Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if Bloom were a good actor, he'd be a bad choice. If people saw him playing Elric, they might think the film had something to do with LOTR, or was an LOTR rip-off. It's best, I think, to differentiate the films as much as possible.

Comment

Elric Movie

Hi Mike -

what do you think of my idea of James Marsters as Elric?

- Steve A

Comment

Elric Casting

I am sorry, but I cannot see Jack Ryder as Elric. Throughout the entire film I would be having flasbacks.
        As Elric slaughtered people by the bucket load, I would have an imprint of Mr. Ryder yelling "Sonja!" on the front of my eyelids.
        No, I have to say that I would back Johnny Depp, he is a very versatile actor, anybody who has seen From Hell, will testify he can do brooding, though getting him to do an English accent without veering off on a whistle stop tour of the accents of the british isles may be slightly difficult. I must cocnur on the point about Orlando Bloom. He is fine whenportraying a character with two facial expressions, most notably in LOTR:ROTK, he goes from blank to blanker. However, Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean was superb, a revelation maybe, and anythinghe has touched since has turned to gold. He also has the right complexion for Elric and some prosthetic ears and bingo!javascript:emoticon('8)')
        javascript:emoticon('8)')

Comment

Johhny depp is excellent in Fear And loathing, Pirates of the Caribbean.I think he would be a great choice. As Red-arrow says..versatile.

Comment

Hey!
            What about Tom Cruise? NOOOOO.....just kidding! :D I agree with those who thinks Johnny Depp may be a good choice. He can be as "dark" as Elric. I'm also happy to see that Orlando Bloom won't play Elric...This guy is just not enough credible as an actor 8O ...Also, Garry Oldman can play a very good Jagreen Lern :twisted:

Dave

Comment

Hi again!
              another idea....Vladimir Kulich. See him in The 13th Warrior (which is a very ordinary movie...). I remember, when i saw this movie some years ago, at the end, he died on his throne....and i remember me thinking: " This guy could do a very credible Elric". Official website: http://www.vladimirkulich.com/

Ciao!

Comment

Elric Movie

Michael,
                I've never seen Jack Ryder before. I went to his site, and he is very boyish. How old is he? He looks too young to play Elric.
                I think it very important to cast an unkown as the Albino (which I suppose Jack Ryder can qualify). Sure, put any big stars in the supporting roles to appease the studio.
                I think a big name actor as the lead will immediately ruin it for any true fans of your work. Elric is Elric and putting any well known actor in that role will immediately bring up associations with that person's personality, and/ or prior roles, in turn, irrevocably taking away from "the magic" that is Elric.
                I don't know what your opinion of the LOTR movies, but many of the parts were given to lesser-known and unkown actors. I personally think the casting was excellent. Surely you must consider the processes used in making those movies for Elric. All you would need to do is watch the documentaries available on the LOTR dvds; not much effort at all.
                I am not pretending to be an expert, just a very big fan offering my humble opinion.
                sincerely,
                Jerico =)

Comment

Elric Movie title?

possible movie titles?
                  (In order to get away from using words like "White Wolf" and "Black Sword", I suppose you would have to pull something from the central theme of the plot, such that you can have a title like Revenge of the Rose or Fortress of the Pearl)

Elric the Pale Emporer

Bane of the White Emporer

The Black Sword Saga

Tale of the Black Sword

something with "White Wolf"....

Elric the White Wolf

Kingdom of the White Wolf

The White Wolf's Revenge

Comment

Elric Movie cont.

re: Johnny Depp

Depp is a good actor and has a great face, but
                    how tall is he?
                    I believe he is not tall enough to be Elric.
                    Otherwise much of the casting must be done around
                    his height.
                    Plus like what I posted earlier.
                    Please avoid big-name actors as the lead!

Comment

Dear Mr. Moorcock,

Having read the Elric series 20 years ago, I am soooo excited that it is going to the big screen. Do you know the main area where filiming will take place?

P.S. Jeremy Irons looked good as an albino in the time machine... too bad he's not younger.

Thanks,

Anne

Comment

I've at last seen The Knight's Tale, which I greatly enjoyed. Best jousting stuff I've ever seen and the rock music somehow worked (I'm usually very wary of such devices). Someone suggested Peter Bethany, who plays Geoffrey Chaucer in the movie, and I think he's a very likely choice indeed. He seems capable of the right sort of brooding irony I'd expect Ol' Red Eyes to possess. So my own choices so far are Bethany, on his record, and a screen test or two for Jack Ryder (I know what you mean about Sonja -- who seems to bark rather than weep whenever distressed) just to see what he's capable of. There aren't many tall actors, of course. Linda remembers being at a party with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Someone mentioned he was across the room. She looked everywhere and couldn't see him. Then she looked down...
                        Most Hollywood actors are very short, so it's all a matter of comparison.
                        Since the Elric movies wouldn't use any modern sets, these could be built to appropriate scale. Indeed, most of the actors suggested here have been pretty short. At the Willie Nelson concert I heard last week I was astonished that Dennis Kocinich, for whom it was in aid, was actually shorter than Willie and about the same height as the diminutive Bonnie Raitt. Linda was again amazed to see that oneof her favourite singers, Michael MacDonald actually had the bottoms of his jeans rolled up.
                        I have a theory that short people have to try harder and so make better entertainers. Tall actors are often the ones who appear most effortless, such as Cooper and Eastwood. Christopher Lee remarks somewhere that he and Gregory Peck had to have a sword fight in, I think, the Hornblower film. They were both six foot two and had serious trouble fighting on the cramped set of the ship's bridge. The smaller the actors, perhaps, the cheaper the sets ? I'd rather see Johnny Depp as a hobbit, come to think of it... :lol:

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Elric and Moonglum

Yes, I can definitely see Bethany as the actor for Elric. I didn't know who you meant until I read Michael writing about him in the last post. I saw a Knight's tale a while ago and though it mosta musing, I agree with the remark about the music. I still maintain that Robert Carlyle would make an excellent Moonglum, though Robbie Coltrane might as well, I don't know...
                          I think Catherine Zeta Jones could play Cymoril. she has the right lithe grace and she is the most physically beautiful woman in Hollywood today.
                          Would the Elric trilogy culminate in a movie version of Stormbringer? That would eclipse even LOTR if done correctly. The ending in itself... WOW, is all I can say.
                          I'm salivating already...

Comment

I think I would have to agree with Mike's earlier comments that all the actors should be relatively new and unknown. I was pleasantly surprised by many of the actors in the LOTR films, for example Viggo Mortenson (Aragorn), many of which I had never previously seen before and that worked very well for me. Perhaps we should look for young acting talent from the Scandanavian countries and perhaps some from Greece and the Mediterranean? Also since the films are going to be at least a trilogy they should all be fairly young, aging with the characters in the story. As for the shooting location well as a suggestion Canada offers some good landscapes and value for money.

Comment

I tend to favour classically trained (RADA) actors for this kind of movie.
                              They can bring a dignity to roles, in my opinion. Gandalf, for instance!
                              But I also agree they should be young so that they can age with the character. The first movie doesn't have Moonglum in it at all (as the early books don't have him in them) so it will be a while before he's cast.
                              I very much hope the movie does well enough so that we can do Stormbringer -- a field day for morphers!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X