Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    JOHNNY DEPP

Elric just has to be Johnny Depp! I'm sure he could pull it off! Great actor, already known for enlisting in more imaginative projects, and I am sure you both have many shared fans (like me)! I dunno if you are thinking of huge names like that... by the other posts I can see everyone else is turning toward lesser names (who are all great mind you)... but If Johnny Depp hasn't at least passed through your head I guess it has now.
    I am so glad you are trying your best to make sure that this project is done right the first time! I hate it when books get all messed up in the movie versions... lets take Starship Troopers for example (hehe)... came out more like Bill the Galactic Hero (which I love as well - for different reasons - don't get me wrong) than the book it was named after. Harry Harrison shoulda gotten paid something though haha!
    You ROCK! Eternal Champs forever!

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    Did Queen Xiombarg appear in Elric?

Leave a comment:

• cautious_goblin
    replied
    hi mr moorcock.
    i would just like to say i can't wait for a movie.
    i have absolute faith that it will be great.
    my dad used to read the elric books when i was a kid i feel i was very lucky for this:)
    any way about the movie i read somewhere that jonathan rhys myers may be concidered for the part? well anyway i think he would be perfect .
    him in gormanghast or titus he did a great job and can take on the role of characters very well.
    also i took out a bit of artistic licence and created a tattoo of a character out of elric:) let me show the link see if anyone can guess who it is dont forget about the artistic licence part muah thanks for an endless supply of inspiration. sorry its not too clear. http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/v...rent=lady1.jpg
    cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Darren
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    You talking to me ?
    :)
    You talking to me? Are you talking, to me? Well, I don't see anyone else here... :lol:

Is Count Smiorgan going to be your cameo like Scorsese in Taxi Driver? Albeit he is a director, like Hitchcock playing extras. Perhaps it will be a first for a writer? Will you shave off your barnet for the role? Dye your hair? Take acting lessons?

:roll:

PS I don't know if you saw my post as you must whizz through the messageboards and reply to whatever suits your mood titled Transit of Venus and Tilda Swinton. To recap, Tilda Swinton is to play the White Witch in a planned production of Narnia! What do you think of that?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    You talking to me ?
    I can fence and Stormbringer is so beautifully made (Raven Armory) that you could almost fence with it.
    But I'm not exactly bald, either...
    :)

Leave a comment:

• Darren
    replied
    As I keep on reiterating. Until we have a finished script, we won't be showing it to ANY actors, so all rumours heard, are just that (also rumors). :)
    Well, at least we know who will play Count Smiorgan Baldhead of the Purple Towns! Mind you, Mr M. from my recollections he has to do some fighting. Can you wield a cutlass? I suppose you'll have a double.

:roll:

Leave a comment:

• Straasha
    replied
    Pictures of a possible Elric

Well I've read that James Marsters was recommended as an Elric possible so I created some pics. If anyone is interested just tell me how to post them and they'll be online!!

Leave a comment:

• Crusader_of_Melnibone
    replied
    Originally posted by krunky
    I love Sewell! I also refer to him as the actor with the glass eye, because sometimes one of his eyes looks weird. Actually, this slightly unsettling quality with the eye works in his favor as a villain I should think. I find him a very compelling actor.

I dittoed Sewell in my first post on the multiverse:
    [broken link]

So that makes at least three of us that think Sewell should be in this somewhere.

Too bad there is not an easy way to make a list of the many recommendations to date...
    Hope you have me on your list of 'three' cause if I recall correctly I must have been the first to refer to Sewell as Elric! :) Actually, I was really glad to find out that Sewell's name was in a previous poll concerning the role of Elric, in a way I (we) already consider myself as a contributor :P

Anyway, I await the completion of the screenplay by MM, so until then I'll try to remain silent and limit my optimism and enthusiasm!

As for the music, cosider Cliff Martinez's score for Solaris, Julyan's score for Memento & Insomnia and Badalamenti's work in Lynch pictures. I think the Elric Saga movies need this ambient, dark and 'heavy' sound! Of course for the battle sequences I recommend Zimmer's brilliant work (as in Gladiator).

Originally posted by bob-e-bane
    A blend of Horror and epic film making is a must. A new breed with a BIG budget!!!
    Amen to that!

Farewell dreamers and friends!
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 08:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    This first word I'd read about the movie was in Cinescape magazine I think, and they mentioned Jude Law for Elric. I can see it, but I'm betting there's an unknown actor out there waiting to be discovered. Someone in the background waiting for the tall, lanky, pale, brooding part to show up.

As for Moonglum, Seth Green is my first thought. Cymoril, hmmmm, Thora Birch? Yrkoon, could also be Jude Law I think. For Stormbringer just mix some wide-ranging vocals with amp distortion and tweak the freak factor a bit to bend toward sinister.

I'd like to hear a soundtrack on the same scale as Lord of the Rings but opposite on the bright-themed title tracks. Something akin to the soundtrack of Nightbreed, but bigger.

It is alot of fun to imagine. Can't wait to see the first trailers when they hit!

Leave a comment:

• bob-e-bane
    replied
    I just found out a week ago about the making of these films, and I am very excited. I love these books so much. I re-read the books recently and started pencil drawing my own renditions of Elric. I want to have faith in Hollywood and the people involved to pull no punches with the graphic imagery that Mr. Moorcock wrote.
    Mel Gibson got away with some intense ultra-violence in 'The Passion'.
    The whipping scene made my stomach turn. (yay!) Does it take money and a 'big name' to be allowed this sort of content? These films should be controversial and offend the goodies. The books have alot of romance and eloquent epic content to match the blood lust and horror that is not usually found in 'major' hollywood movies. These should not be 'B' movies. A blend of Horror and epic film making is a must. A new breed with a BIG budget!!!

I think Paul Bettany would be PERFECT!, Jude Law, or Jonny Depp would be great. I am not familiar with Jack Ryder. He looks too young. Elric seems to me graceful and catlike, emaciated like a heroin addict, and not a meat head of masculinity. Dare I say 'sexy' in an evil rock star sort of way. Women swoon, and Men want to be him. Fricking Hellblade!! Ferocity, mild grins, cunning, possessed...Intensity!! GGGRRRRRRRRAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Wolfish grins!! Expressive! Lust...and then remorse regret and utter despondancy!
    Please no Vin Deisel. (He is more suited as the Brownman of Laahr from the corum books.)

Here is a list of writers and musicians etc..that inspire my opinions:

Bosch
    Clive Barker
    H.P. Lovecraft
    Amon Tobin
    Mars Volta
    (Please no heavy metal.)
    Antonin Atraud
    The Excorcist
    Rasputina
    Tear Garden
    Barney the Dinasaur....ha ha.
    BAUHAUS_MASK!

I cannot wait!
    Thank you for letting me post!
    MUCH LOVE AND RESPECT TO YOU BIG MIKE!!
    You do indeed RULE!!!
    I grew up with these books. They inspire me as a songwriter/singer/performer endlessly!

Bob-e-bane.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    All Hail Eris . . .

All Hail Eris . . . she is wise in allowing this movie to be made.

Now that I am all caught up I must say it is damned good news. I am astonished at how active MM is on these boards.

Who should be in the movie? Whoever can do the job well . . . but I wonder why Val Kilmer was so quickly dismissed? For some reason I think he could do it . . . but I am an inexpert judge of acting at best.

What should the Music be like? It shouldn't contemporary or Heavy music . . . that usually comes off cheesy (didn't see a knight's tale so . . .) I am thinking a wide array of musics. Imagine the eerie beuaty of the opening scene as the camera pans accoss the Royal court, beauatiful and bizarre harmonies informing the dance of courtiers . . . First shot of Elric on the Ruby Throne then slow pan to the gallery of screaming slaves who each scream a single perfect note and the demented conductors who bring forth these sounds . . . that seems an excellent establishing shot . . but I know little of such things.
    Different music styles for diferent places around the young kingdoms . . . lets go for some scope and vision.

The visuals and the atmosphere will make this one of the best hullucenigen movies ever, but not for the feint of heart or weak of spirit.

If it's a good movie I'll see it a dozen times at least. . .

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    As I keep on reiterating. Until we have a finished script, we won't be showing it to ANY actors, so all rumours heard, are just that (also rumors). :)
    I know, but it's fun to dream... not that I often have dreams involving Paul Williams... or talking swords for that matter.

Still, it might be wise to string him along until the production kicks in to gear. Perhaps we can inform him that he is the "Honorary Voice of Strombringer"... meaning that we all promise to imagine the blade singing his back catalogue whenever we read the books?

No? Spoilsports.

D...

"So you wanna be a boxer, in the golden ring..."

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    Since you mentioned Ian McKellen, I think he'd be great in any role you put him in. (Great site at www.mckellen.com - which I bet your daughter is well aware of, Michael).

Still looking for tall skinny albino. Does bleach work?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    I'm glad you think highly of him Dee.
    I think I have solved the mystery!
    Detective Jer does it again!

This older lady (age 52) who is a
    big Paul Williams fan told me that
    he is to be the voice of the sword.

That's the problem. She's a huge Williams
    fan. The information she got came from a
    web site. Upon looking at it, I see that it
    is facetious satire, speculating on the casting
    and production. Her love for them man
    blinds her from the obvious satire. Poor lady.
    I won't bust her bubble though. ;)

here it is...
    http://www.bossythecow.com/QOW022803.html

["bossy the cow?" C'mon! The B.S. detector goes off already!]

"Oscar Winner (tm) Halle Berry (tm) as Stormbringer (tm)!

Faithful companion Moonglum portrayed by Robin Williams. "Elric, you are a
    fashion dis-AS-ter! What is this, white-on-white-on-WHITE season? I don't
    think so! Come on over here! And bring that AWFULLY BIG sword with you!"

Stormbringer voiced by Paul Williams (the only actor both small and evil enough to be believable in the role).

Elric played by Djimon Hounsou.
    [He's like the opposite of albino. Wasn't he the black gladiator in Gladiator?]

Stormbringer, the soul-eating demon-sword, voiced by sass-talking John Leguizamo. "

Leave a comment:

Working...
X