Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Aren't most contemporary symphonic filmscores putrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aren't most contemporary symphonic filmscores putrid?

Dear Michael,

I am an American conductor, living and working in Europe these 20 years, and a big fan of yours. Having just read about your upcoming film projects, I'd like to know whether you have definite plans regarding the soundtrack style. (Worst part of the LOTR films, aside from bad added dialogue, was the platitude laden score.) IF Elric is to have any symphonic embellishment, then I'd like to be a part of it (yes I also compose on occaison, when I'm not conducting Mahler, Bruckner, Verdi, Mozart etc).

I rarely browse the internet, but today I have a cold, and finding this site has brightened the day considerably.

If you have any interest, please let me know. (NB: my filmscore heroes are Waxman, Steiner, Auric and Herrmann..... and I believe Swords and Sorcery needs something operatic, written by someone who knows 19th cent. music rom the inside.)

Best regards and bonne chance with the film studios -
    Michael Hurshell

(I originally posted this to "Rock and Roll", but thought it might reach you quicker here.)

I agree, I am a big fan of classical music and find film scores one of the wrost aspects of films. I can't help but listen to the music and most is just bad, boring and obvious. I do think there is a school of film music and it is bad.

All the films which I can think of that have good music in them have used classical music composed before the film eg 2001 or the original Tarkovsky version of Solaris. The one exception would be the original star wars trilogy, but the music it still a bit obvius and flat to me. It often seems like mood labelling to me, standard styles for tense bits, romantic scenes and action. They may as well put a big sign onver the screen saying what kind of scene it is now. It would be great if Elric film could have some really good music, that added to the film.

Cheers Dobbie
    MEEP !

Comment

I agree completely. I suggest you contact the producers around the time the movie goes into production. I'll be glad to put you in touch with the appropriate people.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
        I agree completely. I suggest you contact the producers around the time the movie goes into production. I'll be glad to put you in touch with the appropriate people.

Dear Michael,

Thanks for the prompt reply! I would love to be put in touch with the appropriate people, indeed. Perhaps you could email me directly ([email protected]) about that, when the time is right.

Thanks!

Comment

Conductor needed?

Dear Michael,

I was wondering about the state of the plans for an Elric Movie soundtrack. You had mentioned (see below) that you could "put me in touch" - has the movie gone into production yet?

Michael Hurshell
          (just returned from the Dأ¼sseldorf opera - Mozarts Cosi, a delight!)

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
          X