Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Oldman doing Harry Potter?

i was rather referring to Dracula...

Comment

• I know, i was being Sarcastic. :lol:

Comment

• Brasil is one of my favorite movies. The parts that struck me as very familiar about our lives was the scene at the restaurant. Ordering the food from a beautiful picture on a menu and receiving a fancy bowl of goop. "You have to order by the number!" The bomb explosion and the mothers trying to negotiate a liason. That movie makes me crazy!

By the way, did you see The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen(sp?) and The Fisher King? I didn't like The Fisher King the first time I saw it. But years later I saw it again and enjoyed it. Those are Gilliam's too.
        yea Brasil is one of the best movies ever. for obscure reasons, i havenآ´t seen much of Gilliamsآ´other works yet. 12 Monkeys i didnآ´t like very much, and saw only pieces of Fisher King, never the whole movie. Mأ¼nchausen i didnآ´t see.

as already metioned, especially the swordfight in Lowryآ´s dream has a great fantasy feel, which would be great to see in the Elric film as well, atmosphere-wise.

Comment

• Elric Movie

Mr Moorcock, first I must say that it is an honor to have comunication with you, and that is great that one of the great ones of fantasy, has this kind of comunication and involvemnt with his fans, now to my coment did you had the chance to see The Time Machine? Jeremy Irons loocked so much like Elric in that movie to me, that I tougth that that seeing him in make up, they sould have decided to make an Elric movie instead of that lame one, thet was the only thing I liked about the movie and because he reminded me of Elric.

Other good actors could be Jude Law or Tim Roth, defineitly a British actor I hope, well thanks for having this forum

so long, see you in the Time Stream

Comment

• Elric Movie

Mr Moorcock, first I must say that it is an honor to have comunication with you, and that is great that one of the great ones of fantasy, has this kind of comunication and involvemnt with his fans, now to my coment did you had the chance to see The Time Machine? Jeremy Irons loocked so much like Elric in that movie to me, that I tougth that that seeing him in make up, they sould have decided to make an Elric movie instead of that lame one, thet was the only thing I liked about the movie and because he reminded me of Elric.

Other good actors could be Jude Law or Tim Roth, defineitly a British actor I hope, well thanks for having this forum

Comment

• Jeremy Irons is a bit too old now. But Jude Law's looking good at the moment. I loved Munchausen. I love pretty much all Gilliam's movies, but Munchausen is a particular favourite, though it didn't do too well with the public, I understand.
              Thanks for your kind remarks, pard.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• lead role in film

I looked at the elric drawings on savoy books and two things struck me. Firstly that Christopher Ecclesstone (british actor) would be a fantastic choice, he is very similar to the craford drawing. I went to school with him, he was as introspective and moody as Elric when he was 11. Always sure he was destined for something beyond the life on the dole we faced.
                He has the stature, acting skills and deep deep personality to pull this off.
                OK, not a big box office draw but......
                Secondly, Michael's fetish for Jack Walker has always tickled me. My brain tells me "he should know" yet it baffled me. I hate Eastenders characters and Jack was no exception. Yet a chill went down my spine when I saw the picture and my faith restored in Michael's sanity. So, I for one, say go get Jack, (high heel shoes and a body double as well) but if he isn't able to do it, please check Ecclestone out.

"BY NARJAHN'S DROPPINGS he's cold." A beggar.

I laughed for over 3 hours on a very good LSD upon reading that (bad drug, keep away) some years back. He He.

Comment

• Re: Elric Movie

Originally posted by Saint Chaos

LOL! Saint I posted the same thing regarding Jeremy Irons in another thread.

I reallt enjoyed Gilliam's movies including Fear & Lothing in Las Vegas. His movies often have very subtle (ok some not so subtle) messages. Time Bandits, Manchaisen and Fisher King are also aong my favorites.

Comment

• Hi all, I am very happy to hear that a film version of these wonderful books is in the works. If you don't mind my two cents, I'd like to throw a few ideas into the ring.
                    For Director I'd love to see intrested to see what someone like Scott could do with the material...I'm thinking back to one of his early films like "The Duellists". As an off the wall suggestion (although his last three films were awful...I know, not much of an endorsment...) I'd be very intrested to see what someone like John Woo could do in terms of style, mood, tone...before the public stoning begins, please see "The Killer", in my opionion, one of the best films of last century....plus, you'll note I used the qualifier "off the wall".
                    For the role of Elric I was thinking of either Sean Bean or Clive Owen. Both are good, solid, journeyman actors, chock full 'o brooding and angst...lol.
                    Anyway, just my thoughts for today.

Comment

• forgot to mention Time bandits, which was the first Gilliam movie i saw.

this is maybe thhe closest possible connection to the idea of the Multiverse of all his work, what do you think?

Comment

• Design work for the sets and costumes must be by Rodney Matthews.
                        His book covers, posters and calendars based on MM's works have always been the best (IMHO).

Comment

• How about costume design by J.P. Gaultier?
                          When they had advanced together to meet on common
                          ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                          and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                          each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                          mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                          killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

• Female Lead- Lucy Liu!

If Queen Yishana is going to be the leading lady in the Elric movie, perhaps she should be played by Lucy Liu.

Think about it, Lucy already knows how to use a sword and will add realism, shes fast, kick ass, good looking and also a big name.

I think Liu is a good idea because she is no longer confined to just Kung-fu movies and she plays good strong characters.

Cymoril ------> Bjork (it would work, you know it)

I'll second David Bowie as Sadric, and my vote's with Jonathan Rhys
                            Meyers for Elric, he was great in Gormenghast (and he looks like my bloke).

Bring on the J.P. Gaultier, 5th Element stuff was great!

Lydia.

Comment

• Yes, I've already said how much I like Gaultier's work.
                              I'm presuming that the Weitz brothers will direct. They have had a wide experience and, don't forget, have been reading these books since THEY were kids -- just as Jackson had read Tolkien. I think that counts for a lot and I'm very pleased with their ideas so far.
                              I don't know Lucy Liu but she sounds interesting.
                              Glad you like the look of Jack Ryder, pard. As I've said elsewhere, I haven't had a chance to see his range, so don't know if he could play Elric, but suspect the studio might want a bigger name.
                              Ultimately, while I'll have a say in the selection, it will be up to them.
                              They, after all, are risking a lot of their money on this!
                              But I trust the Weitz brothers to get the best actors available.
                              We've almost run out of titled British actors, of course. About all that's left is Ben Kingsley, a particular favourite of mine. He could play Smiorgan Baldhead, maybe ? Would be nice to have Maggie Smith as one of the pantheon of the Higher Worlds!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• i think a actor by the name of jared leto could play elric. he's awesome in the movie requim for a dream. he's also been in panic room and had a small part in fight club. i'm sure he's been in more but off the top of my head i can't name them. he is a really good actor though and is willing to go through some transformation for the roles. he lost 30 pounds to play a heroin addict in req. for a dream. he's also got some looks to go with the acting chops, hollywood loves that. the best part is he's got some weight under his belt but he's loke viggo in lotr, not everyone knows him so he won't distract from the story. pass this actor to the wietz brothers mr. moorcock, i promise you'll like him.

p.s. mr. moorcock, you are the man.

Comment

Working...
                                X