Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Arioch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arioch

It will be a major role in the movie and a hard role to fill considering the actor has to be godlike in the looks department, almost beautiful...
    heres a few people I think can fill the role;

Leonardo Dicaprio
    Josh Hartnett
    Orlando Bloom

Orlando Bloom? He might have the looks but I'm not a big fan of his acting ability. The couple of movies I've seen him in since LotR I've been expecting him to don a pair of green leggings.

My choice from this selection is Josh Hartnett. Dicaprio has proven himself a capable actor (What's Eating Gilbert Grape? anyone?) but I think Hartnett has more of the look of what I was expecting from a Lord of Chaos.

Comment

Without wishing to state the obvious (but I have to keep my post count up somehow), it all depends how Arioch is depicted. If his form shifts around, then all that may be required for the parts where he's "human" looking is a model who can lip-synch and put one foot in front of the other.

If I were casting the film (and it would most certainly flop if I were) I'd find a model or dancer who could move in very strange and awkward ways, just to creep everyone out. Or just do that reverse-motion thing they had in Twin Peaks. I don't think I'd cast a specific actor in the role, but then I haven't seen the script... sadly. It may be a more substantial role than I'm imagining.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Nah - it has to be David Bowie!

He's a jolly good actor, and looks perfect for the part.
        Arma virumque cano.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
          ... I'd find a model or dancer who could move in very strange and awkward ways, just to creep everyone out. ...
          Ah, yes! Like the "Judder Man" in the Metz TV advert!

Originally posted by Vampyro
          ... people I think can fill the role;

Leonardo Dicaprio
          Josh Hartnett
          Orlando Bloom
          Congratulations on three original suggestions! Now added to [broken link]

Gr.,
          Ant
          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
            Ah, yes! Like the "Judder Man" in the Metz TV advert!
            Exactly! Or... there was a White Stripes video for the song 'Blue Orchid' which was very creepy indeed. I think the director had done some Manson videos as well. There's something they can do with film/video that makes people look damn creepy when they move. I'd like to see a bit of that going on, personally... perhaps even for Elric when he's under Strombringer's control too... but that's just me. I want everything in life to look like a rock video. :)
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

In the LOTR: Return of the King extras is a scene where the non-corrupted version of Sauron comes to confront Aragorn.
              When seeing this I could gasp only one thing: Arioch!

I have no idea who plays this part and it might not even be important.
              The aura of light and effects that surrounded him made him look beautiful yet evil.

That is the way to go. Don't get a big name. Get someone who looks pretty and have a sweet voice. then add effects to make him menacing when he needs to be (especially the voice)

Comment

According to IMDb, Sauron is played by Sala Baker. Is this the actor you saw?
                [broken link]

Cordialement,
                Ant
                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I believe this is the man in question, I could see him more as Sepiris

Comment

I have the perfect face and body for Arioch.

It is Max Pirkis. See him at HBO's Rome. He can be charming and at the same time create an aura of delightful doom.

Thorncrown.

Comment

I'm only resurrecting an old idea here, but I still think Tilda Swinton would be a good Arioch, at least as one of his many, many faces...

She's used to androgynous roles and from what I have seen of her (only pics, alas) as Jadis The White Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia, she is the perfect cockail of elegance, eldritch beauty and fearsomeness!

:D
                      “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

Tilda Swinton could be a good Arioch. She played Gabriel in Constantine, she was pretty good in that. :)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Ah! I adore Max Pirkis, I'd have to vote for him ^^ He's a great actor for his age, he's been in Rome, and he was also great in Master and Commander. He's a bit young, but perhaps by the time the movie would start filming he'd be the perfect age ^^
                          ~Goddess Virage, Your Local Goddess of Destruction

Comment

I d hate to say it but I think Antonio Banderas would be awsome as Arioch, if he could maintain the same features as he did in Interview with the Vampire I would be astounded to say he is the man for the role.

Comment

Arioch

Tilda Swinton, definitely! Arioch is always described as beautiful and androgynous in his human appearance, and while she is not what I would call beautiful she certainly can hang with the acting aspect of it. And she can do androgynous no problem. I can see her sheathed in light and addressing Elric in that wonderfully condescending tone Arioch always uses.."Ahh, Elric, my sweetmeat, my pet, the dearest of my mortal servants!"

Pertaining to what someone else said elsewhere, Clancy Brown would be totally wrong for the voice of Stormbringer--he's too rough and hoarse, his voice too deep. I'd suggest a layered melange of women and men with high voices screaming wordlessly for that, processed through a Harmonizer for that otherwordly quality...Stormbringer has no dialogue until the very end of the last novel, and I imagine it as having a more sweet and sinister tone of voice, not gravelly or harsh at all. Tilda Swinton again, maybe? Unless they were talking about the incarnation of the Black Sword that appears in Book 4 of the Hawkmoon saga? i can see Brown's voice working for that aspect of the Black Sword...

Comment

Working...
                              X