Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc
    Sorry to bust up this discussion, but I have to comment on Dee's subliminal messages.

Josie and the Pussycats--underrated? Really?
    :oops:

Well, I'm not going to argue the point, but I believe the film was a quite cunning satire, and a really rather vicious attack on advertising and celebrity culture. I watched it whilst reading Naomi Klein's No Logo, and I felt the film echoed a lot of what Klein was saying about the co-opting of public (and private) spaces by corporations... not only the space around us, but also the space inside us. As well as being very funny, and having a great soundtrack, I honestly believe that the film had as much to say about our society as Fight Club. Obviously the tone of voice was a lot lighter, but I feel the message was just as cynical.

Of course, I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but there you are.

I only really included it in the post because of a joke about subliminal messages in the film (where the writers sneak in references to their previous film being "underrated").

Sorry. As you were...

D...

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Sorry to bust up this discussion, but I have to comment on Dee's subliminal messages.

Josie and the Pussycats--underrated? Really?

Leave a comment:

• CalvertFan
    replied
    Yeah, Savatage is a good prog/metal band...their stuff seems great from what I've heard, except for that laughably bad video for "Hall of the Mountain King". Haven't heard much of their music though.

Leave a comment:

• Danisty
    replied
    It's hard for me to even make a "wish cast" because I really don't care for young actors at all. I agree that Christopher Walken is the epitome dark coolness and it would be great if he could have a role in the film.

As far as music goes, there is a band, I'm not sure if you guys would know who they are, called Savatage which always reminds me of Elric. They combine an orchestral sound with rock and roll and it blows my mind. Specifically, the song Chance really sort of puts me in an Elric trance everytime I hear it. Members of Savatage are also members of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I don't know if anyone here would be familiar with them?

Leave a comment:

• CalvertFan
    replied
    Couldn't agree more...classical music is like early music...it's from another very specific time and place, the values of which it reflects, and that's its charm. Modern orchestral soundtracks just try to duplicate the sweeping drama of classical music, which I suppose is fine...but if a fantasy film is about another world or dimension, then the music should sound that way too, in my opinion- otherworldly. There is so much great modern music out there that would be appropriate...hell, they could get Brian Eno to do it, he'd be wonderful. Plus you wouldn't have to hire any cellists or timpanists! But then it is a big-budget picture, apparently, so maybe the London Symphony will do the soundtrack. Just keep John Tesh and David Foster away from it!

Leave a comment:

• Starscream
    replied
    Re: Music?

Originally posted by Calvert Fan
    I'm sure someone's asked about this already, but there are 33 pages in this area of the forum and I don't have time to read them all...has Mr. Moorcock stated his musical preferences for the film? Obviously it would be nice to have some (early) Hawkwind in there (We Took the Wrong Step Years Ago or something like that)...I hate big, old-fashioned orchestra scores in sci-fi/fantasy movies. The stuff Popol Vuh did in Herzog's films is beautiful and much more appropriate, and the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis.

Venerable Australian psychedelic group The Church would be my choice...rockin' but atmospheric, and they do instrumentals really well.

Has anyone had any thoughts on this?

Can't wait for the film (s?)
    Ive seen some talk here and there about what type of music to use for the Elric movie. I personally hope they do NOT use classical pieces ...GAH...that will kill it in a new york minute IMO. I love soundtracks and have a nice collection of them and I can think of a few different rock groups and modern soundtrack musicians that could pull off some wicked stuff for the Elric movie. But if I have to listen to some flight of the bumblebees or some other way out of date mess in the background, thats really going to kill the movie IMO. Music is such an important part of my life. I love to write to music and actually sometimes cant write any other way. Ive got hundreds of music CDs but man….I can tolerate Mozart . . . and that’s about it. I can acknowledge and appreciate and respect the classic composers but man..wake me up after the recitals done ok. Most of its naptime to my ears.

Leave a comment:

• Starscream
    replied
    Yes Anne Rice was vehement about Rutger Hauer being Lastat. Lastat. is Rutger Hauer She had Rutger Hauer in mind as she was creating Lastat. My god she FLIPPPED when they cast Tom Cruise as Lastat. OH man . . . but hey, she waited too long before doing the screenplay and by this point Rutger was too old to pull the role off . . .so they cast Cruise and you know . . . he was WICKED. End of discussion. Now I cant picture Lastat as anyone other then Cruise. I think it’s an example of sometimes the actor youd least expect for a role makes the role. Which leads me to a suggestion for Arioch. Thinking outside the box, I believe Tim Curry would be a wicked Arioch. Man I can see that now. Tim Curry could BE Arioch to the max. Interestingly enough he did the voice of Satan in Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and Im sure we all remember him as the Lord of Darkness in Legend.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/C...636/legend.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/C...ll1/ledgd1.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/0000347/HH/0000347/CurryTim.JPG?path=pgallery&path_key=Curry,%20Tim%2 0(I)

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/C...oll1/acad2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/2636/man2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/C...1/tim_cig1.jpg

He might be older now but hes aging gracefully and I think could pull Arioch off well. Besides does Arioch /have/ to be the picture of youth???

Anyway, when I first saw Ladyhawke and saw Etienne I was like O_O OMG. its ELRIC! (I saw someone else too but its not relevant) Sadly, Rutgers too old now to pull the role off :( But man hes got the look, the skill (horse and sword), the total acting ability. Just enough exoticness in various aspects about him . . . what a shame hes not young enough to do it. I can see him as another Melnibonean character though.….Saxif D’aan . . . if that part makes it to script hed be so good as Saxif.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Music?

I'm sure someone's asked about this already, but there are 33 pages in this area of the forum and I don't have time to read them all...has Mr. Moorcock stated his musical preferences for the film? Obviously it would be nice to have some (early) Hawkwind in there (We Took the Wrong Step Years Ago or something like that)...I hate big, old-fashioned orchestra scores in sci-fi/fantasy movies. The stuff Popol Vuh did in Herzog's films is beautiful and much more appropriate, and the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis.

Venerable Australian psychedelic group The Church would be my choice...rockin' but atmospheric, and they do instrumentals really well.

Has anyone had any thoughts on this?

Can't wait for the film (s?)

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    I think I remember reading somewhere (stop me if you've heard this one) that Rutger Hauer was Anne Rice's first choice to play the vampire Lestat in Interview..., but he was a bit too craggy to really convice as an eternally young creature of the night. Shame, because he can be a very good actor... but in most of the films I've seen, he's generally playing a creepy weirdo, which isn't much of a stretch for anyone's talents.

Subliminal persuasion element:

American Pie is very funny!

Lucy Liu is great!

Alicia Witt should call me!

Josie and the Pussycats is highly underrated

Sorry,

D...

Leave a comment:

• Corum
    replied
    Rutger Hauer in Bladerunner was absolutely incredibly superb. I cant praise him enough for it and I would like to see that character in Elric somewhere. I wonder if he is getting too old? Also I dont remember seeing him in other good roles since then. What about Rutger's bladerunner character for Arioch?

I also have a perfect suggestion for Moonglum, Malcom Mcdowell, unfortunately he is also probably too old...

http://us.imdb.com/gallery/ss/033501...ell,%20Malcolm[/url]

Leave a comment:

• M-A_19
    replied
    Krunky wrote:
    I cannot stand Lucy Liu - if she is in the movies, that would be a reason for me not to see it. First and foremost, they should pick good actors - all other considerations should go by the boards.
    you mean like the fact she could kick your bitchin little ass? ;)

Personally I think Liu is a good actor, she's been in bad films of course, but that doesn't make her a bad actor.

I think Liu follows in the tradition of Hong-Kong greats like Moon-Lee (A lady who's honour I would defend with my life) and I think its a shame that there isn't more actresses in holywood like her.

I am sick of watching battles between two sets of warriors who obviously don't know how to fight. It takes more than CGI to turn a bunch of cosseted holywood cuties into warriors. You act with your whole body, not just your face.

Leave a comment:

• MissDreamy
    replied
    I watched 'American Pie' last night again, having not seen it for quite some time - and I was surpised about how much I enjoyed it, because I recall being a bit disappointed when I saw it in the cinema, although I think that was to do with the amount of hype it received when it was released. Well hype from all of my male friends, anyway :lol:

Although it has its laugh out loud moments (mine wasn't the sex bits, or the Father bits, even though they're marvellous too, it was the bit where the Jock put the laxatives in ShitBrick's food and he lets it all go in the Ladies loo - can't beat toilet humour and sound effects) I liked the tender moments too, nicely underplayed, which shows promise for the romance between Elric and Cymoril. So my faith is now cemented for the Weitz brothers.

I'm still in agreement with the number one choice - Paul Bethany. The more I see him, the more convinced I am that he is The Chosen One.

Leave a comment:

• Starscream
    replied
    I have to say this. Its been on my mind for years.

You know who /would/ have made a really good Elric?

Rutger Hauer

Hes just so awesome IMO. Ive watched him in several movies including Ladyhawke. I remember watching that and thinking 'man if they ever did an Elric movie, there he is.' Theres the look, the acting skill, facial expressions, camera presence, just everything. And they would not have had to have done much makeup on him either.

Chistopher Walken I think could have had a chance at Elric or Yyrkoon if he was younger as well IMO. And I just saw Vin on Jay and he struck me as someone who could pull of a Yyrkoon or Thelab Kaarna (spelled from memory..have no clue if I got it LOL).

EDIT Wow I just got through looking on Rutgers website and I had no idea he was that skilled on horseback and sword fighting. Here in his own words: (if his typing grammer seems a bit off, english is not his native language)

http://www.rutgerhauer.org/filmography/ladyh.php

oh well ^_^ just /what could have been/ :P

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "One of the reasons I liked the Weitz brothers is that they reversed the usual college sex comedy dynamics and had the women come out on top all the time. " I suppose in a strange way. :? Anyways, that half naked Guinevere in the upcoming King Arthur movie will be annoying. And I haven't even seen the movie yet :)

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Yes indeed, sir!

(I dislike being called "sir" myself) :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X