Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A brief comment on the status... Bettany not Elric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A brief comment on the status... Bettany not Elric?

From the interview that Berry [broken link]posted on the Q&A forum...

J.D.: Universal Pictures have optioned a trilogy of Elric movies, to be written, produced and directed by Chris and Paul Weitz. I know it's early days yet, but what is the current status with those productions?

M.M.: The picture, as pictures do, goes along slowly— but it does go along.

We now have a script, which I'm informed Universal are delighted with, written by Chris and Paul. I have made my notes about it, Universal have made theirs and so on. We're currently about to take the next step, I hope. I'd also hoped that maybe Paul Bettany could be considered for the role but apparently there's a villain in The Da Vinci Code who's an albino and he's taken that part. See what I mean about feeling swamped by ideas that I used to think of as my own?
    Does this mean Jude Law is back in the running... or another one of the [broken link]many actors (and actresses!) that have already been suggested?

Ciao
    Ant
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM.

Re: A brief comment on the status... Bettany not Elric?

[quote]J.D.: Universal Pictures have optioned a trilogy of Elric movies, to be written, produced and directed by Chris and Paul Weitz.

I'd also hoped that maybe Paul Bettany could be considered for the role but apparently there's a villain in The Da Vinci Code who's an albino and he's taken that part. See what I mean about feeling swamped by ideas that I used to think of as my own?

Oh <sigh> :( I Sooo hoped Paul Bettany would star as Elric. How about Vince {What's his last name?} He looked good in the picture in the gallery. They'd be my 2 choices. Yea, I know, like I had a say in the matter...haha.

A TRILOGY!! Oh, I'm so excited! Triple the ecstasy!

Comment

Hi, first post here :)

I stumbled in the other day looking for some Elric artwork I remember seeing ooh, at least 15 years ago - and was delighted to read that an Elric movie was imminent (never found that picture, mind you).

So I checked out the movie forum threads, and read the suggestion of Paul Bettany, which started little cogs and mice and things off in my brain.

See, I'm also a fan of Doctor Who (no prizes for those who've figured out what's coming next). Bettany's part in the Da Vinci Code was also offered to Christopher Eccleston, who turned it down.

So yes, I'd love to see Eccleston as Elric. I think he's a fantastic actor, and he does intense and tortured so very well.

That said, I think Paul Bettany's a good choice, looks-wise. I've yet to see any of his films, so I can't judge that far, but he's certainly had plenty of praise. Nice to be here, anyway, I'm going to have a nosey round the rest of the forum :D

Comment

Welcome, aminspace!

Ciao,
        Ant

Comment

Wow, you were quick off the mark! Thanks for the welcome, and

Ciao! :D

Comment

Hey aminspace, are you another 'refugee' from Outpost Gallifrey?

Avatar of 'aminspace' on Outpost Gallifrey.

If indeed you are the one and the same, then I can only say "OMGsqueee!" :D

If not, then apologies but you looked like someone else from the back. ;)

Cheers,
            David
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Wahey! Yes, it's me.

Squee!! :lol:

..and yes, I've been squeeing at Elric for about 20 years :D Still not got me an avatar for here yet, I only joined this afternoon.

Comment

Johnathan rhyes meyers would be perfect if Bettany won't do it.
                Enough said.

Bob-e-bane

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                  Johnathan rhyes meyers would be perfect if Bettany won't do it. ...
                  JRM is another popular suggestion... and here's what he might look like in the role, courtesy of PsychicWarVeteran (left) and Bakkhios (right) (click on each thumbnail for a larger image!).

[link expired]
                  [image moved]

Cordialement,
                  Ant

Comment

Originally posted by aminspace
                    Hi, first post here :)

So yes, I'd love to see Eccleston as Elric. I think he's a fantastic actor, and he does intense and tortured so very well.

That said, I think Paul Bettany's a good choice, looks-wise. I've yet to see any of his films, so I can't judge that far, but he's certainly had plenty of praise.
                    I haven't seen any of Bettany's films either, but he looks the part, I believe he's a little taller than the average Hollywood star (Most are about 5' 3" to 5' 8", I'd say). And since Elric is !! TALL !! ;o), it should be someone who is at least tall enough to have the cameras give the effect that he's a head above everyone else.

Being able to do intense and tortured is great. Would love to see a picture. In Elric costume of course. ;o)

Comment

Wahey! Yes, it's me.

Squee!! :lol:

..and yes, I've been squeeing at Elric for about 20 years :D Still not got me an avatar for here yet, I only joined this afternoon.
                      14 years for me. <shawiiiinggg!!!> ;o)

Comment

Somebody's already photoshopped Eccleston, on this very forum -

[broken link]

He's yummy. And at least 6'.

(demos99, I nearly bid on this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...213875186&rd=1

- then I spotted you! And then I pissed myself laughing.)
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Somebody's already photoshopped Eccleston, on this very forum -

[broken link]

He's yummy. And at least 6'.
                          Oh, good a tall actor! And yummy to boot. I must have missed that photo when cruising through the photos and art. I should be so good at photoshop! ;o)
                          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tianzi

2. I agree that Paul Bettany would make a fabulous candidate to play the lead role as Elric.

His work in "A Knight's Tale" and "Master & Commander" have been mentioned repeatedly in the other threads on this board. I was surprised to see no mention of his standout performance in "A Beautiful Mind", winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture of the Year.

Frankly, I can't comprehend why you would write off such a talented actor because of your dislike of one film he has acted in: "Wimbledon". I haven't seen the film, but most of the reviews I've read, from the BBC's to the NY Times' to The Wall Street Journal's, opined that the movie was mediocre *BUT FOR* the outstanding acting of Bettany!

Bettany doesn't yet have the "star appeal" of Jude Law, however, and your personal preferences notwithstanding, Law's work is very well-regarded by most film critics, and he has legions of adoring fans.

Jude Law might be the better choice for a film that focuses on a single character, and whose source medium doesn't have quite the following of the LOTR.
                            Just thought this should be in this thread... :)

Gr.,
                            Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                              Originally posted by Tianzi

Frankly, I can't comprehend why you would write off such a talented actor because of your dislike of one film he has acted in: "Wimbledon". I haven't seen the film, but most of the reviews I've read, from the BBC's to the NY Times' to The Wall Street Journal's, opined that the movie was mediocre *BUT FOR* the outstanding acting of Bettany!

Bettany doesn't yet have the "star appeal" of Jude Law, however, and your personal preferences notwithstanding, Law's work is very well-regarded by most film critics, and he has legions of adoring fans.

Jude Law might be the better choice for a film that focuses on a single character, and whose source medium doesn't have quite the following of the LOTR.
                              Just thought this should be in this thread... :)

Gr.,
                              Ant
                              Well Mark Hamill wasn't that well known either until he played the role of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars. Frankly, I don't think it's WHO plays the character, to me it's important that he has the resemblance and height, and THAT HE DOES A GOOD JOB PLAYING THE ROLE. Paul Bettany definitely has the look!!

Comment

Working...
                              X