Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill
    replied
    "I assume your friend was trying to be funny? It's a shame if he doesn't understand why his behavior can be considered offensive."

Oh, he understood the potential to be offensive was there; he was, more than anything, being expeditious (she got the order 100%) and flirty in the way that those who aren't all that smooth can sometimes be. My take was less that she was personally offended at that as much as she identified him as the latest in a long run of assholes that go to McD's after 10:30pm on a Saturday night. I could be wrong.

"It must have been you were in a "hispanic block" eh? Walk half
    a mile down the road and you could end up in a "African-American block"
    or an "Italian block?"

I've never been to NYC yet."

Actually, it was a couple blocks from Grand Central Station, if memory serves. NYC is not for everyone, but it is one of my favorite cities.

As for stereotypes, we, including some of the people here, do this every day without even realizing it or without caring. I am not saying it is always racist, or that there is always a rational offense taken, but we do it every day. Is there a good stereotype? Is the blogger who wrote "Republicans are torturers" any less culpable than, say, someone who thinks Indians wear mocassins?

I don't know; the few times that I have ever gotten on the short end of this type of behavior, my reaction depended more on the context in which it came as opposed to the stereotype itself.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    How about Judith Light?

http://www.hard-to-find-actresses.com/judith.html

http://www.hard-to-find-actresses.co...ics/jud119.jpg

http://www.hard-to-find-actresses.com/misc2.html

because her last name is Light, maybe she should be
    considered for one of the characters who serve Law.

Leave a comment:

• Danisty
    replied
    Yishana, and the Dharijorians (Jharkorians?) in general I always thought of as darker skinned; Halle Berry perhaps?
    Oh God, not Halle Berry! Have you seen the X-Men movies???

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Because I'm interested
    in teaching someday,
    I took a class called
    "Cultural Diversity in the Classroom."
    It satisfies a requirement for
    teachers here.
    Race and racism were common
    topics of discussion.
    I think the class is very useful
    in that it sheds understanding
    on topics not understood by
    some people.
    There's one incidence that stands
    out in my mind...
    We were discussing Native Americans
    and how they are offended by how
    they have been depicted throughout
    history...
    They are offended by how they are seen as
    redmen who wear feathers and moccasins, and dance around in a
    circle going "Waa! Waa! Waa!" a hand going back and forth
    from the mouth.
    There was a WASP lady in a class who didn't understand.
    She said, "So what? What's so offensive about that?"
    The teacher said, "Well, they find it offensive, and so
    that should be respected."
    Then I took the opportunity to say something.
    I said, "Because it is a stereotype. If people said that
    all Filipinos (my heritage) listen to rap music, and like to drag race
    in lowered Acuras, I would find it offensive."
    Then an asian girl said, "Or eat dogs."
    "Yeah. Good example.
    What if people said all middle aged white women..."
    "Hey! Watch it!" a lady interjected, smiling.
    I continued, "what if it was said that all middle aged
    white women love soap operas, and are big Laurence Welk fans?
    It's offensive."

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    No, Bill. I'm not offended.
    I find it offensive when people
    are overtly condescending to
    fast food employees, as though
    they are lowly as slaves.
    There is only one time I can
    recall that though. It's probably
    because most up-turned nose,
    snooty people don't eat at
    those places, if they don't have to.

I assume your friend was trying to
    be funny?
    It's a shame if he doesn't understand
    why his behavior can be considered
    offensive.

It must have been you were in a
    "hispanic block" eh? Walk half
    a mile down the road and you could
    end up in a "African-American block"
    or an "Italian block?"

I've never been to NYC yet.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    A shame your mate passed up a chance to start learning Spanish, since some believe it will be the dominant language of the SW US any moment now. In Texas, for instance, it helps to know a little Spanish. For that matter I've discovered it helps to know a little in Spain, as well! I look forward to the day when we're all bilingual, even if English remains, as I suspect it will, the lingua franca (sorry France) of the world.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Jerico, I don't know if you will think this funny or rude or what, but seeing your quote....

I remember being in New York City for the Big East Tournament, and a friend of mine and I went to McDonald's late night. The menu was in Spanish, but being as it was McDonald's, it wasn't like it was indecipherable. So he strolls up and the lady asks for his order in Spanish.

"Yeah, I'll take a Mac grande, a fries grande, and a coke. Make it a grande too."

She wasn't amused, and I went and hid in the bathroom.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    it was the Weitz brothers who pulled Univeresa out of the hole Joe Black had got them into -- with American Pie! :)
    I believe Univeresa is the Latin American subsidiary of Universal, created in their attempt to be more "universal!"
    I tried to get a job with them one time, but they said I couldn't speak Espanol well enough. I guess sometimes it's bad to say "Si!" when you really mean "No." :roll:
    (like when they ask you, "Piensan, Los Norteamericanos, 'Above the Law,' es una pelicula fantastica?"

------------------------
    Treys rolled taycos cohn guacamohlee, por fayver!

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    "One of the reasons I liked the Weitz brothers is that they reversed the usual college sex comedy dynamics and had the women come out on top all the time."

Is there a pun there, or am I merely a pervert?

"Hello, Finch"
    "Hello, Stifler's mom."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    OMG!!! An Elric movie!!! *faints* I thought this would forever be merely a fantasy of mine.

I've always prefered Mr. Moorcock's work to Tolkien's in that it dispenses with the ridiculous premiss of the forces of good vs. evil. Not that Lord of the Rings isn't a marvelous tale. I just can't take it entierly seriously given such a (in my highly judgmental opinion) childish premiss. What should also make this an even better epic is the fact the Mr. Moorcock is still with us to provide imput into an Elric movie 8)

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Originally posted by bluekachina
    Having said that, I believe it would behoove the screen writers to pay close and careful attention towards Cymoril's development... We know this story, while most of the audience will not and as such the screen play bears the burden of responsibility to convince the audience that Elric loves her to this great extent, which must be realistic and believeable....
    Like in that one movie? um... It's called Above the Law... brb...
    the relationship of the protagonist with his mate is really swell!

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...04/288215.html
    Above the Law
    Roger Ebert wrote (giving it 3 stars!):
    "The movie was co-written and directed by Andrew Davis, whose "Code of Silence" remains the best movie Chuck Norris ever has made and contains the best use of Chicago locations I've seen. "Above the Law" also exploits great locations, from the unexpected (a vast old Catholic church) to the bizarre (there's a struggle to the death on the roof of the Executive House). Davis also seems concerned to create a community around the Seagal character, and so we spend time in well-written scenes with his wife (Sharon Stone), his priest (Joe Greco), his uncle (Jack Wallace) and a tough cop (Joseph Kosala, a real Chicago cop). As in his previous film, Davis gets mileage out of supporting players who do not look or sound like professional actors and so add a level of realism to the action."
    and
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094602/

Clearly, the casting for Elric should be no less convincing as in Above the Law, it's predecessor. The Elric team can really learn a lot from that one!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Um, Univerisa later changed their name to Universal. I wonder if the Elric pictures are supersuccessful they'll change their name to Multiversal ? :)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Don't tell me I'm going to have to watch Joe Black again. I'm afraid I slept throuugh too much of it. Kept waking up thinking it was ending, and it seemed to start up again and again. Coincidentally, it was the Weitz brothers who pulled Univeresa out of the hole Joe Black had got them into -- with American Pie! One of the reasons I liked the Weitz brothers is that they reversed the usual college sex comedy dynamics and had the women come out on top all the time. Even the second movie, which they didn't direct, came out like that (remember the boys
    wanting to see girl-on-girl sex and the girls saying that was great, but first they wanted to see boy-on-boy sex...?). While some people here have bemoaned the fact that the Weitz's are best known for comedy, it was the KIND of comedy they do which made me feel very happy about
    them keeping the kind of gender dynamics (terrible phrase) I wanted to see on screen. The last movie I worked on, by the way, had three very strong female roles. The person I was working with (whom I liked, I should add) sort of agreed and then kept making suggestions for changes which were only there because they weakened their roles. It was at that point I quietly picked up my pad and left...
    Incidentally, I'm toying with the idea of Vanessa Redgrave as Myshella.
    Now there's an actress I've greatly admired on stage. Most of the best acting I've seen, of course, has been on the London stage, and that's not an opportunity we've all had (including me in recent years). It's high time I did another intense season at the National and Royal Shakespeare.
    And I still want Simon Russell Beale in the picture. With Ian M he's
    one of my very favourite actors. :)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I agree, blue. Very good point about Cymoril needing to be substantial. In this version, Yishana gets a larger role, while poor old Smiorgan doesn't appear. I wanted to have two good roles for women at least.
    So the Young Kingdoms will be represented by Yishana. We also have Myshella as an important representation of Law (while Arioch represents Chaos). In a movie it's best to have all the forces personified, otherwise you get involved in too much blather. As with graphic novels, I'm a great believer in using pictures to tell the story as much as possible, with as little explication as possible (though not to the detriment or simplification of the plot and its issues). That means all the main characters have to be very good, powerful actors who can get a lot across through body language as well as dialogue.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Krunky- Great call on Claire Forlani. I agree with Blue. On a purely aesthetic level she has that something, whatever that is....

I remember seeing her in Meet Joe Black, which was a terrible movie, by the way. I couldn't take my eyes off her (but not in the kind of way that would make someone want to wash their hands as they saw me watch her :) )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X