Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I went back to that same bookstore to take a gander at the price and it was gone...

Good idea. From now on if I see something in a store or on the net that someone might like, I will post on the Community board. If we all do the same, it should work out okay for everyone.

I'm going to put a link up there for Dreamhaven books, because they still have same Omnibus volumes at the normal retail price. I just got The Dancers at the End of Time and Earl Aubec in the mail today.

Comment

• Well,I had dropped many names at the old Multiverse site,
      so here goes:

I like Depp or Guy Pearce (Count of Monte Cristo and Time Machine)
      in the role of Elric. Rufus Sewell is not a bad choice either.

Yyrkoon - Vincent Cassel (Brotherhood of the Wolf)

Smiorgan Baldhead - unfortunately he's too old now, but Brian Blessed!

Cymoril - Monica Belucci - especially after the Matrix role - very dark, sultry
      and mysterious (BTW, I never got that Cymoril was that much younger
      than Elric?)

That's all I have for now. And, as far as actors being too short - LoTR shows
      how that can be overcome :)

Ian
      Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
      go to hell so that they will look forward to
      making the trip.

Comment

• It's been interesting and stimulating to read the several forum-members "wishlists" regarding the upcoming movie, mostly because their choices shows how they percieve Elric and the other characters.
        So far, there has been lots of talk about actors, but the main question here is: Who would you like to see direct?
        ..And this leads me to a question for Mr. Moorcock:
        You've often mentioned that several producers and filmcompanies has shown interest in your work, but have you ever been approached by an actor or director, who has been willing to commit themselves?
        I read somewhere in an interview that the well versed Christopher Lee was interested in playing Arioch, if I'm not mistaken?
        Also, who do you see as a potential director?

Comment

• But doesnt Arioch usually manifest himself as a beautiful young man?

Comment

• I always thought:

Elric: Michael Wincott, but I know MM doesn't agree here. Maybe it's because the Gould Elric is stuck in my head:-). There's something about his voice that makes me think he's perfect for Elric's sardonic moods.

I always thought Elric looked like the drummer from Bahaus, so someone who looks like that, but acts like Richard III-style Ian McKellen.

Arioch: Jaye Davidson or David Bowie.

Yrkoon: Not sure . . . Tim Roth for the feel, maybe?

Smiorgan Baldhead: Morgan Freeman.

Moonglum: Andy Serkis.

Comment

• Ag! :0
              \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
              Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

• Tim Roth as...

Tim Roth as...Arioch.

Too cool. Perfect.

For those that don't understand this possibility I'd suggest somehow digging up old copies of two films I saw a long time ago.

Berkoff's "Metamorphosis" with Tim Roth in the lead. To me, anything done by Berkoff has the touch of genius.

The Kafka episode of "Ten Great Writers" with Roth as K.

This guy can do it. The fact that he is somwhat slight of stature makes it even better for me. Arioch is not actually about a physical presence, which we know is always deceptive anyway. And there is something about Roth that speaks of a hidden malice.

Comment

• Gary Oldman - Arioch.

heآ´s the bad guy supreme.

Comment

• Originally posted by maelstrom
                    Gary Oldman - Arioch.

heآ´s the bad guy supreme.
                    Indeed he is, if youve seen the Trailer for the new Harry Potter Movie, youd see how evil he can be.

Comment

• Arioch is supposed to look beautiful....Oldman, not sure. As a supreme bad guy, i think he can be a good Theleb Karna or Jagreen Lern. Arioch should have an ironic but pretty face with an insane charisma.

Comment

• I think Ridley Scott or Terry Gilliam would be great choices to direct, but I doubt we'll see that happen. Maybe Ang Lee? He did both the Ice Storm and The Hulk, maybe he'd like to do a sword and sorcery film now. David Fincher might be a good choice. Alien3 is a very underrated flick, which was butchered by the studio execs, and well all know about Se7en and Fight Club. The Game is also a pretty good flick. I think Fincher would be perfect.

Comment

• Terry Gilliam would be great choice of director. It doesn't take much imagination to visualise how his unique surreal worlds created in Time Bandits, Twelve Monkeys, and Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, could easily translate over into the bizzare landscapes and characters that appear in the Elric sagas.
                          Out of curiosity, does anyone know if he is a Moorcock Fan? I know he had recently been working on a screen adaptation of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. He has also been working on bringing the Brothers Grimm to the big screen (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Frog King, Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, Rumpelstilzchen, Snow-White).

Comment

• I spoke about this with Mike before - the guy who
                            directed Brotherhood of the Wolf - the feel and
                            atmosphere of that movie would go well.

Ian
                            Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
                            go to hell so that they will look forward to
                            making the trip.

Comment

• mentioning Terry Gilliam, who has Brazil in mind, especially the fantastic dream sequence fight. this was really a great one. not that Lowry resembled Elric in any way of course :D

Comment

• Originally posted by kard
                                mentioning Terry Gilliam, who has Brazil in mind, especially the fantastic dream sequence fight. this was really a great one. not that Lowry resembled Elric in any way of course :D
                                Brasil is one of my favorite movies. The parts that struck me as very familiar about our lives was the scene at the restaurant. Ordering the food from a beautiful picture on a menu and receiving a fancy bowl of goop. "You have to order by the number!" The bomb explosion and the mothers trying to negotiate a liason. That movie makes me crazy!

By the way, did you see The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen(sp?) and The Fisher King? I didn't like The Fisher King the first time I saw it. But years later I saw it again and enjoyed it. Those are Gilliam's too.
                                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Working...
                                X