Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jules
    replied
    You have to see him in Gangster No.1 - he can definitely do 'tortured'. (Actually thinking of that film he can also do torture). But I think that really shows he has the range to do Elric.

Leave a comment:

• MissDreamy
    replied
    Oh god, I remember Lexx - still got the videos... used to fancy the pants off Michael McManus, still wouldn't kick him out of the bedroom... er, yes, well... :oops: The series rapidly went downhill after the first, although I kept watching it because Kai was by far the most interesting character (of course!) A good suggestion, though I think he'll be a bit too old now as well.

I'm bumping up the Paul Bethany casting - saw the trailer for 'Wimbledon' the other day and boy, he's got to be the right man.

Leave a comment:

• flutegirlrockz
    replied
    Elric Movie

I've just thought of an actor who might fit the bill for the part of Elric, Michael McManus who played Kai in the excellent cult SciFi show Lexx. Here is a link to the Lexx fan club http://www.lexxfanclub.org/ I think Lexx is on the SciFii chanel in the states . Here is character bio of Kai who bears some similarities to Elric. Kai, Last of the Brunnen-G
    Last of a race of romantic dreamers, Kai was killed by His Shadow 2,000 years ago during a futile attempt to defend his planet against His Shadow's forces. The planet was destroyed and Kai's body was taken and turned into a mindless assassin. When the heretics took over the Lexx, Kai was chosen to hunt them down, but unfortunately for His Shadow, Kai regained the memory of his former life and realised that His Shadow was a Bad Thing. He joined the crew of the Lexx by default really, having nothing better to do at the time.
    Kai has completely come to terms with the fact that he's dead, and therefore has no personal agenda. He sees to it that the crew come to no harm, and has a very well developed sense of duty and justice. Of course this doesn't always work to the crew's advantage, especially if they're trying to get away with something that Kai doesn't think they should be allowed to get away with. Being dead, his body is in constant danger of degenerating, and to this end he sleeps in a cryopod when not needed, to preserve his supply of "Protoblood", the substance which keeps him "alive". Kai has no motivation, no real emotions, and can be frustratingly obtuse sometimes, all of which conspire against Xev when she's trying to get him into bed. He does however have an endearing habit of going completely mad at the most inopportune moments.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Fingers crossed!

Mr. Moorcock,
    I am really excited to hear this. I just pray they make Elric the deep character he deserves to be. It will take someone that convey heart renching sorrow with a look as well as grace and strength while moving. Not to mention they will need a certain body type to make them believeable. Elric was my first real literary love. I hope they do you justice.
    If they pull it off, I will have another movie to put next to Master and Commander! I thought that was a pretty decent adaptation. Plus they managed to show the friendship between two men well. It would have been easy for them to drop it, but Patrick O'Brien would have rolled in his grave. Good luck! Thank you for all your works! They have brought us all hours of enjoyment and increased the size of the world by expanding our perceptions.

Leave a comment:

• jbarr
    replied
    <obligatory apology>
    I have not read this entire thread, but...
    </obligatory apology>

Mr. Moorcock,

I have a couple questions about the Elric movie:

Do you plan to have the movie actually follow the Elric book series or will it simply be the Elric character in some "new" story? Obviously, the notion of turning (at least) the six Elric books into a movie is very ambitious, but would certainly be an incredible story. Even more ambitious would be to work Elric into the larger Eternal Champion multiverse with all the other "incarnations".

Anyway, I'll start from the beginnign of this thread and work my way through...

Oh, and if contracts and such require you to answer simply "You'll see!" that's OK...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Elric Movie

Ok I'm new to these boards and I'm only 13 pages into this thread so maybe this question has been asked before but I was wondering Mike if your concerned that maybe if this movie is a great sucsess that you may find a new level of fame similair to what Tolkin experenced in his lifetime.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    weitz brothers

Hi MM,

Just wondering...

How did yourself and the weitz brothers collaborate for the script, given they are from a comedy background (american pie, etc.):?:

Leave a comment:

• cautious_goblin
    replied
    meep

Originally posted by allinfantasy
    4. Elric cast suggestion:
    I can see the actor who played Haldir of Lorien in LOTR. He was the elfiest of all elfes. Or, if it was not just a filler.... One might check the Fellowship of the ring. Watch the scene where they enter Lothlorien and meet the elfes. There is one guy to the left of Haldir. Very tall, very skinny, very pale. If it was a real actor. He'd be an ideal candidate I think.
    i know the guy you talk of and my sister and myself were watching lotr the other day and commented on him being an elric as well

also the ages were wrong on lotr but it was bound to happen no movies that come from novels are spot on ... all i know is if lotr was more like the book it would of been long boring and people would of fallen asleep :)
    thats why you have to love MM he is the champion at keeping you interested jrr could not do that. great story but thats all did i mention it was boring :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Everydayislikesunday
    replied
    When we say investment. To do it justice it will require a lot. Look at the difference between the D&D movie and Lord of The Rings.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Welcome back, Alexa.

Leave a comment:

• Alexa
    replied
    Originally posted by Crusader_of_Melnibone
    Originally posted by krunky
    I love Sewell! I also refer to him as the actor with the glass eye, because sometimes one of his eyes looks weird. Actually, this slightly unsettling quality with the eye works in his favor as a villain I should think. I find him a very compelling actor.

I dittoed Sewell in my first post on the multiverse:
    [broken link]

So that makes at least three of us that think Sewell should be in this somewhere.

Too bad there is not an easy way to make a list of the many recommendations to date...
    Hope you have me on your list of 'three' cause if I recall correctly I must have been the first to refer to Sewell as Elric! :) Actually, I was really glad to find out that Sewell's name was in a previous poll concerning the role of Elric, in a way I (we) already consider myself as a contributor :P

Farewell dreamers and friends!
    Think that makes at least 7 or 8 of us saying that Sewell should be in this movie... I can portrait him as Yyrkoon better than Elric, though...
    Johnny Depp could also do a great Elric, too. A friend suggested me that Will Kemp would be a perfect Elric (yupe, she hates reading, but I made her read my 8 books of Elric), but I'm not very sure of his acting talent or anything.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Up front,
    I apologize if this has been covered already, but I did not read more than 3 pages of this huge thread.

1. It's thrilling to wait for the Elric movies.

2. The cast:
    I really tend to favor unknown actors as much as possible. I would definately avoid actors with strong relationship to other movie characters.

I was completely thrown off for awhile at LOTR.
    It created a bump at the first few appearances of Lord Elrond. All I had in mind... Where are the sunglasses? Matrix' Agent Smith is an intense charater, and the Matrix movies are too fresh.
    Quite similar was Saruman. Somehow I could not get Dracula out of my mind. With that said - I do not believe into Johnny Depp at all. He's a "girly man". Who needs that for a character like Elric?
    I'd love to see a real albino actor. Someone with the appearance of a younger Johnny Winter (if anyone knows that guitar player).

Which leads me to the next point.

3. The age of the cast.
    Besides a few minor flaws, the LOTR trilogy has one HUGE weakness. It's the cast's age. Who knows the books a bit better, knows that. Just about the whole cast was much too young. Frodo was 50 years old, when he left the shire. Bilbo left at his age of 111 years. He had t he ring for 60 years, which stopped him from aging. He was excellent chosen. But compared to him, why did they chose a 19 years old actor for Frodo, and also too young actors for the other hobbits? Aragorn was too young as well. Viggo was great, but just about 10 years too young. Aragorn was a 87 years old man. Slow aging. But still had to have an appearance of a late 30ish man.

4. Elric cast suggestion:
    I can see the actor who played Haldir of Lorien in LOTR. He was the elfiest of all elfes. Or, if it was not just a filler.... One might check the Fellowship of the ring. Watch the scene where they enter Lothlorien and meet the elfes. There is one guy to the left of Haldir. Very tall, very skinny, very pale. If it was a real actor. He'd be an ideal candidate I think.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Dear Michael

I have been a fan for years and I am very excited by the possibility of my all time favorite fantasy character coming to the silver screen. I did think that Jeremy Irons looked very much how I pictured Elric in The Time Machine, that was until he turned around. However I agree with you that he is too old to take on the role. I was however very impressed with Paul Bettany in his role in Master and Commander as the ships doctor. I know he has been mentioned many times in this forum as a favorite choice and he has my vote.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For some reason, I only vaguely remember that. Maybe it's time to re-read!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Xiombarg did indeed appear in Elric: she made her presence known in the final battle sequence of Stormbringer, Elric had a sort of aerial dragonback joust with her which I believe resulted in her subsequent banishment from the Young Kingdoms.

Unusually the Chaos Lord was touted as a male posing as a female in her introduction.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X