Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Music for the movie?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about Tangerine Dream? Do they still do scores? I thought they were cool in the 80's.

Comment

I would love to hear Danny Elfman on the soundtrack. I think almost everything hes done has always been spot on what the movie needed (Edward Scissorhands, Spiderman, Beetlejuice,) he also has a way of keeping the movie's dark atmosphere.

His work on Red Dragon was simply amazing. I could listen to those opening credits forever :twisted:

Comment

music

Zarazinia by hawkwind is one of the most beautiful rock laments ever written. It has to be in there, (album version). I've just read the final half of stormbringer for the first time, jesus h, maaaaaaaaan, wow.
        I'm looking forward to reading these to my soon expected son, girlfreind still not keen on Elric as his name. Michael, blonde girl in Emmerdale Farm (ITV 1, 7.0pm) as Zarazinia......or maybe just my fantasy.

Comment

The music used in 28 Days Later was composed by a Canadian band called Godspeed You Black Emperor (from their first album). Yes they can be called a contemporary rock band if you consider the use of two violins, cello, two percussionists-- along with the expected guitar and bass-- as contemporary rock conventions. I certainly consider it rock, except that the way they approach their song writing seems to be more like classical. I believe one of their main influences is the San Francisco Bay Area band, Neurosis-- which is one of the all-time best "art bands" that most people have never heard of. Neurosis is probably too extreme for most as well.

--Jer
          \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
          Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Richard Rodney Bennett's written a lot for movies and I'd been thinking about him, lately. In the end it won't be up to me but will be a consensus of the various parties involved. I don't seem Emmerdale, unfortunately.
            And don't you dare call the poor bugger Elric or any such (unless as a middle name). Think of all the thirty-year-old Gandalf's and Frodo's
            there are about these days, desperately hiding their actual name under the guise of Alf or Fred. With my kids I always gave them a name which they could make into a good dimunitive, either as a second or first name (Katherine, Elizabeth, Edward) since fashion can sometimes produce a lot of the same names, too. Sophie's middle name was Elizabeth and Max's middle name is Edward -- so they could always have been Betty and Ted if they'd preferred!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I' m thinking along the lines of a Composer doing the film music and then Hawkwinf doing the end song. Marvellous. And Mike, who wouldn't want to be called Elric. Can't think of anyone! Apart from me, you and the rest of the sane world! (Though, if it were a boy it could be altered to Rick or if a girl Ellie)

Comment

Jim Cawthorn used to get his paper delivered by a boy called Elric. He was a problem child, apparently, at the school where his sister worked!
                My son Max knew an Elric in Mississippi who wore camouflage all the time and sported an M16. There are other Elrics in the world, in other words, and most of them don't seem to turn out too well! About about Lionel
                Richard --- L. Rick ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Loving that little link there Mike. Marvellous. L. Ric. Hmmm... I'll be giggling about that for days to come. Ho Ho!

Comment

Michael,

Have you ever listened to Hildegard von Bingen?

I have much of her music but I thought a few selections off of the Feast for St. Ursula: 11,000 Virgins (Anonymous 4) would be great in a fantasy setting.
                    Namely, Sequence: O Ecclesia or Brief Responsory: Mirabilis Deus

Her music is very good and Anonymous 4 reproduces it well. It is very beautiful.

Anyway, I always thought it would sound good in a movie, if one was made that was worthy of it. I think an Elric movie would be.

Anonymous 4 website:
                    http://www.anonymous4.com/

Hildegard von Bingen info:
                    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/med/hildegarde.html

http://www.hildegard.org/
                    When they had advanced together to meet on common
                    ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                    and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                    each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                    mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                    killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Just a thought, and from someone who isn't familiar with either Hildegard von Bingen or Richard Rodney Bennett (at least not by name), but if you were trying to stay clear of the stock fantasy conventions, wouldn't you stay clear of the dramatic orchestral score?

I would be curious to see if the filmmakers could make it work with a more surreal, sound collage type approach (something like from a Tangerine Dream or early Pink Floyd). Somebody here had the idea that the Black Sword would have a sound along with it when unsheathed. I think these two ideas would go together like Steve and Edie.

Comment

Lord, I apologize for the confusion: I was thinking of "The Day I Tried To Live" and "My Wave" which use EEBBBB. Not the same song, album or tuning, so I think I need to take a nap.

Comment

Hello everybody,
                          I've read your suggest for the music and no one didn't mention Domine, an italian metal band that is strongly influenced by the Elric Saga.

Have you ever listen them?

bye

Comment

Ignore that; it was supposed to be a response to Lord of Entropy in another thread. I REALLY need that nap.

Comment

Hildegard von Bingen was a twelfth century nun who wrote liturgical plainchant and antiphons (chants and anthems). These were purely vocal compositions. No dramatic orchestral score there, just amazing, ethereal music. I think it is real good. See, even the big man agrees!

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                              Yes, von Bingen is a good idea.
                              Never listened to Richard Rodney Bennett so I can't write about him. And as far as more modern music I am sure it has its place in a fantasy setting but I'm not sure if I was ever comfortable with rockin' fantasy movies (not that you implied this). A Knight's Tale drove me crazy! Rockin' at the joust! It was a little much. I think Michael said he liked that movie, so there you go. :lol:
                              Maybe Elric will blaze down from the sky on the back of a dragon to "Smoke on the Water..."
                              When they had advanced together to meet on common
                              ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                              and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                              each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                              mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                              killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Yeah, really great ideas so far...

Let's just hope that in the end some of these are really used...

Well, just to be me I would like to call Blind Guardian in this discussion... I know everyone hates them for their love for Hobbits, but then, noone is perfect (also the Silmarillion is one of my favorite books - read it... good story and very little descriptive crap).

And about naming a child Elric... I agree with Mike. But then using it as a middle name is pretty cool. I want to call my son Peter Icarus (Pedro أ?caro)... Pedro is a common name here and أ?caro, of course is from greek mythology.

If you want to use a name from his books, use Dorian... Is a cool name and we don't connect it to the character from the book. You can use Ulrik too, but it would be hard for your kid in school. :D
                                \\

Comment

Working...
                                X