Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc
    replied
    Maybe you're the only one brave enough to admit to seeing Peter Pan, Dee.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    "They're break-dance fighting!"

Not a bad idea... well, I'd certainly go to see it anyway. I can't really imagine Stormbringer motivating Owen Wilson's Elric to do much killing though. He'd just want to sit around and talk about what bark is made from.

But yes, I love Anderson's films, and the Stiller/Wilson team-ups (I even like Cable Guy, which isn't everyone's favourite). They make a great team.

For some reason my vote for director is going to be... P J Hogan!! Probably best known for Muriel's Wedding, but I thought his version of Peter Pan was pretty impressive. He knows how to handle FX without letting them overwhelm the emotional dynamics, and he was also sensitive to the darker (or more dubious) elements of the story, so hopefully he'd be able to do the same with Elric's subtext. Of course that was a "PG" film, but there's a fair amount of violence and darkness in there if you care to look for it.

No? Just me then.

D...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If any of you fans are online fantasy roleplaying game fans out there, there is a game Lineage 2 where you can actually weild Stormbringer.

Anyways I m still going to stick with what I said Earlier, we got Big MM and the Weitz bros at the helm of this project. We don t need a big name director because come on Mike or the two bros will not let this movie go down the toilet. So I say have some faith and for petes sake.

Leave a comment:

• mickey
    replied
    PS. Mickey, is that a Rushmore quote?

Yes it is a Rushmore quote. Fan of the movie? I got an idea, we could have Wes Anderson direct Elric. Owen Wilson can play Elric and Ben Stiller can play Moonglum. Have you seen Zoolander, the part where Stiller was jumping around like a monkey? I see a little Moonglum in him there. What do you think? lol ha ha ha!

Leave a comment:

• Michael of Melnibone
    replied
    Nik Turner should definatly get a part one way or another. I'm sure he'd love to prance around in a funky costume waving a sword around hacking and slashing. Not to mention pilaging the women and raping the lands as he went. 8O :lol:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I can't think of her name but has anyone suggested the director of Titus?

~mE

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jagged
    Awwwm come on! I'm sure Cronenberg could do better than that.
    I was just having a chuckle... in actual fact I'm quite a fan of Cronenberg, but I find that I usually hate his films the first time I see them... then a few days later there will be some images that I can't get out of my head, and they'll annoy me so much I'll have to watch the whole film all over again... and that second time I usually quite enjoy it!! But that's not really the sort of thing I would expect from an Elric movie. By all means find a director who can infect the viewer's brain, but I think the studio will be hoping for a more immediate thumbs-up from the Friday night crowd.

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head though.

D...

PS. Mickey, is that a Rushmore quote?

Leave a comment:

• mickey
    replied
    Will the movie be rated R? What kind of music will be in it? I hope it's a mix of some metal, classical, and some like dark kind of holy music. That's the stuff that comes to mind for me. Have you thought much about it MM? I also wonder how much it really needs. I think there should be a good deal of sound effects and no overdoing the music.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So Mike, besides trying to get this movie put together what other projects might we see on your list for up and coming events this year?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Kiss of Death Cronenberg, eh ?
    Not my first choice.
    Nearer my last.
    I can't stand his movies.
    Well, maybe The Fly was okay.

Leave a comment:

• Jagged
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    Originally posted by Jagged
    Originally posted by Trikazul
    Who should direct Elric?
    Cronenberg!
    Good thinking! Elric could meet a Mugwump in a tavern and tell it he felt ambivalent about his destiny... and then they could chase each other in chariots, each one trying to rear-end the other... then Elric could find Stormbringer hidden inside a dog's coat and suck Christopher Eccelston's soul. Green-light here we come!!
    Awwwm come on! I'm sure Cronenberg could do better than that. As a matter of fact, I wasn't too pleased with his rendering of NAKED LUNCH, for examaple. But his early movies, such as RAPID and THE BROOD show that he's clearly a master when he's got a grip of his material. SPIDER ought to show that he hasn't lost that grip.

The Elric movie should have danger in them, and I'm sure Cronenberg can provide that. They also should have some sensitivity to insanity, morality on the fringe, and emotional dilemmas. and.... omg, I hope nobody 'round here'll say Spielberg or Jackson.

Leave a comment:

• Michael of Melnibone
    replied
    I thought the Chronicle of Riddick was quite good. So it was a bit of a flop in the US?
    I eagerly await any news regarding the movie. That Paul Bettany (did I spell it right) the picture I saw further back compared to the desktop picture - it doesn't take alot of imagination to see how well and easily he could become Elric.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I may have gotten two movies mixed up. I think what movie I meant to mention was Dracula: Dark Prince, not Vlad the Impaler. I believe a chap by the name Martin Rudolph played Vlad. I haven't seen any of his other work yet. Director of that movie was Joe Chapelle, another new name to me. I'll try to do some research on it if I get around to it. I'm a big fan of vampire movies, but rarely impressed. I don't know what inside me likes them so much, but in some I way I can relate. Bringing this stuff up MM because I think you would write the best one ever if you ever had an interest. Books don't have to be better then movies, someone out there just wants to control our imagination by putting out rubbish. It's been proven that something like 90% of our thought patterns are repetitive. So in actualality if we are not being introduced or staying open to new ideas, stories, and experiences, we are are reliving through the same thoughts as before. This can lead to a stunt of our imagination, not to mention our creativity. It saddens me to think about it. I've recognized this pattern in myself and have to admit that it did come as a shock. Maybe that's where I can relate to Dracula. :twisted: I vant to suck your blood! :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• Miqque
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    That said, we've had some great talks and are all still on the same page!
    Smiorgan ? OK, I'll do it.
    I have hair clippers.
    And motivation.
    And a very twisted sense of humor.

heh.

Thanks for the update, MM. I'm thinking perhaps a line like "Now, which one of my films did not make money? Out of the ones I was happy with, that is." might help. After all, is there a film based on your work or with which you were involved that you are totally pleased? That's the benchmark. Movie-making is gambling, no doubt about it. All you can do is make the wager as attractive as possible.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sort of like me and my ability to speel 8O doh spell :twisted:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X