Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Ha, Sweet photoshoppin' skillz!

Mark Dacascos definitely could do it with those cheekbones and the face looks good.

I would like to see those Melniboneans have english accents. I love english actors, they always seem to have an air of dignity about them. Maybe it's because I'm American. Just like British comedy always seems more intellectual, British actors seem to be possess a bit more poise and professionalism.

Ah for all I know they are as empty-headed as the some of the American ones! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Originally posted by DyvimTvar
    Yeah, Rekk. Aquiline was also part of the decription if I remember correctly.

I think that European will be the way the casting goes.

Especially to handle the RADA requirement that you had requested, M.M.

Here's something to look at.

And your welcome to laugh at my photoshop work.

P.S. I wonder how my previous post was repeated?
    HAHAHA. Thats funny!

Leave a comment:

• DyvimTvar
    replied
    I wonder how my previous post was repeated?

Must be that darned Quicktime again.

Leave a comment:

• DyvimTvar
    replied
    Quicktime

Yeah, Rekk. Aquiline was also part of the decription if I remember correctly.

I think that European will be the way the casting goes.

Especially to handle the RADA requirement that you had requested, M.M.

Here's something to look at.

And your welcome to laugh at my photoshop work.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    wow; wouldn't have guessed he was already 40. I like him, though I've always thought of him as a B movie action star. 'Brotherhood' entertained me from start to finish, which is a major accomplishment. I've always pictured Elric as having more European features, however, with a hint of something foreign.

Leave a comment:

• DyvimTvar
    replied
    Quicktime

Yep, you guessed it, Von.

I'm on a Mac platform here, so my experience with Quicktime is probably different than yours.

Quicktime is an Apple product and I guess that's why it plays nice with the Mac machines.

I agree with Rekk's suggestion of Jared Leto, whom I also like, but I wonder if the high cheekbones and almond eyes of the melniboneans will require someone with more of the same features.

Leto certainly has the cheekbones but would someone like Mark Dacascos from "The Brotherhood of the Wolf" look better suited? He can certainly play "dark and brooding" very well.

Check him out here. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001092/

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jared Leto is in the upcoming Alexander movie. I like him alot, but I'm not sure if you'd want to draw an actor out of a soon-to-be mega hit (then again, its Oliver Stone, so I'd say it probably has just as much a chance of being a mega flop) that somewhat coincides in genre (I know, don't lecture me; I'm talking from a mainstream audiences' point of view, Alexander the Great will be every bit as much fantasy as Elric.) Leto plays a major role, being Alexander's life long lover and general, Hephasteus(?).

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yep, I'm pretty much in agreement. I'll look out for the picture, though.

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Oh well, the pic looks kool, but I don't want Quicktime on my machine (to view the trailer). It is like a cancer. Just when you thought you got rid of it - its back again. I just don't like programs that force me to go into my registry to get rid of them completely. Uninstall doesn't uninstall everything.

I love Macs though, just not Quicktime. Oh well. I'll look for the trailer in another form.

Leave a comment:

• DyvimTvar
    replied
    Sky Captain Link

Thanks for the kind response, M.M.

Here's a link to the trailer for "Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow".

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...rldoftomorrow/

Take a look, if you get a chance, and you can see how they are blurring the lines between illustration and realism.

I'm really enjoying the site. That forum on politics was especially fun to read. Whew!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Great idea, Dyvim old pard, but I think Universal have their hearts set on live action. However, the mood of the movie should be dark and suggest the malleability of Law and Chaos. We'll do our best. Need a sense of claustrophobia in some scenes, too, which you can get by not overdoing the natural landscape (a problem I had with LOTR, for instance).

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Originally posted by lawtoned
    Buscemi is a great idea! I will watch any movie with Buscemi in it, as he always "delivers." He is amazingly versatile. Yes! I wish I was the casting director, and I would make it happen. Kudos to you McTalbayne. Mr. MM, please consider this suggestion.
    (Wow, I got excited about that, huh?)
    Well thanks! :)

Leave a comment:

• DyvimTvar
    replied
    Some Thoughts on Cinematic Styling

It's a great pleasure to address your forum Mr. Moorcock.
    Hey Folks.

I'm a fan of Elric from my High School days in the 80's. It's very interesting to hear about progress towards a feature film. At first I thought it was too ambitious to make a live-action feature. (Even in the advent of the terrific success of the LOTR movies) I thought that developing something with animation would be more feasible. I instantly thought of the animation style of Aeon Flux and Reign: The Conqueror as well suited for the lithe and bizarre Melniboneans.

Seeing that a live action feature is probably the goal, I would like to drop a kernel of an idea your way.

There is a new movie coming out this year titled "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". There is something truly groundbreaking in the cinematic style and look of this film which is completely derivative of the posters and industrial designs of the 20's from people like Hugh Ferriss. Everything has muted colors, soft focus and is super-stylized unlike anything in modern filmmaking.

All the shooting was done in front of bluescreen and everything CG'd in afterwards. (Very bottom line friendly)

What I see is a look that is somewhere close to this, where color is not muted but really pushed, bleeding darks and vibrant halos of light that could really suit Elric's world of sword and sorcery. A world swirling with chaos and demonic visions where the line between live action and illustration is kind of blurred. People like Gaultlier and M.M.'s other preferred artists could drive the design within this kind of treatment.

Anyway, it's just a drop in a tidal wave of suggestions that is sure to come.

Leave a comment:

• lawtoned
    replied
    Buscemi is a great idea! I will watch any movie with Buscemi in it, as he always "delivers." He is amazingly versatile. Yes! I wish I was the casting director, and I would make it happen. Kudos to you McTalbayne. Mr. MM, please consider this suggestion.
    (Wow, I got excited about that, huh?)

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Hugh Jackman is too big, and too good looking, and not red-headed enough in my opinion. Ive always pictured moonglum as a short, redheaded, homely guy. Im thinkin maybe Steve Buschemi.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X