Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Movie Yapping

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Yapping

OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooohhhhhhh my god! 8O 8O 8O

It's been so long since I logged in here, this topic is now on, what... 5 threads? I kinda lost count when all the suggested names turned into big red dancing letters and the piccies all merged into one big blur! :?

I think my eyes are bleeding!!! :(

Anyhoo... Not wishing to detract from all the fun you regular guys are having posting suggestion after suggestion after suggestion after... well... I think you probably get the idea as to where I'm going there, right?

All well and good for the regulars, have some fun, toss ideas around and whatnot :D , but I've seen a few people ask questions on this/these threads of a more definitive nature, ie "Is there any concrete info in here?", "Is this still going ahead?", "Has Universal kept the license?", etc (cannot be bothered looking for the genuine posts to quote from :oops: ), only to get little in the way of an answer beyond "Search the thread."

Okay, so I've searched the thread, sifted through the mass of posts from part 3 onwards (parts 1 and 2 being viewed a long time ago), and I again ask...

Is this film still going ahead? Or are you guys all just tossing ideas around for the sheer hell of it?
    If the film is still underway, has anything at all been decided as to anything? (From the continued suggestions I would say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask)

I would like to make one suggestion for this thread... Or rather for the Movie Thread Index- How about adding a part that says

Movie Status
    Packed in about seven months back but we never told you cos we're evil! :lol:
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry if this post sounds a bit... edgy... but after reading through all that and finding out nothing of consequence posted at all except the same suggestions over and over and over again I'm reminded why I quit following this thread and the site in general to begin with (since the main reason I came here as often as I used to was a- to follow the film's progress, and b- to follow the progress of the last few books). :? :(

More than likely I'll come back here in a few days to see if Mr M has been kind enough to answer this himself with some definitive information- please, no "read the thread" responses! After that, I guess I'll stick my nose back in in another 4 months time and see if anything has progressed.

Sorry to bother.

o/ o> o/ o> o/

It just occurs to me that if the status of the film ever does change, and things are decided firmly, that such info could be summarised in the Movie Status portion of the thread index to save casual viewers the torture of reading through the rest of the stuff...

Good thinking, eh? :D :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by OMGILOSTMYLOGININFO
      OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooohhhhhhh my god! 8O 8O 8O

It's been so long since I logged in here, this topic is now on, what... 5 threads? I kinda lost count when all the suggested names turned into big red dancing letters and the piccies all merged into one big blur! :?

I think my eyes are bleeding!!! :(

Anyhoo... Not wishing to detract from all the fun you regular guys are having posting suggestion after suggestion after suggestion after... well... I think you probably get the idea as to where I'm going there, right?

All well and good for the regulars, have some fun, toss ideas around and whatnot :D , but I've seen a few people ask questions on this/these threads of a more definitive nature, ie "Is there any concrete info in here?", "Is this still going ahead?", "Has Universal kept the license?", etc (cannot be bothered looking for the genuine posts to quote from :oops: ), only to get little in the way of an answer beyond "Search the thread."

Okay, so I've searched the thread, sifted through the mass of posts from part 3 onwards (parts 1 and 2 being viewed a long time ago), and I again ask...

Is this film still going ahead? Or are you guys all just tossing ideas around for the sheer hell of it?
      If the film is still underway, has anything at all been decided as to anything? (From the continued suggestions I would say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask)

I would like to make one suggestion for this thread... Or rather for the Movie Thread Index- How about adding a part that says

Movie Status
      Packed in about seven months back but we never told you cos we're evil! :lol:
      :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry if this post sounds a bit... edgy... but after reading through all that and finding out nothing of consequence posted at all except the same suggestions over and over and over again I'm reminded why I quit following this thread and the site in general to begin with (since the main reason I came here as often as I used to was a- to follow the film's progress, and b- to follow the progress of the last few books). :? :(

More than likely I'll come back here in a few days to see if Mr M has been kind enough to answer this himself with some definitive information- please, no "read the thread" responses! After that, I guess I'll stick my nose back in in another 4 months time and see if anything has progressed.

Sorry to bother.

o/ o> o/ o> o/
      Search the thread.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

But seriously, if there was anything to report, don't you think it'd have been reported here? Now, had you searched the Q&A using the "Search" feature using "elric movie" as keywords in your search, you'd have found this:

[broken link]

So, instead of scolding everyone for not supplying you with the information, please consider using the search tools in the future.

If we adopted your idea about posting a status in the index page, people would be asking when we were going to be changing the status. This site is focused on regular readers, not the mass of humanity. It's up to the occasional visitor to sift through the threads using search. When a movie finally materializes, I suspect you'll hear about it, through the newsletter an the announcement that will be made.

But if you're waiting for a YES there is a movie or NO there isn't a movie status report, you're going to be waiting a very long time.
        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Whine much?

You obviously haven't looked hard enough.

Sorry if this post sounds a bit... edgy...
          A bit? You're ranting! Most people probably don't even finish reading your post.

I'm reminded why I quit following this thread and the site in general...
          Hmm, how soon do you think before you go back to that?

More than likely I'll come back here in a few days to see if Mr M has been kind enough to answer this himself with some definitive information...
          You may meet with disappointment as it's been my experience Mr. M doesn't like to repeat himself over and over for people who won't simply... er... read the threads.

That said, please accept our apologies that our conversations aren't to your liking. We'll try to do better in the future. :roll:

o\ o< o\ o< o\

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
            Now, had you searched the Q&A using the "Search" feature using "elric movie" as keywords in your search, you'd have found this:

[broken link]

So, instead of scolding everyone for not supplying you with the information, please consider using the search tools in the future.
            Good answer, Berry! Amazing what that "Search" function is capable of, isn't it?
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Was there a question somewhere?
              Miqque
              ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

But seriously, if there was anything to report, don't you think it'd have been reported here? Now, had you searched the Q&A using the "Search" feature using "elric movie" as keywords in your search, you'd have found this:

[broken link]

OK, we have a finished script under review- that's what I was looking for, thanks.

I'll accept criticism for not using the search feature, in my experience forum search results usually throw up a lot of irrelevant results. It looks like this isn't the case here. Kudos to you on that one.

Still, when one sees a thread such as this one, supposedly the definitive movie thread, you'd expect relevant info to be found somewhere within it, not in an entirely different thread not even referenced in the main thread or the thread index. Forgive me if I assumed the point of that was to keep track of such things... :roll:

But seriously, if there was anything to report, don't you think it'd have been reported here?
                I would have thought that, yet it wasn't...
                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 04:24 AM.

Comment

movie stats

i tend to agree there should be a section where we cannot post in that states all movie progress in a quick short glance maybe there is and i just dont pay enough attention

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous

[broken link]

I'll accept criticism for not using the search feature, in my experience forum search results usually throw up a lot of irrelevant results. It looks like this isn't the case here. Kudos to you on that one.
                    I wasn't criticizing you for not using the search feature. I was criticizing you for ranting on everyone.

Regarding your idea: it might be time to expand the Elric Movie index to other fixed threads as you and others seem to be interested in it. Maybe a new forum is in order. Let me think about this.
                    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 04:24 AM.

Comment

The other topic (about "victory" and such :roll: ) disappeared as I was posting to it, so I'll put this here instead...

Is the Elric Movie the only project that requires a "hard news, stay off the grass, no ball games, no fun" thread? Obviously it is at the moment, but when a new book is mooted, won't that require something similar? or is it just because films have such a long gestation period, and so many elements (casting, FX, music, etc.) to lure innocent and well-meaning posters off-topic?
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

One must try to determine wherein the problem lies. Is the problem the regular posters who use a BBS for what it was intended (i.e. conversations with people all over the world) or is it the occasional single lurker who gets his panties in a bunch because the info he wants isn't immediately available to him?

Honestly, who should a site like this cater to? The answer seems obvious.
                        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

The books draw an entirely different sort of poster, eh? The qualification being that you can read...

Comment

The above post doesn't really say what I set out to say.

This site is going to draw every kind of person. Those seeking information about Mike's books are going to perservere and find the information they seek. Those looking for a quick fix are going to be disappointed mostly. You really do have to invest some time here to research the site to get what you want on a lot of obscure topics. But finally, there is detailed information on The Net about these obscure topics.

The regulars here are apt to be involved with things that aren't appealling to movie fans, non-readers, RPGers and video gamers and other casual visitors.

The only thing that tweaks me is when someone who never makes a contribution, critisizes the site and its culture without having interacted with it. Something better has come from this instance, and it will outlast the whining to the advantage of regulars and casuals alike. The original rant could have been communicated like this: "I have a great idea! Consider doing this: blah blah blah. How can I help facilitate this?"

Regulars and casuals are welcome here. Whiners who don't contribute can sod off. Apologies to those who have a distate for my brand of candid evaluation. It's not always in the spirit of the community, but it tends to repel troublemakers and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X