Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

«Elric: The Movie» orchestral soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what about whatever orchestra that plays music for the final fantasy series?

Comment

I still stay firm that Elric in my opinion suited a rock theme, if not, at least get one of Domine's songs for end credits!

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtry
        James Newton Howard has done some really great stuff, and he has shown with his collaboration with Zimmer on Batman Begins that he can combine his emotional work with an action movie.
        I watched Batman Begins on DVD last night... and I was struck by how much the soundtrack reminded me of Philip Glass. As Glass was my first choice for the آ«Elricآ» soundtrack, I guess I've got to say I'd be happy with Howard.

Ciao,
        Ant

Comment

Elfman == da man

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          I voted for Danny Elfman. Boingo fan from way back, dontchaknow. Elfman's da man.
          Who else could do the Melnibonean operas?

Comment

Brian Tyler gets my vote. The "Children of Dune" CD was the one that kicked "LotR RotK" out of the player. He taught himself to play eastern instruments and also learnt the Freman language to be able to right lyrics in Freman - a really excellent score. I haven't heard any of his other stuff, but he has done quite a bit. Some of his stuff can be heard on Amazon (check out "Summon The Worms", "Main Title (House Atreides)" and "Inama Nushif (Montage)".
            I have to admit I am a sucker for anything sung in exotic languages including invented ones :) ! 'Inama Nushif' is certainly my favorite out of the 'COD' OST but the Dune Messiah theme is also very nice. Klaus Badelt did a wonderful job with 'Eloi' and 'Stone Language' for the 'Time Machine' OST IMHO. As I mentioned before they should really hire a linguist to construct Melnibonean and a few other languages to add realism to Elric's world. If everyone sings in English meh. This isn't a Broadway musical, dialogue in English enough. Even then some dialogue should be in another language with subtitles. Doing do would also add the mythic feeling of 'long ago and far away' to the film.

Comment

orchestrated soundtrack

Richard Gibbs. ( http://www.richardgibbsmusic.com/ ) -- you might know him from the new Battlestar Gallactica series.

Bear McCreary. ( http://www.bearmccreary.com/ ) -- composed some of the things in season one of BSG as an associate to Gibbs, above. (his sound is best described as eerie.) - site provides online demos.

Comment

This may be an offbeat choice, but I'd love to see Yoko Kanno do the score.
                Best/Mario

Comment

Arve Henriksen - I think his combination of a cold Nordic sound with Japanese and Persian influences would work well for incidental music.

Comment

My top picks include Farid Ruslan and Yoko Kanno. I also think George Oldziey is talented enough to pull an Elric OST off well (just listen to these short cues):

http://www.batrco.com/LD/4.mp3

http://www.batrco.com/LD/17.mp3

http://www.batrco.com/LD/21.mp3

Comment

Elliot Goldenthal who wrote for Alien 3 and sphere or Tan Dun for the "hero" soundtrack. Letting "early music" groups contribute with medieval or antique style music or creating music inspired form these genres would also be interesting. Having something else than just a pure orchestral soundtrack would add to the substance of the film.

Comment

Score

I suppose the obvious choice is Howard Shore (LOTR), but
                        I wouldn't mind John Barry but I think he is getting up there.
                        Wojciech Kilar (Coppola's Dracula) would also be a great choice. I would like the score to be a little less traditional. That's why I think it would be cool to go with either a real strange choice like Brian Eno, Philip Glass or someone from the rock world eg. Alan Parsons, or some real left of field choice like God Speed you Black Emperor (28 Days Later) or a strange modern artist working in the pop field like Bowie.

I hope it's not Danny Elfman as I feel all of his scores sound the same
                        That's my 2 cents.

God How I wish James Bernard (Hammer Classics) were still alive.

Comment

Elric soundtrack

Eric Serra, without a doubt.

But if i had to have a 2nd choice, i'd agree with the chap who suggested Richard Gibbs (although not due to his Battlestar Galactica credentials, but somthing closer to his soundtrack for Queen of the Damned).

Comment

No, Ennio Morricone shouldn't do the Elric movie, he should do the Dark Tower. Other then that, we should go with orchestral soundtrack, with an exotic feel. I can't say I've heared alot of Hawkwind, but it would be cool if they did a bit of it or were at least consulted.

Comment

"Rock" (read metal, etc) would date the film immediately. I want a film that I can watch in 20 years time and not wince in embarassment. I want something that I haven't heard before - something exotic, erotic, sensual, chilling. Something with light and shade. Something weird. Something organic....

Though Lisa Gerard as the voice of Stormbringer would be a great start...
                              Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                              Bakunin

Comment

Hanz Zimmer

Comment

Working...
                                X