Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devilchicken
    replied
    Part of the challenge doubtless will be the adaptation. For example, part of the problem I have with the Harry Potter films (as faithful to the books as they are - my wife's influence) is the pacing. Slavishly adapting a book scene for scene does not always make for interesting viewing.

Movies are a much different medium from - and there are more limitations on what you can do. That's why I've always thought that a lot of MM's work would be largely unfilmable without becoming a mess of special effects.

By way of another example there are whole forums dedicated to discussions of Peter Jacksons treatment of Lord of the Rings, with some of the fans up in arms over the artistic licence employed in adapting the story. Whats frustrating to me is that these people cannot understand that you can make some cuts or granted, additions to a work and still do justice to the source material.

That said I am looking forward to seeing an Elric movie. Inevitably there will be comparisons with the books - but I think in order to be truly successful it will require some confident film-making (as we had with Lord of the Rings), a fresh, dynamic directorial approach and an actor who can make the Elric character truly his own.

Personally I'm hoping for an unknown who can use it to showcase his talents and springboard his career - a bit like Al Pacino did in the Godfather (I believe Paramount never wanted Pacino - and it was only by Francis Ford Coppolas insistence that he got the part).

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Elric's face or image has never been fixed in my mind. Furthermore, I find the various interpretations of him fascinating. The most compelling representation of Elric is this image:

Not only does he look like Hendrix cradling a guitar, it depicts a miserable, enslaved and wholly consumed wretch, a doomed prince indeed. A self pitying iconoclast posing at the base of a monolithic chess piece, a rotting pawn on an endless chess board. In all my imaginings, I find myself staring at this image trying my best to memorize it. I haven't seen an actor yet that comes close to this image and I suspect I'll be disappointed by whoever gets the job. Ultimately I'll have to accept that whoever gets the part will be just one more interpretation of a much admired character, adding the kind of depth to Elric that I've come to expect. The prospect of this movie is terribly exciting, but I refuse to believe that all of this boils down to whether or not a moive is a success. While a flop will be disappointing, it will not tarnish the other parts of the material that I have enjoyed. I hope that Elric gets into my list, which includes Brazil, Memento and Blade Runner.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It would seem hard to find anyone that could live up to my expectations. When I try to pinpoint what they are I cannot and when I imagine the Elric in my mind he has not face, not one I can see easily. I will of course be one of the first to see the movie if (when) it becomes a reality but I do not look forward to thereafter seeing the actors face every time I think of Elric. It would seem (to ME anyhow) that the actors build and facial characteristics are as important as the acting itself. Hard waters to tread.
    Thats exactly what I think. To me - the Elric in the pages of the book will always be (for me) different and distinct from the treatment it receives in a movie screenplay. Obviously when we read books its the pictures we create in our heads via the prose which defines our experience of the character.

Its a bit like Lord of the Rings - great movies, good adaptation and great casting. While I did like it, I was never able to get over the fact that the movie was not always true to how I imagined it (Frodo just seemed wrong).

I suspect we will see the same thing here with Elric, but as with Lord of the Rings the fans will have to appreciate the movie on its own merits and not derride it for its failure to match up to their experience of the book.

Leave a comment:

• omgnoway
    replied
    It would seem hard to find anyone that could live up to my expectations. When I try to pinpoint what they are I cannot and when I imagine the Elric in my mind he has not face, not one I can see easily. I will of course be one of the first to see the movie if (when) it becomes a reality but I do not look forward to thereafter seeing the actors face every time I think of Elric. It would seem (to ME anyhow) that the actors build and facial characteristics are as important as the acting itself. Hard waters to tread.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What sort of persona does he portray on the show?

Leave a comment:

• Enonimis
    replied
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/bio..._holloway.html
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/ima...y.html?photo=9
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/ima....html?photo=23
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/ima....html?photo=25
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/ima...y.html?photo=6
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/ima...y.html?photo=7

Josh Holloway, yet another candidate for Elric (methinks)

~Enon

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nah, I've seen up close what the fighters
    that Phil works with can do and it was
    cool to say the least. Axes and swords
    busting shields, the whole time I was
    picturing Law versus Chaos and thought
    maybe he could do something for the Elric
    movie. I believe they use what's called the
    "Jomsvikings" fighting system. You can
    check it out at www.jomsvikings.com - anyway,
    that's enough from me. Thanks eightthson

Leave a comment:

• TheEighthSon
    replied
    So if this association actually happens, should MM and this guy meet, do you get a finder's fee? At the least, if something does come of it, you should get your name on the credits!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    fight director in town

I know a killer fight director who's in town (which is just terrific now that Mike's on vacation!). But he's done a tremendous amount of work training armies and actors in movies. His name is Philip Burthem and his website is http://www.philipburthem.com/ - great British guy with loads of experience. I told him about the Elric movie and he was actually interested in meeting Mike to see if he would be able to help. So anyway, just throwing it out there! BTW - Paul Bettany doesn't look too bad to me in Elric garb.

Leave a comment:

• bob-e-bane
    replied
    Actors

Michael Wincott , Christopher Walken are great. I think they are way too old.
    Arioch was youthful and 'hard to look at' in his chosen form he was so beautiful. much like Gods first angel Satan.
    In 'The Passion of the Christ' Satan was played by an Italian Actress.
    Some of the Elves in LOTR look a little to modelesque but I think look great.
    Even that Matrix guy that plays Elrond is kinda rough lookin to be Elvish.
    I like the idea of having someone fair and pale with tapered features . THere are plenty of actors that have these features and qualities.
    Paul Bettany would be great I for Elric.

Leave a comment:

• Ant
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Ben Kingsley is about the last one who HASN"T appeared in a fantasy/sf movie, as far as I know.
    Well, he's now done Thunderbirds... I bet he's soooo :oops:.

Ant

Leave a comment:

• Great White Wolf
    replied
    Michael Wincott

I remember Michael Wincott vividly in 1492 Conquest of Paradise. He was a nasty character in that movie! I also remember him in the Doors as producer Paul Rothchild.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The Elric Movie

Can anyone tell me who is "Michael Wincott"? Though Paul Bettany would work fine.With Johnny Depp as Yrkoon or Jude Law.Then have two or maybe three differant versions of Lord Arioch.Maybe Jack Ryder in youth form and maybe Tim Roth as an older version.He has a lot of acting range and talent.Though keep in mind;Jude Law is all over the place in movies.With Johnny Depp doing nothing consistent with his talent.What are your opinion?

Leave a comment:

• Enonimis
    replied
    :lol: looks like Elric in Fortress of the Pearl when he's close to death... really looking bad... gads!

~Enon

Leave a comment:

• Ant
    replied
    Photo posted by PsychicWarVeteran in August is Jeremy Irons.

... as the أœber-Morlock from The Time Machine (2002).

See: http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/02686...rons,%20Jeremy

Ant

Leave a comment:

Working...
X