Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miqque
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Big difference between beautiful anime and Bakshi's crude rotoscoping.
    That and the fact I didn't like Bakshi stopped that project coming off!
    I would still consider doing Corum, say, as anime.
    I heard Bakshi had every bit as much fun dealing with the studio suits as you did with, say, the Burroughs film. Something about cutting the budget and enforcing a finished-by date. What I disliked was the changes to the story. And the Rotoscoping gave me a headache!
    :?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think one should not forget to consider Edward Furlong for Elric's part. He is bankable (T2), still young enough and not mainstream at all. Check this: www.edward-furlong.com/photos/ef35.jpg

Originally posted by Anonymous
    Itآ´s so great that there will be an Elric movie.

I was just wondering which actors were
    suggested by you all, for playing Elric,
    so I looked them up in this thread and listed them more or less in the order they were mentioned:

By the way, my favorites for the role of Elric are:
    James Marsters (Man, those cheekbones! and he can act, did a lot of theater, and his favorite Shakespeare character that he played on stage is Macbeth)
    www.jamesmarsters.com

or

Jonathan Rhys Meyers (beautiful and scary, and very good as Steerpike in Gormenghast, best scene is where Steerpike takes of his mask and looks extremely creepy in one moment and so innocent in the next)
    www.jrmfansite.org

Jack Ryder
    Paul Bettany
    Orlando Bloom
    Davey Havok
    Johnny Depp
    James Marsters
    Vladimir Kulich
    Brad Pitt
    Willem Dafoe
    Jeremy Irons
    Jude Law
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers
    Rufus Sewell
    Craig Parker
    Vin Diesel
    Michael Rosenbaum
    Jared Leto
    Christopher Ecclestone
    Sean Bean
    Clive Owens
    Nigel Harmen
    Guy Pearce
    Michael Wincott
    Marc Dacascos
    Damien Lewis
    Julian Sands
    Stuart Townsend
    Ewan Mcgregor
    Joaquin Phoenix
    Ralph Fiennes
    Crispin Glover
    Nigel Harman
    Edward Norton
    Tom Paplyn
    Rhys Ifans
    Mackenzie Crook
    Eric Stolz
    David Bowie
    Rutger Hauer
    Christopher Walken
    Will Kemp
    Michael McManus

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by acroman56
    I would like to ask anyone who feels like answering if there is definitely going to be a movie or if it is still not much more than speculation yet. I apologize if this has been answered before but at 38 pages long 8O I didn't really want to read all of this post. Thanks.
    I don't blame you.

Welcome to the forum!!

As far as we know, the film is still very much in the script stages, and even the script hasn't been hammered out as yet. Mr M is involved and very keen to see it get the green light... he's also very confident about the progress that's being made, but obviously he has no control over the whims of the studio if they decide to pass on it. The film is still a long way from being cast, let alone shot. We live in hope, but with the current interest in sword-slinging at the cinema now is probably the best time for such a project to get off the launch pad, as it were.

Hope that helps.

D...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi all, this is my first post ever here! I have read all of the Elric books at least 5 or 6 times each and have always wished that a movie could be made and since the success of the LOTR films I had hoped that maybe an Elric may visit the silver screen, its this that got me searching on the internet to try and find some rumours and it brought me here. I would like to ask anyone who feels like answering if there is definitely going to be a movie or if it is still not much more than speculation yet.

I apologize if this has been answered before but at 38 pages long 8O I didn't really want to read all of this post. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Itآ´s so great that there will be an Elric movie.

I was just wondering which actors were
    suggested by you all, for playing Elric,
    so I looked them up in this thread and listed them more or less in the order they were mentioned:

By the way, my favorites for the role of Elric are:
    James Marsters (Man, those cheekbones! and he can act, did a lot of theater, and his favorite Shakespeare character that he played on stage is Macbeth)
    www.jamesmarsters.com

or

Jonathan Rhys Meyers (beautiful and scary, and very good as Steerpike in Gormenghast, best scene is where Steerpike takes of his mask and looks extremely creepy in one moment and so innocent in the next)
    www.jrmfansite.org

Jack Ryder
    Paul Bettany
    Orlando Bloom
    Davey Havok
    Johnny Depp
    James Marsters
    Vladimir Kulich
    Brad Pitt
    Willem Dafoe
    Jeremy Irons
    Jude Law
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers
    Rufus Sewell
    Craig Parker
    Vin Diesel
    Michael Rosenbaum
    Jared Leto
    Christopher Ecclestone
    Sean Bean
    Clive Owens
    Nigel Harmen
    Guy Pearce
    Michael Wincott
    Marc Dacascos
    Damien Lewis
    Julian Sands
    Stuart Townsend
    Ewan Mcgregor
    Joaquin Phoenix
    Ralph Fiennes
    Crispin Glover
    Nigel Harman
    Edward Norton
    Tom Paplyn
    Rhys Ifans
    Mackenzie Crook
    Eric Stolz
    David Bowie
    Rutger Hauer
    Christopher Walken
    Will Kemp
    Michael McManus

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by btears
    Can Johnny Walker act? If so, he'd be perfect for Elric - NO MAKEUP NECESSARY.
    Err, that should have read Johnny Winter, not Walker. Johnny Walker? Obviously I have been drinking too much!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Can Johnny Walker act? If so, he'd be perfect for Elric - NO MAKEUP NECESSARY.

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    Hi Michael,
    Good to see your avatar again! I would love to see an animated Corum feature. I have always considered rotoscoped animation to be something of a contradiction of terms. I much prefer drawn animation. Tracing photographs is not animation, much personality is lost in the process. One of the best examples of the use of rotoscoping must be "Flight of the Osirius" from that Matrix DVD, mainly because they achieved an almost photographic reality.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Big difference between beautiful anime and Bakshi's crude rotoscoping.
    That and the fact I didn't like Bakshi stopped that project coming off!
    I would still consider doing Corum, say, as anime.

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    I cannot wait for that. Master Shirow rules.

Leave a comment:

• Jerico
    replied
    There's gonna be a Ghost in the Shell 2
    titled "Innocence"

www.landmarketheaters.com

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    Originally posted by Rackhir
    Hello Rakir,Mr Moorcock was approached to do an animated Elric movie by the guys who did Fire&Ice.He thought the art was lacking and turned them down.
    I assume you are discussing the work of Ralph Bakshi minus the talents of Frank Frazetta {art director of Fire & Ice} because I personally cannot imagine Frank doing a bad job on Elric. Unless it would be the mistake Whelan made of making Elric too muscular. Although I doubt Frank would have made such a mistake.
    It is a sad thing that he is too ill to work now and we will see little more from such a powerful visual storyteller.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    Thanks, son. All suggestions gratefully received. Does he, like my own favourite for the moment Jack Ryder, have a site of his own ?
    I must admit, I just don't think Jack Ryder has either the acting talent or the gravitas to pull off Elric. Sorry. I absolutely hated his acting in Eastenders.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello Rakir,Mr Moorcock was approached to do an animated Elric movie by the guys who did Fire&Ice.He thought the art was lacking and turned them down.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    animated vs live action

Mr. Moorcock,
    Although I would love to see Elric done in live action I was
    thinking it might be easier to match your vision of this awsome (but dark) adventure as an animated feature with celebrity voice overs.Have you seen Fire and Ice? The story does not begin to match the Enternal Champion stories but the art was wonderful for the time it came out 1983?
    Please retain Elrics moody nature as you have mentioned. many of us related to your books as teens in the 80s' because he wasn't goody goody or perfect.
    thanks, hope to hear more info soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X