Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie (Thread part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskers
    replied
    This thread continues here: [link expired]
    Last edited by Reinart der Fuchs; 04-04-2010, 08:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Athenys
    replied
    Ah, Moebius :) ...now there's an excellent conceptual artist if ever I saw one. Ranks right up there in that particular genre along with Gimenez, Ledroit and Alberti:

http://www.juangimenez.com/

http://lalunenoire.dargaud.com/html/Album.html

http://www.pavesio.com/scheda_autore...ario%20Alberti

I think he would be very well qualified to do visual design work for the Elric film...I also heard about Sin City, Rodriguez and his unusual hands on work ethic, it takes guts to do what he did. Screw the stuffy Director's Guild and it's cliques I say :roll: . In that regard he would also be a great director for MM to consider working with...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Moebius is a great guy and I admire his work a lot. I like him a lot, too!
    I certainly wouldn't mind working with him.
    It needs someone who isn't soaked in genre, as I've said elsewhere.
    Someone who would come to the movie without preconceptions about what a fantasy film 'should' look like.

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    Re: pan tang

Originally posted by Anonymous
    what do you think about H.R.Giger for doing all Pant Tang design ?
    Personally, as much as I love the art of Giger, my personal recommendation for art/conceptual design would be my favorite artist, Jean Giraud aka Moebius. Probably the most recent film he did design work for was The Fifth Element, though he has worked on other movies such as Dune and Tron. I actually think his art from the old Heavy Metal magazine was what eventually got me into MM's material. I'm sure I read the Airtight Garage before I read MM's Jerry Cornelius stories.

The following are links to site with samples of his work:

Moebius Home Page

Mobius Gallery

Images par Jean Giraud

from Bruno Bellamy site

Page on Lambiek.net

and another Moebius page

Leave a comment:

• Athenys
    replied
    What do you guys think of the other two actresses I mentioned? Both have the right features and can actually ACT as well ...

Leave a comment:

• Kalessin
    replied
    As with Velasquez, I think that Hayek is just a little too aggressively sexy to make a good Cymoril. Ricci is much too chubby-cheeked! Also, remember that Hayek almost certainly doesn't come cheap!

Aishwarya sounds like a pretty good suggestion, and Letranger's suggestion of Bjork also looks like one worth considering.

Leave a comment:

• Athenys
    replied
    Ok, some more Cymoril suggestions just for fun. Both have background in the Theatre in addition to film. Their names are Mariana Seoane and Susana Gonzalez:

[broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    pan tang

what do you think about H.R.Giger for doing all Pant Tang design ?

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    Originally posted by Athenys
    Speaking of which Aishwarya is also an Architect!
    Well there you go! Get Rodriguez directing these movies, and he'll not only have her playing Cymoril in front of the camera, but he'll get her drafting blueprints for set design as well! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Athenys
    replied
    i don't know how she would do a "conventional" part but she does look more, erm, alert than patricia vasquez...
    Erm...I agree that Aishwarya has far more acting experience and that is of utmost importance, however on a personal note Patricia Velasquez is both a Civil Engineer and an Accountant by profession, this was before she made it in acting and modeling so I wouldn't append the label 'dumb' to her as I would most actresses/models who never even cut their teeth academically (even in non-technical fields) so to speak :roll:...Speaking of which Aishwarya is also an Architect! Kudos to these women for getting a higher education first :D . As for Salma Hayek, she acts well enough
    and her features are more delicate....it's going to be a tough call.

Leave a comment:

• Krimson
    replied
    [quote="DeeCrowSeer"]
    Originally posted by Kommando
    Also, he'll probably end up cooking for everyone! from the various little features that appear on all of his DVDs, Rodriguez seems like the most enthusiastic and sweetest guy you could ever wish to have helming a film. I suppose it depends what sort of Elric movie you're after... I imagine his version would be heavier on action and comedy than tragedy and despair. Then again, we haven't seen Sin City yet, so it's not fair to judge how he'd handle pre-existing worlds and characters.
    He also lives in Texas, so I would think if MM wanted to talk to him, RR is the kind of fellow who would make a trip. One of the things that impressed me recently was the fact that RR was so adamant about Frank Miller being co-director, that he quit the Director's Guild.

RR also likes to have input on his project from cast and crew. And if you've followed his work, sometimes cast IS crew. If someone doesn't feel comfortable or has a different idea, RR encourages input. Also, his filming style is very relaxed as well. He always keeps the camera rolling, since its all digital anyways. He feels that if you eliminate the "action" and "cut" from the filming, that you create a more relaxed mood. which gives a more spontaneous performance from the actors. Besides, he does all his own editing anyways, so its all good.

Working with MM would likely be similar to his collaboration with Miller. He would likely want MM to be co-directing, and since he films everything in digital MM would be able to see instantly how a scene has been shot. This is why Spy Kids 3 and Mariachi 3 were filmed relatively quickly.

Also, I think that RR has a directing style which is compatible with MM's story telling style. For one, I recall MM mentioning with reference to the RPGs that setting is not so important as the story and the tone. I don't think its an accident that the manifestation of chaos is called "The Great Mood". Basically, MM does not spend a lot of time going into the details of the locale that a story takes place in, unless such details are relevent to the plot. For the most part he write to let your imagination fill in a lot of details. Can anyone describe in detail the bridge of one of Bastable's airships or what a Skef'la looks like?

In the same way, RR is story driven. He will use existing locales or just shoot in front of Green Screen. Very little money in his movies are spent on sets. And why bother when you can make the set in CGI, or make a partial set and fill in the rest? Sure, that town they built in Lord of the Rings looks fantastic (the one on the hill for the third movie), but I honestly can't see spending millions of dollars to build a set which will only be used for a few scenes. Plus building sets take time, much more time than building and texturing CG models. Basically, less time spent on building elaborate sets means more time and more money free for making movies that tell a story.

I think efficiency is one of the things I really like about RR. If he shoots Elric, then in 5 years you could have 2 or three movies. Can you tell he's my favorite director?

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    But I'll join Deecrowseer in the Hayek-staring while you guys think this one over ...

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    And what about the absolute outlandish face and enigmatic Bjأ¶rk from Iceland. She delivered some remarkable acting under Lars von Trier (Denmark) in "Breaking the waves" and "Dancer in the Dark", very powerful.
    Awarded "Best European Actress 2000" ... and she's mad enough!
    [broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kommando
    Of course, this brings me to the thought that Robert Rodriguez would be able to do wonders with a movie like this, quickly and under budget. Plus he does his own camera and editing work, and probably has more hands on experience with digital camera work than any other director.
    Also, he'll probably end up cooking for everyone! from the various little features that appear on all of his DVDs, Rodriguez seems like the most enthusiastic and sweetest guy you could ever wish to have helming a film. I suppose it depends what sort of Elric movie you're after... I imagine his version would be heavier on action and comedy than tragedy and despair. Then again, we haven't seen Sin City yet, so it's not fair to judge how he'd handle pre-existing worlds and characters.

I'm also a Hayek fan... I'm not sure if I can picture her in that particular role, but that's just because I'd rather see her throwing knives around and generally dealing out the punishment. Still, the link L'E put up gave me an excuse to go and stare at her photos, so I'm glad the subject arose.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Just for good measure I say SALMA HAYEK! again.
    And act she can, maybe you missed "Frida". Some times it also depends on the directing, you know, if the acting's blunt or superb.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X