Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Cillian Murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cillian Murphy

I wondered about Cillian Murphy as Elric. Has anyone else seen him as one of the villains in Batman Begins ? Struck me he might be good for the part.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

He's already been suggested!

I did see Batman Begins... I can't say that I was struck by any Elric-ness in Dr. Crane at the time. But he does have a certain look... and the right build: see him in 28 Days Later. And I agree with your comments about his acting in [broken link]this Q&A thread.

I'd have to see a rendering by Bakkhios to be sure, though... 8)

Gr.,
    Ant
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Cillian Murphy

I can see him as Elric. I saw a black and white photo of Cillian Murphy and I can imagine what he might look like as an albino. He might even be the best choice for the role. I'll check out that other thread.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

yea, try em out... give em a part of the script and see how he acts.. if he does good, awesome. do you have any other people in mind in trying out or interested in trying out for Elric?

Comment

Originally posted by ApocalypticVision
          ... do you have any other people in mind in trying out or interested in trying out for Elric?
          The good folks on this site have made many suggestions... see [broken link]this list.

Mike's favourite is Paul Bettany - or, at least, was until he took the role of Silas, the albino, in The Da Vinci Code.

So, Mike, would you now rank Murphy above Bettany?

Ciao,
          Ant
          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Ooh, ooh, I said much the same thing in the Batman Begins thread: [broken link]

So yes, I very much agree. I was a bit worried about his American accent, but that might just be because I knew he was a Brit beforehand and I'm very anal about things like that. But yes, certainly a contender as far as I'm concerned.
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM.
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
              Ooh, ooh, I said much the same thing in the Batman Begins thread: [broken link]

So yes, I very much agree. I was a bit worried about his American accent, but that might just be because I knew he was a Brit beforehand and I'm very anal about things like that. But yes, certainly a contender as far as I'm concerned.
              Elric was British? :)

Seriously, I wouldn't think accent would be an issue since no one (AFAIK) knows what a Melnibonأ© accent might sound like. Still, I have noticed that here in the U.S. at least, people seem to prefer that their fantasy movie characters speak with a British accent.. whether it makes sense or not.

It's subjective, of course. As I read the books, I always 'heard' Elric's voice in American or maybe no accent at all, despite knowing that Mike is a Brit. Some fiction - Douglas Adams work comes to mind - is just naturally 'heard' with a British accent but I never felt that way with most of Mike's work except of course when the characters were stated to be Brits.

Doesn't really matter to me as long as the acting is good.
              Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Absolutely... All I meant was that sometimes I'm so obsessed with the accents I miss what the actors are actually saying and how good their actual performance is. Obviously that's just my issue, and it should have no effect on the casting of the Elric movie. :)

Although any attempt to cast Dick Van Dyke as a cheeky chim-mer-nee sweep will be met with scowls from this corner of the room.
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

"Blad blad and sowls, blad blad and sowls, for Ar-ee-ok!" :D

More importantly... Cillian Murphy is not a Brit. He was born in Douglas, Cork, Ireland.

Mmm... I'm sure Mike had said earlier that he didn't want any Celtic influence in the movies... but that clearly doesn't apply to the thesps.

Cheers,
                  Ant

Comment

Yay, Cillian Murphy!!!:D
                    That's a jolly good idea!
                    Silly we didn't think of him earlier as he was actually pretty obvious...
                    Of course it took Mike to open our eyes

He is indeed built the right way, he's very pale (so making an albino out of him shouldn't be too painstaking... even if make-up always is...) and he's a great and promising actor. Of course he was a brilliant evil genius in Batman Begins, but it's when I remember 28 Days Later that I am most convinced. I loved the way his character evolved and how he made it credible on screen. Also his "primal killer" switch. :twisted:

About his accent, I guess he could manage anything...
                    @Namestaken; I guess people in the US prefer fantasy movie characters with a British accent because it uncounsciously (or not) sounds "very ancient" and "aristocratic"; it also puts the right distance for the fantasy universe to be believable. Now if they could recognize the State the actors are coming from by their accent, it would maybe kind of break the spell for some...

Anyway, Cillian Murphy, I'll go Photoshop a pic or two, wheeeee! :D
                    “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

Although any attempt to cast Dick Van Dyke as a cheeky chim-mer-nee sweep will be met with scowls from this corner of the room.
                      Congratulations on the first Mary Poppins reference on the site, Dee! :lol:

Re: accents: MM has considered an actor's accent since he first mentioned the project.

Also-Bakkhios, I think you are absolutely right about American audiences and British accents--it does create a bit of distance, and it is very evocative. After all, many Americans are convinced Hugh Grant can act, simply because he has a British accent... :lol:

Comment

Ooh, ooh, I said much the same thing in the Batman Begins thread: [broken link] ...
                        So you did, Dee, so you did!
                        PS. Cillian "Crane" Murphy has great screen presence... he certainly has to be an Elric contender.
                        We'll be lucky to get him for Elric, though: he's certainly in demand, with two films forthcoming this year and two in pre-production for release next year.

Ciao,
                        Ant
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I think Cillian Murphy could make a pretty good Elric - he's clearly itching for the sort of 'big break' that Christian Bale got from Batman Begins. In fact, he did apparently audition for the title role - which would have been interesting perhaps, though I seriously don't think he would have looked at all right as Batman.

He's in a new movie coming out in the US in a few weeks - Wes Craven's "Red Eye", in which he plays some sort of sociopath / terrorist sympathiser.
                          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

The accent or lack thereof of the actor is really not a big deal to me. It was just an idle comment.

I will say this in reference to Mary Poppins... Any natural accent is better than a badly done fake accent. It brings to mind that Robin Hood movie with whatsisname... Bah, I can't think of the actors name but the movie was panned because they chose to have him speak in his native accent.. sort of a American mid-west drawl rather than attempt an English accent. Well, the movie did suck but I actually supported their choice - nothing is worse than a badly done British accent. If he (the actor) couldn't pull it off then they're better off just giving it a pass or finding a better actor. :)

Sheesh, I'm rambling way off topic now...

As far as cultural influences, I always got sort of a Germanic feeling from Melnibonأ©, not Celtic and definately not Asian.. However, I bow to the opinion of it's creator. I'm certainly no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Namestaken
                              Well, the movie did suck but I actually supported their choice - nothing is worse than a badly done British accent. If he (the actor) couldn't pull it off then they're better off just giving it a pass or finding a better actor. :)
                              Or they could just dub them as has been done in countless movies countless times already.

Most modern films are ADR'd anyway, so there's no technical reason not to do it. Of course, the actor being dubbed might feel a bit miffed, I guess. :)
                              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                              X