Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

«Elric: The Movie» orchestral soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basil Poledouris (Conan: The Barbarian Soundtrack)

Comment

Originally posted by ApocalypticVision
      According to IBDb, he's done a ton of stuff... but the only one that stands out in my memory is Robocop... I'm not sure he's a good fit for Elric...

Ciao,
      Ant

Comment

I am all for Danny Elfman, Philip Glass, and James Horner, from that list. Hans Zimmer could also work.

I suppose that my vote goes to Philip Glass, for I find him to express emotions most fluently without being heavy-handed or bombastic.
        'The canons of narrative art in any medium cannot be wholly different; and the failure of poor media is often precisely in exaggeration, and in the intrusion of unwarranted matter owing to not perceiving where the core of the original lies.' - Tolkien

Comment

I would prefer the music of "Dead Can Dance".
          Not really orchestral but very emotional.

Comment

Originally posted by Schattenschlag
            I would prefer the music of "Dead Can Dance".
            Not really orchestral but very emotional.
            So... that comment probably belongs on [broken link]this other thread... although that seems to be leaning strongly towards heavy metal.

Why not start a new thread on alternatives to a HM or an orchestral soundtrack?

MfG,
            Ant

PS. DCD - or Lisa Gerrard solo (cf. The Mirror Pool) - would be pretty good!
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
              Originally posted by ApocalypticVision
              According to IBDb, he's done a ton of stuff... but the only one that stands out in my memory is Robocop... I'm not sure he's a good fit for Elric...

Ciao,
              Ant
              well you need to hear Conan: The Barbarian and Conan: The Destroyer soundtrack!

Comment

Someone else

Uli Jon Roth

and he should also do the "Voice" of stormbringer. Just listen to Scorpions "In Trance" CD 1976 and imagine that screaming guitar sound, that perfect shreiking moaning that must be the voice of Stormbringer.
                Most of the songs from that LP or CD give the dark cloud of Elric feeling mostly sad but determined.
                You must listen to Uli's guitar the loud screaming lead. Then check out his orchestra today playing in the UK and just added a 5th season to Vivaldi's 4 seasons and plays all 5 seasons on guitar with his Sky Transcendental Orchestra on backup. This new cd is called Metamorphasis is is available at www.ulijonroth.com
                but you must consider the old sound from the above mentioned "Scorpions" era of Uli's career. He still has the same amps and can play the same guitar and make the same sounds!

Comment

Lisa Gerard from Dead Can Dane
                  David Arkenstone
                  Howard Shore
                  Hans Zimmer
                  James Horner

Comment

@Guest: Register and then you can vote!

Howard Shore's doing surprisingly well... can he create a score as impressive as but quite different from LOTR's? I'm not so sure...

The more I listen to Glass, the more I'm convinced. He'd certainly be my choice for my movie...

Cordialement,
                    Ant

Comment

Besides Yared (still my first pick) some good composers would include Jeremy Soule, Jack Wall, Farid Russlan and Frederik Talgorn. These are all relatively little known but extremely talented. The only two famous ones that are versatile enough to properly score Elric would likely be James Newton Howard and John Debney. A collaboration with performers like Dead Can Dance, Vas, Stellamara and/or Irina Mikhailova would be ideal for ambient music in the film. Hans Zimmer is competent but methinks Yared or Howard would best him.

Comment

I'd like to see Joby Talbot (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and The League of Gentlemen) have a go.

But of course, I would say that as I'm entirely biased :lol:

Comment

Well since there's an 80's revival going on.. What about 'flashdance', 'Footloose' and 'Thriller' like music?
                          I wanna see Elric boogie dowwwnnn! :lol:

Comment

Although I voted for Shore, I want to say that Basil Poledouris (Conan soundtrack) is a great composer as well.

Comment

Hans Zimmer, all the way. Listen to "Thin Red Line" Track 3 Journey to the line...Wow.
                              James Newton Howard has done "Unbreakable", i like it very much. Especially the track called Mr.Glass..iirc.

Comment

An original choice will be Kenji KAWAI, one of the best japanese composer with Joe HISASHI.

Listent mainly track 2, 7 and 10 of the OST from "Ghost in the shell 2" and "Log off" and "Log in" in the Avalon OST.

Comment

Working...
                                X