Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ang Lee to direct? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ang Lee to direct? (SPOILERS)

Originally posted by Tianzi
    ... 1. You mentioned an interest in having the film directed with a Chinese / asian flair.

It seems an obvious candidate for director, then, would be Ang Lee, a talented director of Chinese ethnicity who has directed the following diverse assortment of films (and who speaks fluent English!):

- *Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon* (in Chinese)

This mystical sword-fighting saga remains the most commercially successful non-English lanaguage movie ever made. (source: CNN)

- Sense & Sensibility (the Victorian epic filmed in 1995 with Emma Thompson) Critically acclaimed and a box office success.

- Eat Drink Man Woman - A tale of a typical Taiwanese family. Nominated for an Academy Award for best foreign language film.

- The Wedding Banquet - complex comedy about a young Taiwanese-American in New York who tries to hide his homosexuality from his tradition-bound parents by agreeing to marry a Chinese woman who wants to obtain U.S. citizenship. Nominated for an Oscar.

- The Hulk - mixed reviews from critics and at the box office. I enjoyed it. But let's be fair, transcending the medium on this one would have been difficult for anyone.

- Also "The Ice Storm" and "Ride with the Devil", both designated as "NY Times Critic's Picks" (as were Crouching Tiger and Sense & Sensibility)

For a bit more on Ang Lee, see the one page CNN article at this address:

[broken link] ...
    Just thought this should be in its own thread... :)

Can we re-kindle the "who should direct" debate?

After seeing Sin City, I'm more favorably inclined towards Robert Rodriguez, but I think Ang Lee has the edge...

Gr.,
    Ant
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM.

Ah, Ant, this is a tough one!

Robert Rodriguez vs Ang Lee...

I loved most of Ang Lee's movies (except the Hulk, but as Tianzi pointed out...); he is a very talented director who can handle equally well breathtaking action and fighting scenes AND feelings and emotions on screen. Plus, as Tianzi wrote, he would bring that nice, subtle and refined asian flair to the project.
    by the way: WELCOME ABOARD, TIANZI :D
    Finally, he's now an "acclaimed director" internationally reknown, that helps!

Robert Rodriguez, now, isn't such a bad idea at all.
    I LOVED Sin City. And I liked a lot of his other stuff. The nice thing about him is that he is a complete and multi-talented director with a hand in almost every step of the production, including the music. This brings about coherence to a project and also a great cohesion to his team; and I think it is one of the reasons why he could bring such a crazy project as Sin City to Life. I bet he would throw himself into the Elric Saga with equal enthusiasm.
    He proved now he could create incredible visuals, crazy action scenes and a bombastic appeal that would perfectly fit certain aspects of the Elric universe (aahhh, Chaos!).
    But I'm still not completely convinced about how he would render the subtler and/or gentler aspects...
    In his movies, the characters are actually always comic book heroes: over-the-top, larger-than-life, dramatic... and it is the reason why it works just fine, but even if you also can find that in the Elric Saga, there is more, much more, subtler parts. I mean, what about the metaphysical broodings, only to mention them?
    We've seen what it's like when action-type directors try to tread such paths with the Wachowski brothers... :roll:
    Maybe Rodriguez would be better, though: who knows?

I always thought Cymoril's scene (you know what I'm talking about, I mean we * all * know the story, don't we!!!) was a very good casting test for the actor who would play Elric: how to render the right emotion without being grandiloquent, theatrical and eventually ludicrous...
    It would actually be also a good test for the director.
    How to shoot that scene without falling into the caricature trap? No top view with the hero screaming, please! George Lucas really flunked it in "Revenge of the Sith"...

... Couldn't we just have several directors working together???
    An impossible bet, that one :? ...
    “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Bakkhios
      ... How to shoot that scene without falling into the caricature trap? No top view with the hero screaming, please! ...
      Rodriguez would surely be tempted to recreated Brunner's depiction of this scene...
      [link expired]
      I was impressed by Rodriguez's integrity, resigning from the directors' guild because they wouldn't let him give Frank Miller a director credit for Sin City. When you look at how closely he's reproduced scenes from Miller's graphics, it's clear that the credit was deserved.

Gr.,
      Ant

Comment

:lol: Funny you should bring that illustration by Brunner!
        Though a very well-known (and though I'm very fond and admirative of most of Brunner's work), I had actually erased that one from my mind...

I mean, death-scenes are a tough one, these days...
        and actually, in the book, Elric doesn't scream to the heavens: he sobs, drops to the floor, deprived of energy after the killing and tetanized by the realisation of what happened,grabs Cymoril and then moans the fateful quote!

I think Gassner in the first edition of the french RPG "Stormbringer" was more true to the spirit...I have to find it back and post it somewhere (or if anybody could do it ?).

Originally posted by Ant
        I was impressed by Rodriguez's integrity, resigning from the directors' guild because they wouldn't let him give Frank Miller a director credit for Sin City.
        Definitely! :D

Plus Rodriguez fiery enthusiasm and full dedication is also a very appealing (if not necessary) argument in his favor!

Comment

In my opinion, RR's direction is consistently flat and two-dimensional. His work is visceral but lacking in subtlety or depth.

Suitable for a film like Sin City with its cast of two-dimensional comic book characters, but completely wrong for Elric.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakkhios
            I think Gassner in the first edition of the french RPG "Stormbringer" was more true to the spirit...I have to find it back and post it somewhere (or if anybody could do it ?).
            This one... ?
            [broken link]

Gr.,
            Ant
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

@ Ant: YESSS!!! :D That's it. Thanks!
              (And my apologies to those 0,00001% of our fellow readers for whom this conversation was a spoiler! :P )

@Tianzi: mmmh, you're maybe too harsh on poor Robert!
              Sure he doesn't really go for subtlety, but I wouldn't dismiss his direction as utterly "flat".
              I indeed have serious doubts as well as I pointed out above, but I wouldn't say he's "completely wrong for Elric".
              Some aspects of his direction would on the contrary be very right in my opinion... but I agree, not for the subtler aspects like the emotion or the brooding scenes as he hasn't really proved himself with that at all yet. That would call for real acting and strong acting direction... and more depth than the stylised comic-book-style characters he used until now.

But I was more thinking of his way of rendering action and violence in that special grand, very graphic and stylized (indeed again comic-book like) way. There was something there in "Sin City" that would just fit equally well. I cannot help but linking RR and Chaos in my mind... and it somehow feels right. Is it just me, then? :(

Anyway, of the two, Ang Lee is still my favourite... but I was just also thinking that Robert Rodriguez wasn't a completely ludicrous idea on many accounts.

What about more propositions?
              Let's see... I guess Ridley Scott has already been named?
              I wasn't too fond of "Kingdom of Heaven", though...

Comment

I wonder if Chow Yun Fat would be a good Elric...

Comment

This movie should be as little like a comic book as possible. It's fantasy, yes, but a story with incredible depth and one that needs to be done justice.
                  I liked Sin City a lot but I agree that Rodriquez is wrong for it.
                  Lee might be able to lend it a nice feel...
                  I'm just going to be skeptical of anyone in the role of Director, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Jude
                    I wonder if Chow Yun Fat would be a good Elric...
                    Wrong thread! [broken link]Right thread!

Cheers,
                    Ant
                    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                      This movie should be as little like a comic book as possible....
                      And yet... successful comic book/graphic novel adaptations of the books have already been published -- Cawthorn, Thomas/Russell/Gilbert -- not to mention Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer.

Ciao,
                      Ant

Comment

Has anyone considered Zhang Yimou?

House of Flying Daggers was just as beautifully rendered as Tiger/Dragon, with fully dimensional characters and amazing camera work.

Still, Ang Lee would rock despite the Hulk

Comment

Ken Russell. He needs the work. And there'll be some splendid birds in it. And they'll get their knockers out. A lot.

Comment

Anyone consider Christopher Nolan, He did Momento, and Batman Begins which I enjoyed thoroughly, he did a decent job making Batman dark and eeire enough to match the Burton ones...I think he could do a good job with Elric...

Comment

Paul Bettany

I never really even gave him much thought, but after seeing some of the user pics of him as Elric, I think he will be perfect. I wonder if he will be up to doind another albino after The DaVinci Code? If he has ever read any of MM book he would jump on it realizing that Elric is the greatest, most badass character of all time. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X