Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I saw it and sadly decided he wasn't a good enough actor. Some great looking bits in it but dreadful, dreadful dialogue, eh ? Some of the foreign actors knew English so poorly, and had no one to coach them, that they were making some genuinely funny pronounciation guffs.
    Shame.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    (>> ELRIC <<)

Okay, I didn't feel like reading through all the posts so could someone tell me if anyone knows the name of the guy from that movie called "Vlad the Impaler"? I thought it had potential and that the actor wasn't half that bad. Plus he's not well known which I think is a huge factor. If I see someone where 5 other movies pop up in my head i'm gonna curse! Please MM don't get anyone big. I'm begging you. A lot of the big actors aren't as hungry as some nobody Joe Schmoe. Any ideas on a director yet? I really love Luc Besson, but don't think he was forged for this epic film. Hhhmmm? A few names come up but nothing sticks. Oh well, I guess thats where you come in MM- the decision maker hehehahah. Better you then anyone! Love ya!

~Through out time we put on masks and invest ourselves apart from one. In the end when we give up and all has come undone. We'll see so clear and hear so sharp. We'll forget all but know eternal. For it does not matter resist or surrender. I am there now, then, May, and December. So read on to the next chapter. Explore, seek, destroy, or suffer, for all of these is fine by me. Straight-faced demon and evil-eyed angel must meet to duel. It's the battle of form and will forge a great tool. It will unlock all, and open the gates. It will be the end and start of the race!~

Leave a comment:

• Wizard
    replied
    Michael, may I hope that you will play one of roles? It would be great!
    :!: :!:
    Just wanna see-you-in-action)))

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    Heh, Thank God for the HMFIC. Heh. Yeah. That is why we all know we will have one fine movie in store for us. Because, really, if it were left to most others, I know it would be shite. But Mike don't shiv. So to speak.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Good point Mike cause your right those two films did flop, but I don t think it was due to the movies themself but I think it was due to the advertising and throwing out all these high promotions with resteraunts (Van Helsing) and such giving the movie audience higher expections than what they would actually see in the theater. What Universial should do is go back to the days of making previews like that of jaws where they keep people in suspence so they will be "Huh this Elric Movie looks pretty cool I wonder what it is actually about."

That being said this project won' t be a easy task and the Weitz bro's got to watch out on how they not only promote the movie but how they can keep in good standings with Universal so that not only can they rake in the doe but Universal can make a profit as well.

As for the director lets be honest we got Mike and the two bro's aboard hell they could have a kid from high school direct this movie and it will still be good. Come on guys think about it these Weitz bro's have been making movies for sometime now and I am almost positive they will not make a stink even if it means that they both produce and direct. Lets face it this movie is coming out at a time when the competition will be fierce and alot of big name actors will be coming out with new stuff. Sometimes its better to take your chances with 3 of a kind than to shoot for a flush. As that country song goes you need to know when to hold them and know when to fold em.

Mike we are behind ya because we know your the HMFIC in military terms "The Head Mother Fucker in Charge"

Semper Fi buddy and get that new Elric book done already so I can go out and buy it :lol:

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    Heh. No kidding. Still, with Michael's work, I find it is best to stick closely to what he has to say and let the imagination run wild from there and into the areas not specifically covered. Considering we are discussing corporate Hollywood with it's capital H, I believe it is best to consider the source. Clarity cannot be such a bad thing after all if you see what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• Trikazul
    replied
    Originally posted by Jagged
    Originally posted by Trikazul
    Who should direct Elric?
    Cronenberg!
    Good choice. I think he would be even better than Fincher

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by bluekachina
    Right, of course, except Michael describes it as a broad sword. That is my main reason for doing away with the idea of the spade sword tip.
    That's a good point Blue. I'm all in favour of artistic licence, but on screen it helps if the little details make as much sense as possible so they don't detract from the "magic". You don't want everyone worrying about the scabbard when you've spent thousands (millions?) of dollars making the sword bleed black mist.

D...

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    Right, of course, except Michael describes it as a broad sword. That is my main reason for doing away with the idea of the spade sword tip. Shake, rattle and roll man.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jagged
    Who should direct Elric?
    Cronenberg!
    Good thinking! Elric could meet a Mugwump in a tavern and tell it he felt ambivalent about his destiny... and then they could chase each other in chariots, each one trying to rear-end the other... then Elric could find Stormbringer hidden inside a dog's coat and suck Christopher Eccelston's soul. Green-light here we come!!

As for the sword, I once figured out that it a sword is wider near the tip than the hilt, you could still have a scabbard, but it would have to be as wide as the widest part of the blade... so how do you stop it rattling around? Well, you make sure there are two prongs either side of the hilt pointing towards the tip of the blade, and two corresponding prong-shaped holes in the scabbard. So, as long as you make sure that the prongs dock, then you're in clover.

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure Stormbringer is going to shake, rattle and roll whatever scabbard it's placed in!

D...

Leave a comment:

• bluekachina
    replied
    I agree with Morphine. Seems to me, Stormbringer should be a broad sword. On the subject of "the black radiance", I think it would work as photographing an object [the shape of the sword], on fire, and simply reverse the tonal values to negative black and white. Then superimpose over the final photography. Just an idea, works in my mind.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I read somewhere on here that the Raven Armoury's Stormbringer will most likely be used in the film(s). But looking at it, I see it as not being very functional. It tapers down toward the hilt so that it's significantly wider near the tip. How do you draw a weapon like that from a scabbard? Or how do you even make a scabbard for that? If the scabbard were shaped the same as the sword, you'd never be able to sheath it. If the scabbard was the width of the widest part of the blade, it would always be flopping side to side near the hilt and it would also look cheesy. I like the basic design of the Raven Armory replica, but I think for the movie it should be given a straight blade with the only taper being that of the very tip like on any other sword. It's kind of a trivial matter when you look at how huge of a project this is and how it's still in its infancy, but I think it's a valid point nonetheless. While on the subject of Stormbringer, I was watching X-MEN 2 and saw a special effect they used that I think would look good for Stormbringer. Whenever Nightcrawler teleports a black swirling mist is left behind for a moment. This is best seen in the opening sequence in the white house. It is precisely the way I mentally pictured the black radiance that sometimes surrounds Stormbringer in the books. Very ominous and I think it would be a great effect to illustrate Stormbringer's evil sentience.

Leave a comment:

• Jagged
    replied
    Who should direct Elric?
    Cronenberg!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Everything's still on schedule -- but scripts take time in the writing.
    My guess would be that Universal are not fast-tracking the project as much as they were thanks to the relative failures of Riddick and
    Van Helsing at the box office. No point in arguing that they were crap and this won't be. It's their millions and so they have to be careful how they are spent. Crap films often make money. Fine films often don't.
    So it's unrealistic to talk about quality when indeed type might well have something to do with that equation.
    That said, we've had some great talks and are all still on the same page!
    Smiorgan ? OK, I'll do it.
    Oh, I forgot. He's not in the movie version. Sorry, but in streamlining this for a potential trilogy some characters have had to double up.
    Some will simply have to hope their immortality comes in book form.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    by the way I do get ahead of myself when I post and do as us jar heads tend to do forget how to spell

its Rackhir not Rhackir and Theleb K'aarana not whatever it was I spelled out so as they say "my bad"

P.S Mr Moorcock this does not open a inventation to get" even" for what I said about your avatar in the past. :D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X