Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Yyrkoon ---> Joaquin Phoenix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yyrkoon ---> Joaquin Phoenix?

I bet that the actor who could play great as Yyrkoon would surely be Joaquin Phoenix. Actually, a friend of mine and I discovered that when we read the Elric saga, we both imagined Yyrkoon being like Joaquin Phoenix.....coincidence??

I imagined him, as well, and he has been suggested in the casting discussions round here several times, as I recall.
    'The canons of narrative art in any medium cannot be wholly different; and the failure of poor media is often precisely in exaggeration, and in the intrusion of unwarranted matter owing to not perceiving where the core of the original lies.' - Tolkien

Comment

Billy Crudup would be a good Yyrkoon

Comment

Originally posted by Vampyro
        Billy Crudup would be a good Yyrkoon...
        Aha! A new suggestion! Added to the [broken link]list.

Cheers,
        Ant
        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Re: Yyrkoon ---> Joaquin Phoenix?

Originally posted by Arkhan
          I bet that the actor who could play great as Yyrkoon would surely be Joaquin Phoenix. Actually, a friend of mine and I discovered that when we read the Elric saga, we both imagined Yyrkoon being like Joaquin Phoenix.....coincidence??
          He'll need to get himself into some sort of physical shape - at the moment he bears more than a passing resemblance to a fat hamster.
          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

He already played a similar role in Gladiator and I think we need someone more attractive.

Comment

I thought Joaquin Phoenix would be right for Yyrkoon, but changed my mind after seeing some recent pictures of him. He looks too old and manky.

Comment

He already played a similar role in Gladiator and I think we need someone more attractive.
                I totally agree with that.

Comment

Christian Bale has my vote as Yrkoon. He has the shape and skills (see Batman Begins).

Comment

Christian Bale is a great actor. Anyone seen "The Machinist"? Although the story seemed to be a bit old, i liked the film. I suggested him as Elric instead of Yyrkoon.

Comment

No one I have seen even comes close, again, to Michael Wincott:

www.batrco.com/moxica.jpg

He looks 100% like a Melnibonean nasty to me. That's without a great deal of makeup on either...

Comment

As far as looks go, I agree with you on Michael Wincott,Athenys!
                        The first time I saw "1492" (ages ago...), as Moxica made his first appearance I jumped in my seat thinking: this is Yyrkoon!!!
                        At least the original Yyrkoon, as first described in Elric of Melnibonأ©:
                        His dark features, at once handsome and saturnine, are framed by long black hair, waved and oiled, and his expression, as ever, is sardonic while his bearing is arrogant.
                        Imho Michael Wincott's portrayal of Moxica completely fits the description. Plus he was one of the most loathsome villains ever! :D

But now... isn't he getting just a bit long in the tooth???
                        I mean, he should be more or less as old as Elric, shouldn't he?
                        On the other hand make-up should be enough to create that illusion... :scratch:
                        “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

A new (afaik) suggestion for Yyrkoon: Matthew MacFadyen.

Whaddya think?

Gr.,
                          Ant

Comment

Greetings to all

I am new to the website but have read the Elric books for the better part of my life. Upon hearing of the movies coming out, Michael Wincott's name came up instantly for either Elric or Yyrkoon as well. He has shown an ability with a sword in many movies. And that voice is just made for either of the roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakkhios
                              But now... isn't he getting just a bit long in the tooth???
                              I mean, he should be more or less as old as Elric, shouldn't he?
                              On the other hand make-up should be enough to create that illusion... :scratch:
                              He was born in '58, so yes, it would be a stretch to cast him as Yyrkoon. That said, liberties will have to be taken regarding the age of the characters. When the story starts Elric is what, twenty at best? Not many people out there ready for such a project at that age.
                              Still, Elric and his cousins should be young, if not that young. Which means I should be watching more recent movies if I'm to offer any good casting suggestions.

Still, I'll heartily recommend Carice van Houten for just about any role. In fact, if not for being female (and short), she'd make an excellent Elric. She's amazingly talented (well, I was amazed, anyway) and has already won the major award for best Dutch actress twice, as well as starring in a fair number of movies and plays. Last I heard she was working with Paul Verhoeven for his first movie upon his return from Hollywood.
                              There's a distinct lack of websites (official or otherwise) that I might have linked to, so just do a google image search for "Carice van Houten" if you want to see who I'm on about. I imagine getting hold of her movies outside of the Netherlands will be difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X