Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

«Elric: The Movie» orchestral soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Groakes
    "Rock" (read metal, etc) would date the film immediately. I want a film that I can watch in 20 years time and not wince in embarassment. I want something that I haven't heard before - something exotic, erotic, sensual, chilling. Something with light and shade. Something weird. Something organic....

Though Lisa Gerard as the voice of Stormbringer would be a great start...
    And orchestral? I'd like to hear Lisa Gerrard working with Howard Shore myself! Loved LoTR, and Lisa Gerrards voice is fantastic in Gladiator. Elrics world is soooo huge, it demands a powerful score to accompany it. Or maybe Trevor Jones (Last of the Mohicans) instead of Shore? LotM is very emotive, especially 'Promontory'.
    He's well smoked

Comment

I think that the the orchertral sountrack must not be "clasical" music.
      I would prefer something more modern but with roots on classical music.
      I suggesst Andre Olbrich and Hansi Kurch form Blind Guardian.
      I´m not saying that the music must be BG, I´m saying that this guys who are great musicians are perfectly able to do an orchestral sountrack for this movie.
      In fact they was proyect of doing Lotr sountrack, totaly orchestal and "Unmetal" but they couldnt do it because they were recording an albun.
      The next year they will at last record a concept album based on the lord of the rings that will be orchestral.
      Another reason is the voice of Hansi, he is the best singer since Fredie Mercury!!!!

See you in another time in another world

Comment

Re:

Hans Zimmer. He did the music for Pirates of the Caribbean and I thought it was wonderful stuff!

Comment

I would still settle for nothing less than a MOOR/HAWK score.

Comment

Godspeed You Black Emperor (or one of their offshoots) , whilst there's no chance of them doing it, would do the film justice.

Failing that, Mogwai.

Comment

What about a team up of Hawkwind and Hans Zimmer? *just throwing ideas out*

Comment

I've met Dave Brock and from what I've experienced in regards as to the length of his fuse....I would say that he would more than likely throw Hans Zimmer out.
                These guys have been dabbling in the Eternal Champion concept for over 35 years. Michael Moorcock and Dave Brock/Hawkwind have more than enough ability to write, arrange, produce and perform the musical score for the Elric movie. Again I must state that this one is a no brainer. The more Mike is involved...the more that the input context will be relevant to the true meaning of the story. I think that Mike deserves at least as much. These guys were musicians in the late 50's and earl 60's. Who on this earth has the right to tell them that they are not capable of arranging a musical score for a concept that they've created?

Comment

Once again it was a suggestion! I wasn't entirely serious about it as I have listened to hawkwind's stuff. I'm not doubting they don't have the ability as the early stuff is more or less enough proof to me that they can handle to the scores.

However, it's to be for a movie right? I'm only suggesting that maybe they should take a few instrumental pieces alone for some of the scenes. Moorcock's a smart guy as Elric's one of the most original series I've read and one of the most addicting series.

Moorcock should have full rights in the making of the film as Elric is his creation. Plus it would stick the book better the more he's involved.

Comment

Yes, Mike could incorporate the same feelings that he put into the story into the music....Im not sure how anyone else could accomplish that feat. With present day technology it could be made to sound in whatever format that he deemed necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
                      Yes, Mike could incorporate the same feelings that he put into the story into the music....Im not sure how anyone else could accomplish that feat. With present day technology it could be made to sound in whatever format that he deemed necessary.
                      I'm not being argumentative here - really! - BUT, it seems to me that there are some who write music for big adventure films, and some who write music for live performances/gigs/etc. Could HW really create a score to equal the huge scope of the story? I would want to be carried by the music, at the same pace as the story was unfolded. Someone who was used to balancing story and the aural ambience together, for film audiences, should do it imo. There's no reason why MM shouldn't be heavily involved from the start, ensuring that the soundtrack follows his original vision.
                      I think that trying to stick to a rock/metal/etc. soundtrack would be a mistake. The music needs to be more flexible imo, for the wider audience. Not all Elric fans are Hawkfans. (no offence meant VG!)
                      He's well smoked

Comment

I'll go with what you said Kipper. The only songs I've listened to by Hawkwind has only been the Elric songs.

Comment

Owww...I'm being bent like Gumby here.
                          My only fear would be that if the music is too soft and frilly the story could lose the impact of the sinister darkness lying within.
                          Harps and soft flutes could manifest The Eternal Champion into the middle of a "Charmin" commercial bound for the telly.
                          I fear that we would need the aid of Brannart Morphail to decide which format suits the need best. Perhaps I relate Moorcock to HW in the same manner that one relates butter to bread.

Comment

Sorry gumby. But how can one predict the music of a movie that hasn't even been filmed yet? You're thinking too soft and frilly while others are trying to broaden the feel. I didn't think Hans Zimmers made the pirate of the caribbean films' soundtracks too frilly. I thought it felt like the film and what it portrayed, thus is why I suggested him.

However I do stand my ground that whatever Moorcock chooses, is what he chooses, whether we agree or not.

Comment

SOUNDTRACK COMPOSER

RIGHT FOLKS LISTEN UP!!! THE ONLY MUSIC THAT WOULD COMPLIMENT THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE ELRIC MOVIE WOULD BE BY HAWKWIND AND NOBODY ELSE!! Parts of the movie could use their music HAWKESTRATED (preferably by the London philharmonic) and parts could use their rock music. MICHAEL MOORCOCK is part of Hawkwind and for that reason alone they deserve to do the movie - SO COME ON CHRIS AND PAUL YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!!!
                              Neil.

Comment

Lonewolfrissychan Posted:
                                But how can one predict the music of a movie that hasn't even been filmed yet?
                                Take a long look at the fella/gal in the bathroom mirror and repeat that question.
                                Neil Posted:
                                THE ONLY MUSIC THAT WOULD COMPLIMENT THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE ELRIC MOVIE WOULD BE BY HAWKWIND AND NOBODY ELSE!!
                                Ahhhh....At last some vision blows in like a cool breeze on a scorching hot desert afternoon. Dave B. and Mike M. have been musicians in excess of 40 years. If anyone thinks that they don't have the capability to work with a full orchestra....I'd be willing to make them a little wager. On top of it all you have Simon House in the wings whom I consider to be a classical composer/musician as it stands. HAWKESTRA...yes...as long as they can contain Nik's noodle/sqwonking, and cut Lemmy's wattage in half.
                                Last edited by voilodian ghagnasdiak; 12-15-2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X