Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danisty
    replied
    carnage to the sound of a harpsichord? NO!).
    I think that would be rather amusing!

Admit it, you all know the tune
    OMG! That's so....wrong. I love RHPS! I once re-wrote the lyrics to "Rose Tints My World" from the perspective of Cyclops from X-Men. I can't remember them at all now though.

I suppose one of these days I need to sit down and watch the movie all the way through from start to end but to be honest, all the times Ive tried in the past, it bored me and I wandered off . . . errr
    It's a movie that's best watched with lots and lots of other fans.

Leave a comment:

• Starscream
    replied
    ROFLMAO!!!!! :mrgreen:

>>>

Actually I /think/ I know the tune BUT . . . Im probably the only person in the world whos never sat and watched Rocky Horror Picture show. 8O Yes yes its true. I have a good friend who is your typical RHPS fanatic and Ive heard the music (he has all the albums and stuff) tons of times. I also had a previous roommate who was major into it and its all I heard on the stereo so I think I know the song you parodied. I suppose one of these days I need to sit down and watch the movie all the way through from start to end but to be honest, all the times Ive tried in the past, it bored me and I wandered off . . . errr

Leave a comment:

• M-A_19
    replied
    Originally posted by Starscream
    Thinking outside the box, I believe Tim Curry would be a wicked Arioch. Man I can see that now. Tim Curry could BE Arioch to the max. Interestingly enough he did the voice of Satan in Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and Im sure we all remember him as the Lord of Darkness in Legend.
    and

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    My choice for Dr Jest would be Richard O'Brien (of Dark City and Rocky Horror fame), but that's just me.
    This can only mean one thing:

<Elric and Cymoril (played by Susan Sarandon) enter stage left, dripping wet, enter Arioch (Curry) stage right, music begins>

Arioch-

"How do you do, I
    See you've met my,
    my poorly-pigmented pet.

He's from melnibone',
    and oh, I say!,
    he's the sweetest morsal yet!

I gave him a sword,
    and he dissapeared abroad,
    not even, slightly grateful.

He stormed hells gates,
    and killed all me mates,
    his behavior is,
    just hateful!

I'm just the knight of the swords" <Chorus: "Knight of the swords">
    Duke of hell.
    and Patron-demon as well,
    oh well."

Admit it, you all know the tune ;)

Leave a comment:

• Corum
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    I think I remember reading somewhere (stop me if you've heard this one) that Rutger Hauer was Anne Rice's first choice to play the vampire Lestat in Interview..., but he was a bit too craggy to really convice as an eternally young creature of the night. Shame, because he can be a very good actor... but in most of the films I've seen, he's generally playing a creepy weirdo, which isn't much of a stretch for anyone's talents.
    I agree that the other roles that I have seen him in were somewhat lacking but for that one role in Bladerunner he was absolutely outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• Corum
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Don't tell me I'm going to have to watch Joe Black again. I'm afraid I slept throuugh too much of it. Kept waking up thinking it was ending, and it seemed to start up again and again. Coincidentally, it was the Weitz brothers who pulled Univeresa out of the hole Joe Black had got them into -- with American Pie! One of the reasons I liked the Weitz brothers is that they reversed the usual college sex comedy dynamics and had the women come out on top all the time. Even the second movie, which they didn't direct, came out like that (remember the boys
    wanting to see girl-on-girl sex and the girls saying that was great, but first they wanted to see boy-on-boy sex...?). While some people here have bemoaned the fact that the Weitz's are best known for comedy, it was the KIND of comedy they do which made me feel very happy about
    them keeping the kind of gender dynamics (terrible phrase) I wanted to see on screen. The last movie I worked on, by the way, had three very strong female roles. The person I was working with (whom I liked, I should add) sort of agreed and then kept making suggestions for changes which were only there because they weakened their roles. It was at that point I quietly picked up my pad and left...
    Incidentally, I'm toying with the idea of Vanessa Redgrave as Myshella.
    Now there's an actress I've greatly admired on stage. Most of the best acting I've seen, of course, has been on the London stage, and that's not an opportunity we've all had (including me in recent years). It's high time I did another intense season at the National and Royal Shakespeare.
    And I still want Simon Russell Beale in the picture. With Ian M he's
    one of my very favourite actors. :)

Mike, for the Elric movie you seem to emphasise the gender balance issue more than any other aspect of the film and whilst I agree it is important I suspect there must also be other things that are equally important to the success of the film?

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    About Christopher Walken - I still think the "I tell you this because as an artist I think you'll understand" scene in Annie Hall is one of the best film scenes ever.

Leave a comment:

• Starscream
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob
    Bloody hell! That DOES have Arioch written all over it!
    DOESNT IT!!!!!!!! Here I was going on about Tim Curry and then I saw that picture of Bowie and I was like 8O 8O Been awhile since Ive seen a recent pic of him..WOW. Though I still think Curry could do a really good job as well!! I think Curry and Bowie could each give different aspects of Airoch. Wouldnt it be cool if the two took the role and Arioch morphed between the two something like what bluekachina suggested earlier - depending on the his 'mood'?

I had the liberty of seeing him live at the end of last year. Truly stunning. He'd had the hair cut off (again), but let him grow it again and the likeness is remarkable.
    I've always wanted to see Bowie in concert. I can thank him for my interest in music. I grew up on 'elevator music' and Glen Cambel and blah blah (lord help me) from my mother and her parents and then one day I snuck into the living room (when everone was gone) and turned on the radio. I started looking for stations and caught the latter part of Fame and that was it!!!!!! :D

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    Bloody hell! That DOES have Arioch written all over it! I had the liberty of seeing him live at the end of last year. Truly stunning. He'd had the hair cut off (again), but let him grow it again and the likeness is remarkable.

Leave a comment:

• Starscream
    replied
    Oh I love David Bowie. I love his music, his looks, his acting. That man is just awesome. I just couldnt get his role in Labyrinth out of my head when I made that other post :P

Heres a pic of Bowie in 1999

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/...Bowie,%20David

Thats got Airoch [up to something] written all over it IMO. And since he like NEVER AGES, I cant imagine him looking that different now. And certianly nothing a bit of makeup couldnt cover :P

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    I do love Bowie. In fact, I regard him with absolute respect and want to look that good when I'm nearing 60! Seeing him as Arioch certainly doesn't sound like a bad idea as he is more than capable of portraying that 'likeability' which could compliment Ariochs presence immeasurably.

Quite scary, I reckon!

Leave a comment:

• Starscream
    replied
    Originally posted by bluekachina
    David Bowie is Arioch. Right? Today I story boarded a morph sequence because I think he should be constantly phasing in and out of different identities, {without rythym, very important} with a varience of symbolisim, organic textures, coupled with semi recognizable people from history and his age can fluctuate. {sorry about the run-on sentence} The occurrences of the morphing are to be dominated by his tone of voice, emotion and circumstance and will not occur constantly. Thus the audience will always be wondering when and what will happen next. Sometimes the fluctuations are subtle rather than overt. I am a fan of Salvador Dali and I am not sure he would be able to sleep with this imagery in his mind. Whew! I wish you could see what is in my head. I must paint this and it is all your fault! This is the pleasure and conscience you mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Thats a wicked idea!!

And some comments on David Bowie. I cant get the image of him in Labyrinth out of my head when I think of him as Arioch. Oh yes hes got the look (actually I just saw a ‘new’ pic of Bowie and he does have Arioch written all over him) but my mind keeps going to his role in labyrinth. He just wasnt serious enough IMO in that and I cant get it out of my head trying to picture him beyond the look as Arioch. I have no idea if that makes any sense or not LOL

As for the suggestions for Cymoril. I have no idea or clue. She seemed shallow to me in the books and really didn’t catch my interest to be honest. I know I don’t want to see whats-her-name…the one who butchered Storm in the Xmen movies, do her but that’s about all I can say one way or another about who could be Cymoril.

Leave a comment:

• Etive
    replied
    What about filming locations?

Will Castle Kaneloon from the Earl Aubec story be in the film?

If so I would recommend my house as a location because it is indeed half in chaos.

:D :P

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    As with graphic novels, I'm a great believer in using pictures to tell the story as much as possible, with as little explication as possible (though not to the detriment or simplification of the plot and its issues). That means all the main characters have to be very good, powerful actors who can get a lot across through body language as well as dialogue.
    Thank ya pard.
    Sometimes a picture says it all, doesn't it.
    Get a load of this, all day I have been working and as I accomplish something I am happy with, I reward myself by sketching Elric, Cymoril, Arioch, etc and thinking about casting choices! My God, the possibilities are endless!
    I have some ideas to share with you very quickly, before my guilt sets in over taking this break from work.
    I love Vanessa Redgrave and wanted to share this pic with you, and ask you: How many people can exude this sort of presence via a black and white photo?
    http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/108...ave,%20Vanessa

Please cast her.

David Bowie is Arioch. Right? Today I story boarded a morph sequence because I think he should be constantly phasing in and out of different identities, {without rythym, very important} with a varience of symbolisim, organic textures, coupled with semi recognizable people from history and his age can fluctuate. {sorry about the run-on sentence} The occurrences of the morphing are to be dominated by his tone of voice, emotion and circumstance and will not occur constantly. Thus the audience will always be wondering when and what will happen next. Sometimes the fluctuations are subtle rather than overt. I am a fan of Salvador Dali and I am not sure he would be able to sleep with this imagery in his mind. Whew! I wish you could see what is in my head. I must paint this and it is all your fault! This is the pleasure and conscience you mentioned earlier in this thread.
    I have an exhibit coming up and I will make sure and include one of these and give you credit, if that is cool. Bowie, think about it, okay?
    Simon Russell Beale as Dyvim Tvar?

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=4859

I hate to give you another option for Myshella:
    Lisa Dillon, {Playing Desdemona,Trafalgar Studios; Olivier Awards}-

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co....ontentId=80578

As much as I really do not want to suggest anyone other than Scarlett Johansson for Cymoril {Ballet, Theatre, Olivier Awards}-
    Sarah Wildor

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co....ontentId/73522

Here are some Yishana mug-shots for you to browse-
    Leonor Varela:
    http://www.actressarchives.com/displ...&img=lv052.jpg
    Monica Bellucci:
    http://www.actressarchives.com/displ...g=monica33.jpg
    Maria Grazia Cucinotta:
    http://www.actressarchives.com/displ...=maria8548.jpg

I am going to miss Count Smiorgan, but understand the decision.
    Cast my vote for Rhys-Meyers as Elric.
    Okay like a shot back to work and I am gone!
    Cheers! {is it okay for a southern boy to say cheers if no one hears him?}

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    As far as the music ic concerned...I could see it with some good modern rock, but I actually think that hast he potential to take away from the action on the screen. I'd prefer a predominantly instrumental soundtrack. It doesn't have to be classical, in fact, the sound and mood of classical would be all wrong for Elric (carnage to the sound of a harpsichord? NO!). I would like to see a very good contemporary composer produce a thoroughly moden intstrumental soundtrack. Heavy sustained bass-tones for drama, a heart skipping drup beat for action, and some nice tense highs for beauty.

But that's me. I usually prefer instrumental to lyrical. and when I do listen to music with lyrics, I tend to ignore the words (at least the first could times I hear the song) and just transform them into more sound to add to the layers of music beneith them.

Leave a comment:

• Starscream
    replied
    Originally posted by Danisty
    It's hard for me to even make a "wish cast" because I really don't care for young actors at all. I agree that Christopher Walken is the epitome dark coolness and it would be great if he could have a role in the film.

As far as music goes, there is a band, I'm not sure if you guys would know who they are, called Savatage which always reminds me of Elric. They combine an orchestral sound with rock and roll and it blows my mind. Specifically, the song Chance really sort of puts me in an Elric trance everytime I hear it. Members of Savatage are also members of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I don't know if anyone here would be familiar with them?
    I like Christopher Walken but it wasnt till I saw him with blonde hair in Batman Returns I think it was, that I noticed he could have pulled it off if he was a little younger. I can definately see him as a Melnibonean in the movie. Actually thinking on hauer, walker, and bettney together, the three of them could pull off Melniboneans well. Then theres Vin as Yyrkoon LOL I think he could pull if off well. He could be a physical refelction of some of the darkness that was Yrkoon. Did that make any sense?

And I love Tran-Siberian Orchestra. Carol of the Bells just blows me away. Its the only recording of any xmas song that I can listen to any time of the year. I bought the CD that song was one and I was a bit disappointed in some of the tracks that had vocals though. I think TSO should remain just intrumental. But there are some killer tracks on that CD outside of Carol of the Bells.

I know when I was re-reading the Elric series (that I still have to finish!! I got sidetracked with the Corum series, dreamtheifs daughter (again), what Im working on . . . real life stuff...bah). . . I was also listening to a brand new CD from a new band; Three Days Grace. I rarely buy CDs from new bands based off one song from the radio but I took a chance with this group and WOW. I posted something about them in the music forum but it got wiped when the board crashed and I never put it back up.

Anyway, there is a song on that CD that for some reason reminds me of Elric and Yykoon. Of course I was burning that song in my mind as I was re-reading the first book so who knows:P Its a song called 'Burn'. Just killer. That whole CD has a feel to it that always takes me back to what I read about Melnibone and Elric in the novels. I could hear this group writing and performing some peices just for the Elric movie.

I will close with the lyrics from 'Burn' (and its on my headphones right now playing too :P)

I'll tell you now you can't win this
    (cause) You're way too slow
    I'll tell you now I'm gonna take this
    Did you come to watch me . . .
    Watch me burn?

<>
    I'll let it show that
    I'm not always hiding
    Come all the way down
    And watch me burn
    I won't let it show that
    I'm not always flying