more self-confident! You have a great voice, you obviously can read a text with intention and feeling and it already gives a good idea of what it might sound like: GREAT. :D
    It definitely deserves a good sound mixing.

For what I've heard of the text, it sounds cool; only it maybe make Chaos look a bit too much like "Evil", which it isn't as you know; on the other hand it assumes that evil part in Elric's world, so, yep, why not.:scratch:

Finally, I don't know if this will please you or infuriate you (but on my part it is a compliment): this made me think a lot of the monologue of Cate Blanchett-Galadriel in the intro of the much controversed (at least in this forum) LOTR movies.

Cheers,
    “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

LOL, not at all :) . Galadriel's nifty voiceover is what kinda gave me the idea in first place :P. Well that and reading the Time Lord trilogy again. I thought the text really sums up the whole EC concept better than just saying: "Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom..." like LOTR did. All the gods, heroes etc. are merely variations of the same archetypes which is something that is emphasized in Mike's novels more than most. Now I need to re-record everything and mix all the tracks in a sound editing program. This time I just recorded myself talking over the mic with music in the background hence the disparity in volume :oops: . Thanks for the compliments btw, I haven't taken voice acting but am thinking about it. For Elric you could use a male actors' voice, even though male voices in fantasy film intros are far more stereotypical than female ones. Chaos can generally seem (and be) evil, Order can also be evil but it's seen as being more 'politically correct' than the former :lol: .

Comment

Originally posted by Athenys
        Chaos can generally seem (and be) evil, Order can also be evil but it's seen as being more 'politically correct' than the former :lol: .
        Ah, indeed, alas! :(

And far more boring too! I know that balance is the key but I find Chaos much more enjoyable, if I had to choose a side!
        Otherwise, I would have chosen "Phoibos" and not "Bakkhios" as an avatar... But extremes are always exhausting, aren't they.

Great idea, the voice acting: you should stick to it!

As for a male voice to make that narration, :scratch: hmmm, why not, but then I wouldn't see Elric himself making it.
        For some reason... I'd choose Sepiriz. After all, he's the one truly revealing the big picture behind it all in the story; just like Galadriel somehow was for the LOTR.
        Besides, Elric already is the hero...

Now if it would be a woman... what about Myshella?
        “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

Sounds good, pity about the music getting in the way towards the end. And a text along those lines would be a good way of introducing the Multiverse very quickly, if you had to.

Without having read the script I can only guess, but given that the movie is to be based on Elric of Melnibonأ© / The Dreaming City and that it might be a stand-alone I don't think it'll be an Eternal Champion movie. That is to say concepts like the Multiverse and the Balance will at best be referred to.

Just establishing Elric's character and setting up his world will be plenty for one film, without also stuffing in a near-infinity of alternate worlds and versions of Elric. I'd leave that until the second movie (if there is one), when it's also certain there will be a third movie so all this talk of the Champion and his destiny will actually pay off on screen.

With any luck there won't need to be an intro narration at all. But if there is one then the last thing it should remind anyone of is LotR. Though I'm quite a fan of those movies, mind you... actually, if you've seen the extended edition of FotR, how's about a scene of Dr. Jest writing "Concerning Melnibonأ©ans"?

Comment

Re: Idea for Elric movie intro narration

Originally posted by Athenys
            Ok, I know this is crappy but I recorded myself paraphrasing Louise Cooper's great intro to her 'Time Lord' series which IMHO also fits the premise of the EC series very well:

www.batrco.com/prologue.mp3

I think I'll go hide now :oops: ...
            Do you mean the Time Master trilogy? I don't know the original.

As others have said, the words get drowned out by the music, esp. towards the end. Can you post the text?

But your voice is fine: it sounds professional. I love the way you say, "Marduk".

Ciao,
            Ant

PS. What is the music?

Comment

I had envisioned (and spent a great deal of time doing so while on the site of one mind-numbing job after another) the Elric movie I would create if I was suddenly rich and could hire whomever I wanted.

It would start with total blackness and describe how nothing existed, then the forces of Chaos would enter in to the picture and start to create, followed by the forces of Law who would impose form upon that which Chaos created. Then would follow how those two forces would ever be in conflict, one an agent of constant change without design, the other total stratification without evolution. Meanwhile, the camera would be panning out from the total blackness to include a pink iris, then Elric's face, and continue until the frame would include him, sitting alone on the throne, head resting on his fist, pondering. It would have been David Bowie at the time, so it would have been Dave's voice kicking it all off. Synthesiser would have been washing through it, a random sequence of stuttering oscillations for Chaos and a thick drone for Law.

This might be what was described above. I haven't heard it yet.

Comment

Working...
              X