Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluekachina
    replied
    Originally posted by krunky
    Blue:
    I'm not holding up Forlani as a great actress, but she's not bad. She actual shows some skill in a really bad movie called 'Anti-Trust.' I think she was also in 'Joe Black' and 'Mallrats.'
    I'm not sure Cymoril has to be a great actress.
    Krunky:
    I hear you on Forlani.
    From a purely physical, aesthetic level she is so close to the picture of Cymoril created by my mind's eye.
    I still have a thing for Scarlett Johansson, it is just a feeling about her.
    Besides she would be a great box office draw while not being enough of a Hollywood icon to make it impossible for me to see her with fresh eyes, if that makes sense.
    I really do believe Cymoril is a more integral part of the story than perhaps even Stormbringer, and the need for severe acting chops will of course be determined by the screen play. Elric's love for her is most of his motivation in this book and the fuel which propells him to make the most important decisions of his life, which in fact sets the stage for most of his destiny.
    Having said that, I believe it would behoove the screen writers to pay close and careful attention towards Cymoril's development, and the state of her relationship with Mr. red eyes, otherwise the audience will find it difficult to empathize with the various tortures and triumphs which occur to these two people in the unfolding of the storys events.
    We know this story, while most of the audience will not and as such the screen play bears the burden of responsibility to convince the audience that Elric loves her to this great extent, which must be realistic and believeable. Moreover, I believe the audience most be supportive of his quest. Remember, he makes some tough decisions and goes to great lengths to save Cymoril,and the consequences of these decisions will haunt him for years to come.
    Also, let us not forget the price Cymoril paid for Elric's philosophical decision to let Yyrkoon live, a decision Cymoril srongly warned Elric against.
    I feel the audience must love her almost as much as Elric does and at the very least possess a strong respect for their relationship to one another.

Just a thought...

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    How about Alanis Morisette?

http://www.maverick.com/alanis/bioFlash.htm

or Hope Davis?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/03052...path_key=Davis, Hope (I)

John Saxon as Dvim Tvar or Magnum Colim (whatever that guy's name is)? He's the man!!!!

http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorsS/P00015385.HTML

How about Andrew Stevens?

http://www.cinemale.com/guests/actor...stName=Stevens

A short clip of Andrew's fine acting skills can be seen here with Harrison Ford...

http://www.timewarptv.com/site/progr...ests/part3.htm
    (I get a lot of acting tips from this site)

Leave a comment:

• krunky
    replied
    Blue:

I'm not holding up Forlani as a great actress, but she's not bad. She actual shows some skill in a really bad movie called 'Anti-Trust.' I think she was also in 'Joe Black' and 'Mallrats.'

I'm not sure Cymoril has to be a great actress. But I am thinking that Forlani is not that expensive probably, and she does look good for the part. 'Joe Black' has a leave-taking scene...

I agree with the distance from LOTR thing too, I just think that no one will particularly remember Parker's role as being that important - and to be honest, a small tie-in could not possibly hurt box office if a point was made that this is far darker than LOTR.

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    I like Forlani for Cymoril! Do not know anything about her or her acting skills, but based on her picture, she is the only suggestion [besides mine] that I agree with in regards to Cymoril.
    Will look into her.

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied
    Wimbledon the movie? Oh dear.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    NO LOTR CAST!

I think Craig Parker should be out simply because he was in LOTR. In my humble opinion, the Elric franchise should distance itself from LOTR. That means NO Orlando Bloom, Liv Tyler, John Rhys-Davies, etc. This is a different story and should be told by different people. With all due respect to Tolkein, I think Elric has far more depth as a character than Frodo Baggins. People shouldn't go to the theater expecting this to be a LOTR clone, because it is certainly not. The cinema has been waiting for a dark, brooding, and conflicted anti-hero like this. I think it will strike a chord with a large audience. The potential for an absolutely kickass dark fantasy film franchise (try saying that 5 times fast) is totally there. It takes major cajones to tackle a project like this, cheers to the weitz brothers for treading new ground. By the way, I was thinking about my dream cast and I think Matthew McCounaghey would be great as Rhakir the red archer. I can just see him in costume firing off arrows with reckless abandon with a cocky smirk on his face.

Leave a comment:

• krunky
    replied
    I cannot stand Lucy Liu - if she is in the movies, that would be a reason for me not to see it. First and foremost, they should pick good actors - all other considerations should go by the boards.

I'm still hugely in favor of a mostly unknown cast - it keeps things cheap and allows them to splurge where it may be necessary. As was done with LOTR, using a few fairly well-known but also excellent actors is also a good strategy - but few is the key word there.

The only suggestion I have made that I will stick with is that Claire Forlani would be good for a Melbonean, and possibly Cymoril. Way earlier in these movie threads I had mentioned Craig Parker as Elric, but I assume some would think of him as having too much chin or something.

Here's Forlani:

Here's Parker:

Leave a comment:

• artikid
    replied
    Regarding Zarozinia,
    maybe it's her name,
    maybe it's her relatives in the southern kingdoms,
    Maybe it's because I'm italian myself :lol:
    But I've always envisioned her as latin, either "spanish" or "italian" looking
    whatever that means

On other roles, I've read in the forum that MM -if he had to chose a role in the movie- would like to play Count Smiorgan Baldhead...
    Please Mr M. DO it!
    Regards to all
    Artikid

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Blue, you hit on why I like much of MM's work. He lets you do some of the work with his brilliant characters. That, to me, makes good characters seem great, and great characters truly memorable. I also think that interesting characters always have interesting stories, but not always vice-versa.

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    Hi Sparhawk,
    Those are some interesting points, I enjoyed your post!
    Feed back if I may, without checking the book-
    In regards to Zarozinia, I feel changing her first impression of Elric would possibly remove some the "feel" of her unique relationship with the albino.
    My impression of the scene you mention, is that Zarozinia knew something about Elric on an instinctual level, which makes the reader wonder what she knows.
    Is it only attraction, trust, intrigue, premonition of her destiny, or all of the above?
    Michael gives us internal dialog when it is essential to propelling the story and I have long suspected he ofen just tells us what happens in order to guide the reader into questioning the characters motivations.
    I have always loved the fact that he never over-uses these tools.
    One of my favorite ways to motivate the audience to pay careful attention to a character is to force them to question said character's motivation, from there it is a short walk to guide the audience to care about the character on some level, good or bad. Spend as much time as needed creating intrigue before dropping truth about the motivation or truth about the character, it is just like real life, we seldom get the skinny on anyone through anything other than their actions and words. All of the time the audience spends thinking about the character is an emotional investment on their part, and before they know it they decide how they feel about what occurs to the character.
    Kind of like making the reader think it is their own idea to care, if that makes sense.
    Or curiosity kills the cat and all of that...
    Claire Danes may be too old...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    must see Troy.

Michael, if you have not yet might i suggest watching the new movie "Troy" and push for Brad Pitt. He might not have some things that fit into Elric's character however his acting skills and charisma (imo) more than make up for it. Just a thought. By the way, i LOVE the Elric Saga and i'm shocked and exited to see the possibility of movie development. :twisted:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I toyed with the idea of Lucy Liu as Zarozinia a while back... the name of her father, Voashoon, and the reference to the "Jade Towers" put me in mind of the orient a bit. I think Claire Danes might make a good Zarozinia or Cymoril.

Zarozinia's debut in Kings In Darkness showcased some bravery and just a hint of combat training. One line when the group is set upon by the orgians refers to her waking up, seeing the bestial forest-dwellers, "not screaming", looking for a weapon, sees none to hand and so remains silent and still.
    She displays courage again when offering to allay the suspicions of the orgians with an alluring dance (orient again so I thought). She exhibits no revulsion at Elric's appearance and is undaunted by his portentous warnings to back off. She is a favourite Moorcockian heroine of mine, not least because Kings was my first exposure to MM.
    And then... her final scene in Stormbringer...
    Will she be able to show off some fighting in the films? Perhaps she'll put her husband-to-be through his paces at one point? I don't think she should, er, warm to him quite so quickly as she does in the books; they're from two different worlds after all her and him. Maybe a love triangle with Yishana would provide some interesting hurdles for the pair.
    Elric would probably be indiscreet with Yishana, fully aware of her shallow feelings for him, partly to deter Zarozinia's burgeoning affections (to protect her and punish himself) before coming round.

Ahem... that's just my opinion anyway...

Yishana, and the Dharijorians (Jharkorians?) in general I always thought of as darker skinned; Halle Berry perhaps?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Paul Bettany

Paul Bettany can be seen in the new (and first...) trailer for the Wimbledon movie :

http://www.wimbledonmovie.com/

He may be a good Elric, sure enough. :)

Leave a comment:

• artikid
    replied
    Dream thief add

Hullo everybody,
    Sorry I'm late in the debate but...
    Have you seen the Dreamthief's Daughter add (The one that goes:"You tell him he's a has been...").
    Don't know who he is, or what MM thinks of it, but in my mind Elric now looks exactly like that model.
    Bye
    Artikid

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Just a guess, Devincutler, but would that opinion be based off of his role in Labyrinth?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X