Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

«Elric: The Movie» orchestral soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
    Ahhhh....At last some visions blows in like a cool breeze on a scorching hot desert afternoon. Dave B. and Mike M. have been musicians in excess of 40 years. If anyone thinks that they don't have the capability to work with a full orchestra....I'd be willing to make them a little wager. On top of it all you have Simon House in the wings whom I consider to be a classical composer/musician as it stands. HAWKESTRA...yes...as long as they can contain Nik's noodle/sqwonking, and cut Lemmy's wattage in half.
    Hmm. I wouldn't take that bet, VG. And I agree with you about Simon House as well. But what experience have HW had in the field of epic movie soundtrack writing?
    Probably a helluva lot more than me, for one, but the question still stands!
    He's well smoked

Comment

Well I dunno ya see....How many epic movie soundtrack writers have created a complete Eternal Champion series, lasting for the past 40 yrs. complete with an entire compilation of music to compliment the same??
      How much $100.00 US?

Comment

Do you really think Nick and Dave would work together on a project now - even if Mike asked them to?

Ken
        Ken Boorman
        Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

I couldn't see why not.
          They could give each other the finger from recording booth's at opposite ends of the studio.
          I just know that Nik was involved in Hawkestra in 2000. I've also noticed that the internet bashing has settled down on various sites. I would still stay arms length away from Dave if I was the Thunder-Rider.
          Besides, Nik might share the rights to some of the songs that would compliment the story.
          One can only hope.

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
            I couldn't see why not.
            They could give each other the finger from recording booth's at opposite ends of the studio.
            I just know that Nik was involved in Hawkestra in 2000. I've also noticed that the internet bashing has settled down on various sites. I would still stay arms length away from Dave if I was the Thunder-Rider.
            Besides, Nik might share the rights to some of the songs that would compliment the story.
            One can only hope.
            Amen to all of the above. I've heard it said that 'Rumours' was deemed to be so good because Fleetwood Mac were all at each others throats (figurately speaking) during the making of it. What would Dave, Nik and Mike come up with, if you could get them all in the same room? Wow! There's a thought...
            Good point about the $100 VG! Smugboy!
            He's well smoked

Comment

I'd agree that Bear McCreary also does some really good stuff - and he can write rock music too, as well as classical scores. His website has some downloads on it - http://www.bearmccreary.com/ - one of my favourites is Allegro.

Still like Brian Tyler too.

I think it would be nice to give someone a little more obscure a chance - I love the music of Howard Shore and Hans Zimmer - and Classic FM is always playing it, but I do wish they'd play some McCreary and Tyler too sometimes - it's too good to miss.

Comment

I vote for the Clint Mansell & the Kronos Quartet - they did the Soundtracks to Requiem For A Dream and The Fountain
                Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I'm fairly anti-sound track these days, if only because of the sheer amount of dull score that is used to vainly make a film epic or give it pathos or whatever. Sound tracks are increasingly used to banish a possible trace of ambiguity and as a promotional gimick to flog some CDs on the back of the movie.

So if I had a say, I'll vote for no sound track whatsoever. Moorcock is so bloody good he doesn't need one!

If there has to be one then let it be exotic and percussive. Who ever suggested something Akira-esque got it right by my reckoning. But please Arioch not the ubiquitous epic drone of sweeping emotive string sections. And please Arioch, no Danny Elfman, John Williams or Howard fucking Shore! These alleged soundtrackists have ruined more films than the rest of Hollywood put together!
                  forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                  2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                  3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Orchestral

Most any orchestral conductor/music would be great.
                    As long as it is dark and intense.
                    Even John Williams has done sinister scores.
                    Hell, even 'The Ring' had a great score.
                    As long as it's not blues/classic rock or 'kiddie' heavy metal pop.

Comment

No new age.............

.....and please no manheim steamroller, or enya.

Comment

I love michael.........

...but Hawkwind is classic rock and is not complimentary for a darkened theatre/movie score. No offense, mr. moorcock.

Most any orchestral score will do.
                        As long as it's from the heart and intense sounding.

SIDENOTE :Please no casting 'Edgar Winter'.

1. He's not an actor, he's a musician, and 65 years old.

2. Just cause your skinny and have white skin/hair does not make you a good choice.

Comment

...but Hawkwind is classic rock

You Shouldn't Do That...Shouldn't Do That...Shouldn't Do That...

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken View Post
                            I vote for the Clint Mansell & the Kronos Quartet - they did the Soundtracks to Requiem For A Dream and The Fountain
                            Good choice, or this one...

http://www.jeremysoule.com/

Comment

I think Peter Gabriel and his standard team at Real World would do a nice job on a soundtrack. The film would need an Organic, Ambient, yet eclectic electric tonal feel in my opinion, and Gabriels soundtrack work leans heavily on that aspect.

I hope the producers realize how important a sountrack is, and are willing to spend the money to get a good one produced .... ... .. .

As far as Lisa Gerrad who has a wonderful voice and I would give a small portion of my left testicle to have her sing on my music.... ... .. . I Think any voice work should have someone who has not become a movie industry standard. Azam Ali and Noa come to mind as good alternatives.

Fun to ponder, everyone has a different vision of what their Melnibone' is like.

Cheers,

L.I.B

Comment

Kakegawa Yoske, he did the soundtrack for Kitano's Takeshis' as part of the unit Nagi.

http://www.freerecordshop.nl/pages/p...ductid=1151589
                                http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X