Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

«Elric: The Movie» orchestral soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music

Ennio Morricone is the best living composer on this planet.

second option is Phillip Glass.

Comment

Re: Music

Originally posted by Hans von Hammer
      Ennio Morricone is the best living composer on this planet. ...
      Given your avatar as well, do I discern an interest in Westerns here?

Ciao,
      Ant

Comment

Westerns

Well, it is true that my love for westerns is a great one indeed, but it all started because of Morricone... In fact, i had prejudices against westerns until I HEARD Once upon a time in the west... and discovered the Spaghetti Westerns, and Morricone is indeed a great great composer... his works are all perfect, including the ones outside the soundtrack 'scene'. Phillip Glass is a really good one too, but if you want perfection, Morricone is the name. He is not limited or focused, he is ... perfect! (I am a musician myself, so i think i speak not out of heart, but of my musical knowledge.. i guess)

Comment

More on Soundtrack

Ah, before I forget... if you guys want something of quality but not so obvious as the names already given, here are some guys that can ndo a pretty good job and are relatively "surprising" :

Nobuo Uematsu (He does the final fantasy score... it is AMAZING! top quality music)

The guys that did SIN CITY (It is pretty impressive, and fits the movie perfectly. I bet my fingers they could do a good job on ANY movie, but it would sound a bit different)

BALDURS GATE SOUNDTRACK (I dont know the names, but that game has incredible themes and a fabulous soundtrack... it would be great)

Comment

If the choice were mine to make, I'd choose The Changelings to score the film:

http://www.mindspring.com/~nomad3/changelings/home.html

They have an electronic yet organic chamber music style and haunting ethereal vocals which would be perfect, as the sound can be imagined to not be grounded in any place or time. I think it's odd to use orchestral music for something such as LOTR, because they are using instruments which aren't necessarily existing in that fiction's particular milieu.

Comment

Originally posted by Peasily
              ... I think it's odd to use orchestral music for something such as LOTR, because they are using instruments which aren't necessarily existing in that fiction's particular milieu.
              But you could say just the same for any contemporary style of music!

Gr.,
              Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                Originally posted by Peasily
                ... I think it's odd to use orchestral music for something such as LOTR, because they are using instruments which aren't necessarily existing in that fiction's particular milieu.
                But you could say just the same for any contemporary style of music!

Gr.,
                Ant
                True, but in the example of a group like the Changelings, they could emulate exotic or alien-sounding instruments with samples, etc., and they can use simpler medieval and archaic instruments from around the world (They tend to blend electronic keyboards with real strings, in their previous endeavors).

Comment

Mmm... I take your point but I think you're underestimating the versatility of an orchestral score.

One consideration is that a movie score should be in sympathy with the audience's emotional response to what's on the screen. Too exotic a score - however appropriate to the fictional milieu - just won't do the job.

This was, perhaps, the problem with Gabriel Yared's rejected score for Troy: "Warner Brothers executives summarily dismiss[ed] the entire work as being too incompatible with their notions of what the score should sound like" (source: http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/troy.html).

Cordialement,
                  Ant

Comment

Soundtrack

How about a dirge? Something like Danzig's Black Aria album? Something like that would, I believe, go perfect with an Elric movie.

Comment

This was, perhaps, the problem with Gabriel Yared's rejected score for Troy: "Warner Brothers executives summarily dismiss[ed] the entire work as being too incompatible with their notions of what the score should sound like"
                      Oh that :x . Actually, Ant have you had a chance to hear Yared's score in it's entirety? At first I thought it had perhaps been 'out there' as WB executives mentioned...until I got my hands on it. Wow. To say that it 1. DID fit the movie perfectly and 2. Was infinetly better than what Horner was forced to crank out at the last minute, is a vast understatement :| . Why, it's no more 'exotic' than 'Clash Of The Titans' or anything put out by old-time composers like Miklos Rozsa etc. :?!!! What a waste :(...

www.batrco.com/AchillesDestiny.mp3

Comment

Orchestral Hit

I say orchestral score!

I think that what makes a score "exotic" is the composer, mainly, not only the instruments used. If you hear Antar or Sheherazade by Korsakow and The ninth Symphony of Beethoven and Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky-Ravel you will see what i am talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Athenys
                          ... Actually, Ant have you had a chance to hear Yared's score in it's entirety? ...
                          No... bad example, then.

Ciao,
                          Ant

Comment

My someone else is Jon Brion. He did the score for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which I quite liked. It'd be interesting to see what he'd come up with.

Comment

I'd say Domine, there music has been MM-inspired since the 80s, I think they'd be more familiar with it that anyone else (if not, at leaset get Domine's "Chronicles of the Black Sword" for the credit roll (be diffrent, not another sappy song like LOTRs, Elric to me has always been in my mind as something best suited for the electric guitar)

Comment

Brian Tyler gets my vote. The "Children of Dune" CD was the one that kicked "LotR RotK" out of the player. He taught himself to play eastern instruments and also learnt the Freman language to be able to right lyrics in Freman - a really excellent score. I haven't heard any of his other stuff, but he has done quite a bit. Some of his stuff can be heard on Amazon (check out "Summon The Worms", "Main Title (House Atreides)" and "Inama Nushif (Montage)".

I think there should be some prog-rock in the sound track too. For some reason I always think of Led Zeppelin's "immigrant song" as providing a good backdrop.

Comment

Working...
                                X