Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Michael Wincott. Go to the IMDB.com to see his pic. I think hes great at being the bad guy, and looks the part. To me he does anyways.

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Originally posted by mickey
    Yeah, there's something about Jennifer Connelly that is so hot. I lose myself watching her in movies. I'm not totally sure if she's the perfect candidate for Cymoril, but I think you could do a lot worse. Did anyone come up with anyone good for playing the part of Yarkoon?
    Id go with The Prison Master from The Count of Monte Cristo to play yrkoon. I cant remember his name for the life of me. If and when i remember ill post it. Wait in eager anticipation....

Leave a comment:

• mickey
    replied
    Yeah, there's something about Jennifer Connelly that is so hot. I lose myself watching her in movies. I'm not totally sure if she's the perfect candidate for Cymoril, but I think you could do a lot worse. Did anyone come up with anyone good for playing the part of Yarkoon?

Leave a comment:

• PoisonArrow
    replied
    Cymoril

Casting Paul Bettany along side his real life wife Jennifer Connely as Cymoril might make for some very emotional scenes. Especially when Paul has to kill his own wife. No method acting required there.

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Come to think of it, they're almost at opposite poles as far as public aclaim goes. Dickens sold millions and millions in his day. Blake sold, I believe, two copies...
    So, you are the one who bought the other copy!

(heh)

Leave a comment:

• PoisonArrow
    replied
    The look of Stormbringer for the upcoming movie...

Much has been made of who should be cast as Elric. I am all for MM's choice of Paul Bettany. I went and saw Wimbeldon today, and I wouldn't worry much about this film sinking Bettany. It was neither great nor horrible. A harmless romance set within an athletic comeback story.

That being said, I would like to raise the question of how to "cast" Stormbringer. Meaning, what should it look like? There are many artists who have given their vision of it for us to debate. And of course we could all formulate our own. Perhaps we could discuss what we all view as important elements of a proper form for this famous sword.

The first time I read the Elric saga was from the six paperbacks with the cover art from Robert Gould. His vision of Stormbringer has always stuck with me. I would make simple changes to it, but the basic form is correct in my mind. I think most agree that it should be a great two handed sword, not some form of long sword. Gould's straight broad blade also seems right to me. There is something oddly correct in Gould's version that has always struck me unique to his vision. The handle seems so thin in comparison to the weight of the blade. This has always given me a sense of the "alieness" of Stormbringer. As if it's owner is holding on for dear life as Stormbringer carves it's own path. The handle being a mere connection to it's wielder rather than a physical means of control.

I also like the simplicity of the crossguard design. In other artists work this has transformed into a complicated tangle of elements which seem to be over the top. One popular scheme seems to be the one where the crossguard goes out perpendicular to the blade then turns at a right angle to run along with it. The "replica" in the Miscellany section of this site is a version based on a Michael Whelan picture. I don't like all the extra layering and "barbs" on the blade near the hilt. Although I don't mind the leaf blade with the sharp angle to the tip. But I definitely don't like the "dragon clawness" of the crossguard. In Whelan's art this is only hinted at by shape, not really in detail. I think Strombringer should be devoid of all recognizable "earthly" elements. This in my mind would retain it's otherwordly nature.

Granted, Stormbringer is a icon type sword. I believe it has been natural for artists to give it a unique style through the years. I just think it should remain somewhat simple to adhere to the idea of being a icon. Push it too much toward a specific design with complicated form and you start to make it too distracting. I believe the importance and character of Stormbringer should be revealed through it's pull on Elric, not it's outlandish design. It's form in the movie should NOT beg for close ups, it should be a force of nature rather than a museum piece longing for artistic appreciation.

Some small adjustments I would make to Gould's vision are, I would make the crossguard and handle black and connected to the blade as if the entire blade was of one material. This would be similar to the emperor's throne being of one giant ruby, or (sorry to mention Tolkien MM) Orthanc being carved from one giant pillar of rock. This quality for me gives the sense of being born into existance, rather than constructed. To this end also, the handle should not be wrapped in leather, but rather be simply of the same material as the rest of the sword.

I have more to say on this subject but I will let others voice their views before presenting more of my own.

Leave a comment:

• Enonimis
    replied
    Originally posted by Guest
    Have you thought about Rufus Sewell? He has the almond eyes, a brooding look, tapering head, high cheek bones, and intense eyes. Check out his picture here: http://www.aboutrufus.com

And, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he is British.
    Noooooooooooooooo! Rufus Sewell gives me the willies!

By the way has anyone suggested James Marsters? He's Spike from Buffy and Angel tv series. I mean seriously MM if you can't tell just by looking at this guy that he's the one for the job (let alone his acting ability and theater career) then you've lost it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/buffy/gall...ke/index.shtml

Can somebody who can photoedit "Elric-inate" this guy and see how it turns out!

~Enon

Leave a comment:

• Malkie
    replied
    Sorry, I didn't respond to Anonymous.
    It will be a long while before we get to the stage of casting ANYONE,
    including extras. I have an idea about that which I'll put to the
    Weitz brothers once we get further along.
    Watch this space
    Dear Mr. Moorcock I'm not quite sure how to go about writing this without sounding dumb so here I go 'Full Dumb Ahead' :lol: . I had wanted to go to New Zealand to be an extra in the LOTR trilogy but missed out. I am not an actor but I roleplay different characters in a live action wargamming club called Darkon. I have also fought in the SCA and done some steel on steel with a group who shows at the Maryland Renaisance Festival. I made my own armor (stainless steel chainmail) which is scheduled to be shown on exhibit in the Baltimore Museum of Art in November. I am currently an extra in a documenary being filmed about our organization, Darkon, due to be released sometime 2005. I have been a fan of yours since I was 9 or 10 starting with the Elric Saga, am 34 now, and will continue to be your fan even if told flat out 'NO'. I realize that technically you cannot accept unsolicited requests unless through an agent and it is probably too soon to even think about such things, but if and when the decision to go forth with the Elric Movie occurs might I dare to wish that you consider me for an extra? I offer myself and what talents I have to you and require no pay, the honor of working for you would be more than enough. Eternally yours, Dwayne

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Perfect Elric Actor

Have you thought about Rufus Sewell? He has the almond eyes, a brooding look, tapering head, high cheek bones, and intense eyes. Check out his picture here: http://www.aboutrufus.com

And, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he is British.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    .... Romantic, self-destructive, Byronic... He's a distinct type and my favourite kind of hero.
    D'Averc's my favourite Hawkmoon character, too.
    Oui, Monsieur - same here, very much so!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Thanks, Berry!!
    I love Dickens. I think you can find Elric in Carton. Romantic, self-destructive, Byronic... He's a distinct type and my favourite kind of hero.
    D'Averc's my favourite Hawkmoon character, too.
    These writers don't last for no reason. They last because they address certain enduring issues with characters we continue to recognise.
    I suspect that what readers find attractive in Elric is what I found attractive in those Gothics I enjoyed when I was a young man.
    Admittedly, none of them are as readable as Dickens, whom I still admire enormously. Ackroyd's DICKENS remains for me the very best book on him, too. Just as Ackroyd's BLAKE is the best biography I know.
    Come to think of it, they're almost at opposite poles as far as public aclaim goes. Dickens sold millions and millions in his day. Blake sold, I believe, two copies...

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Which actor do you feel would best portray Elric in the new

I just noticed that our Elric Movie Poll has 500 votes and in honor of that little achievement I thought I would raise it's profile in this thread so that people reading it can visit the poll and cast their vote.
    [broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-21-2010, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Poetgrrl
    replied
    [quote="Doc"]
    Originally posted by Poetgrrl
    Not that my recommendation wil mean more than MM's but...

I really hope you give King of the City a shot. It's a little more accessible than Mother London (which I also recommend very highly, by the way). It is equal parts fable, social criticism, and multi-layered love story, but more importantly, it's a really great story. I think you'll really love it, esepcially since you connect with Dickens.
    all recommendations are welcome! thank you. *puts ML and KOTC on Christmas list.*

: )

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Seriously, one of the interesting things about reading 'realistic' fiction is how the issues don't change a whole lot and even the language, if lively in the first place, often seems surprisingly modern.. Defoe, Dickens or, say, John Galsworthy, all from different centuries, show that human vices and virtues merely change superficially, as fashion changes.
    I once had to adapt A Christmas Carol in to play form for a youth theatre group, and I was surprised by how little I had to change any of the funny or heart-tugging moments to make them play to a modern audience. Obviously I had to change a couple of things to suit the group's staging and cast (also because of my colossal ego), but I think Dickens would have recognised about 80% of the words. We'd read a couple of his novels at school, and I'd never enjoyed them very much, but Carol is much better than some of the dreadful adaptations (including my own, no doubt) might suggest.

D...

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by Poetgrrl
    Perhaps now that I'm older, I would have an appreciation for Mother London or King of the City... and Jerry Cornelius... 8O (how on earth did she wind up loving Gormenghast, then??)

Wouldn't dream of borrowing from Tolkien. It's kind of done to death by now. *sigh* Nip from Steinbeck or Michener on the other hand... 8)

As far as Dickens... first time I read Tale of Two Cities, I was in the height of the Elric series. I saw Elric in Sydney Carton. Maybe that's reaching, but ... he was his own worst enemy, melancholy, never could get the girl, etc... anyway.... *runs back to library*
    Not that my recommendation wil mean more than MM's but...

I really hope you give King of the City a shot. It's a little more accessible than Mother London (which I also recommend very highly, by the way). It is equal parts fable, social criticism, and multi-layered love story, but more importantly, it's a really great story. I think you'll really love it, esepcially since you connect with Dickens.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X