Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Music for the movie?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The-Hunter
    replied
    Arioch said,

"I would love to hear Danny Elfman on the soundtrack. I think almost everything hes done has always been spot on what the movie needed (Edward Scissorhands, Spiderman, Beetlejuice,) he also has a way of keeping the movie's dark atmosphere.

His work on Red Dragon was simply amazing. I could listen to those opening credits forever"

And how, friend Arioch. Danny Elfman's body of work is phenomenal, from Edward Scissorhands (perhaps his masterpiece?) to Spiderman to the Simpsons, but what's more is the realization that his genius comes from being able to musically "see" what the director or author visualizes and adapt from that sight a masterwork score. Many of his best pieces are from movies that have a dark atmosphere (Edward Scissorhands for sure, Batman and Batman Returns as well), so it's easy to see how well he might be fitted for the Elric movies. I can think of no better composer than ol' Elfman--

And a note to Mr. Moorcock-- I grew up on the Lord of the Rings and find it to be a brilliant book full of noble character studies and epic battles (not just skirmishes between Orcs and Men but the burden of the Ring on Frodo or for Faramir for example). I was thrilled when I heard of the books being turned into movies but when they came out, I was sadly dissappointed. The set design for every place was exactly as I had always imagined it (Did Minas Tirith not look very cool), the acting was decent but not extraordinary, the dialogue was at times decidedly un-Tolkien-like (when in the whole of the books did Aragorn suggest that there might be a day when Men fail?), and many of the important and classic scenes were more or less understandably left out (Tom Bombadil was cool and it was very important to establish that Boromir was the loved, fallen son while Faramir was the forgotten, but stronger, better man). However, for all my grievances I thought that Peter Jackson did the best job at interpretting the Lord of the Rings than anybody else heretofor.

Now, having grown up with the Lord of the Rings, and having thought of them as superior to most "sword-and-sorcery" books (I always thought it was, as a tome, above the simple hack-and-slash of fantasy books in general, having provided thought and a chance for analysis far beyond asking where the symbolism behind a red dragon lies?), I was introduced to your body of work. I must admit that at first, I close-mindedly lumped the Elric saga along with all the other mindless fantasy books, but read through them anyway. I must say, after each page I turned, I found myself justifying the need to keep reading, to finish, to borrow the next in line. Your books, unlike the Lord of the Rings which are so rich in detailed text, are written almost like vague whisperings from within a miasma of dark brooding. I always enjoyed that Stormbringer never really had solid lines, so to speak, yet clearly enjoyed it's own sense of lust and dark dominion over Elric. I delighted in the fact that the hero of the story was inherently physically weak, but mentally strong in resolve and in culture. Needless to say, after I finished the series, I was more or less stunned. And to finalize this note, I'd like to thank you for providing the world with your vision--

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I personally think some of the more symphonic Black metal bands could do the movie's soundtrack, a mix of aggressive metal and classical compisition, for example Cradle of Filth would be magnificent!

Leave a comment:

• Yisselda
    replied
    How about good rock like creed or linkin park, or some deep purple songs like stormbringer. Or stuff like david arkenstone etc Meaningfull lyrics and stuff . And a soundtrack album would be wicked, it would introduce new stuff to people. :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Blue Oyster Cult, yay!

You have to respect any band who can write a song with the chorus: "Oh no! There goes Tokyo! Go, go, Godzilla!!!"

D...

Leave a comment:

• legion505
    replied
    i went to a dance tonight and was blown away when they played dont fear the reaper and ballroom blitz. Blue oyster cult is gonna be classical music in 300 years :P

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Yeah, never thought of BOC. I saw them once in Ohio. They used to come into town and play this small club at Ohio State Univ. called the Newport. They were pretty big then and I thought it was kool that they would play a small venue like that.

Good idea.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hullo!

I probably shouldn't admit this in the company of *real* Moorcock readers (and potentially the man himself), but what really got me into the books was a Blue Oyster Cult song (Black Blade). It sent a chill down my spine just listening to those lyrics, and I knew I had to find out more about this albino chap and his sword. It would be a shame if that song wasn't used at the end of the film at least. In my humble opinion.

As you were.

D...

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Little more on Hildegard vonBingen,

Here is a link to a track from the CD I was talking about. Her music is being performed by a group called Anonymous 4. This isn't one of the tracks I spoke of, but it gives you a good idea of what kind of music vonBingen wrote. This is a public link. No danger in getting this MP3! :lol:

http://www.harmoniamundi.com/music3/907200.mp3

Leave a comment:

• lordmarioh
    replied
    I liked the score for Gladiator and Conan. But I think there's the need for something darker...

IMO fight scenes get boring with too much orchestral music. I mean guitars are cool for fight scenes - Heavy but melodic guitars (like Iron Savior).

But if the score is better than the LOTR one (I hated). I'll be grateful...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Here's an idea...

How 'bout Jethro Tull? I know they went through a dodgy period there in the early '90's (even getting lumped into the "heavy metal" category at one awards show). But they always seem to have a decent and eclectic mix of the folk/acoustic, classical and rock aspects, and Ian Anderson is something of an original. I think it might be interesting.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Bill
    I too am groggy and red-eyed.
    Get some sleep, man!

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Didn't the Melniboneans entertain themselves with a choir of slaves each surgically altered to produce one perfect note? And were they each tortured to produce it? I think that is the way it was (been a while).
    Well, I don't care who we have to torture to reproduce that sound, it would be worth it!! :twisted:

Ha, but seriously. I think the movie could have some 'dark' chant, some Indian stuff, some middle-eastern music, asian and maybe some 'rock'.

I'm the kind of person who thinks that when there are swords and armor on the screen I don't want to hear somebody jamming on his guitar. I loved the music from Excalibur and the environments (even though the knights in the movie were wearing some advanced armor for the time). And the big drums in Conan (the 1st one) were great, along with a lot of the middle-eastern influenced music (like when they go into the tower of the serpent). I'd like to see some middle-eastern tunes floating around Melnibone. Or maybe Russian.

But, then again, I liked the music in Heavy Metal and there was some swords and sorcery stuff (Sabbath rocked - Dio's songs were kool - sry Ozzy) so I guess I would be jamming right there too.

Never heard any of these bands that have 'Moorcockean' origins - Domine, Hawkmoon, etc... so I can't speak to how good they are. I'll have to see if I can download, oh I mean buy, some of their stuff. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Apophis
    replied
    Lisa Gerrard is not Enya music. lol Big difference. I can't stand Enya.

So you would rather have progrock as the score? hehe How mundane and 70'sish. That would be as out of place and quirky as having Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears do the score. I think the score needs to be ethnic and exotic, using non-western musical scales.

;).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Anyone see An American Werewolf in London? It ends with a fast rock n Roll number called Blue Moon which worked well...Maybe Hawkwind or HLL could do something like this at the end Brainstorm? Black Sword? Moonglum?... maybe not .... Anyway no more Enya type music! You cant please everyone no matter how hard you try..

Leave a comment:

• Apophis
    replied
    Yes Dead Can Dance were/are amazing. I have seen them numerous times since the 80's and was always blown alway. Lisa Gerrard would be perfect for the Elric Saga. But I am sure the Studio will go with some mundane Classical score composer in Big Hollywood fashion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X