Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie (Thread part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    I'm not sure you have to 'like' a character to enjoy that character. The dominant figures of most horror series are not, after all, people you'd want to share a hotel bedroom with. Neither was Dirty Harry or most of the characters played by Clint Eastwood. The list is endless. The answer is -- it depends how you play it. Richard III for instance has remained one of the most popular of Shakespeare's plays and neither he, nor Macbeth, for instance, are exactly cuddly or cute.
    Just had to add, Jack Nicholsons character in the Shining. Still one of my all time favorites. Just a very well done movie.

Comment

• And there were also the noir detectives, including Spade and Marlowe, who were not exactly sentimentalists. Mitchum and Widmark didn't make their reputations playing guys in big white hats, as I recall. And James Spader, even unto Boston Law, seems to be best when mocking certain family values. And King Kong, for that matter, was mourned at the end of the movie. You need the right actor, for a start, and the right context and that's what we're working on. After all, Elric is largely at odds with his own people, so we shan't exactly be endorsing all that stuff, even if we're not wagging our fingers at it, either.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• curious not sarcastic

I think this doesn't fit into this topic [anymore] - but I'm sooo eager to know ... the folowing questions seem [which means they are not intended to be 8) ] sarcastic - but the idea behind this request is my sincere desأ­re for knowledge - so Mister M, you proposed

Paul Bettany as Elric
        Aishwarya Rai as Cymoril

As Paul Bettany shows typical features of the "nordic face" - in how far would he correspond to the melnibonean look - [catlike eyes]???

I know that make up artists can cause Cameron Diaz's acne to vanish ;-) - and so on ... but does Elric look like Paul Bettany - or is he the nex best thing you can imagine???

PS: Aishwarya Rai is an Indian >>> I like this idea, coz it makes it easier for me to visualize an examplary dweller of the bright emire :-D
        Although it sounds paradoxical - Paul Bettany would be a great Elric

PPS: Excuse me for trying to bring some rationality in my mental image of your magnificent craft and life work - but through receiving answers to these replys - I feel capable of finding a more authentic impression of elric's world :oops:

Comment

Thought we might as well have Ursula K. Le Guin speak for herself!

Earthsea in Clorox
          by Ursula K. Le Guin

....That was a blow. But I had just seen Mr Halmi's miniseries Dreamkeeper with its stunning Native American cast, so I said to them in a phone conversation, hey, maybe Mr Halmi will cast some of those great actors in Earthsea! -- Oh, no, I was told -- Mr Halmi had found those people impossible to work with.

"Well," I said, "you do realise that almost everybody in Earthsea is 'those people,' or anyhow not white?",,,,.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Wow
          \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
          Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

• Ideally, I wouldn't mind populating the Dreaming City with people of a whole rainbow range of skin colours, yet all having 'typical' Melnibonean looks otherwise. I don't think anyone's really done that before. That is, why should we define a people by its skin colour ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Ideally, I wouldn't mind populating the Dreaming City with people of a whole rainbow range of skin colours, yet all having 'typical' Melnibonean looks otherwise. I don't think anyone's really done that before. That is, why should we define a people by its skin colour ?
              Great idea. I mean - its a huge contradiction that a person can look at a cat and still call it a cat regardless of what colour or breed it is. Seems a little odd that at the same time there are still people out there who insist on judging human beings by the shallowest of physical characteristics.
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

• Hot Cat

that could be cool, if they had the same kind of body construction, the bone structure all alike... it really is a great idea, though it can generate a lot of misunderstanding about "lineage" in the non readers. i guess. Maybe... ah, maybe im just sleepy. but i like the idea.

Comment

• Misunderstanding

:D funny - how communication works - or how it doesn't work - you never mediate the facts only - there is always something emotional - or at least, people try to find something in one's comment, smth the emitter didn't want to say :-)

I would never dare judging human beings by their skin color - coz i know what's like being an alien .. ^^

So - one thing I wanted to know was - how do melniboneans really look like? - this one was more or less - answered.

As I allready said - Bettany >>> Great Elric, but it's difficult for me to find his melnibonean features

The other reasyon - why i wrote this statement was this thing 'bout converting books into movies - and although the LOTR is a fantastic MOVIE - I do not reagard peter jackson's work as a good interpretation.

He drained the whole magic out of middle earth - it deals with issues like us politics and environmental distruction/protection - i'm not quite sure if if J.R.`s craft deserves this kind of interpretaion - & after all - it was all bout the shiny shine blinky blink $$$$$$$

So - what is the idea behind the picturization of stormbringer???

I can imagine the movie raching a broad mass - males and females equally - for the girls - he is the ideal man - strong but weak, emotional but cruel - girls want boys with weaknesses - they hope they can turn them into better men - and he is a real bad boy ... )-)

and the "strong gender" ( :-D ) find him cool, seeing him fighting til the last drop - being ruthless and slaughtering his foes ... :-)

Is there any movie - one can compare the screening of ST with???

The concept with various colors in Imrryr is also great - i can imagine some kind of different shapes but all bearing this strange feature of catlike eyes - hey - i mean melnibone is chaotic - if all looked the same - chaos would turn away from the isle ... hmmm ... i hope they didn't allready - did they ... :(

by the way - do you know APHEX TWIN's video called WiNDOWLICKER???

Comment

Ideally, I wouldn't mind populating the Dreaming City with people of a whole rainbow range of skin colours, yet all having 'typical' Melnibonean looks otherwis
                    e. I don't think anyone's really done that before. That is, why should we define a people by its skin colour ?
                    that's just great! I think it would be cool to oppose this to the various ethnies of "mere humans" being exaggeratedly segregative and "ethnically pure". Crossbreeding could be a characteristic of the melniboneans' highest level of civilization....

Comment

• erm, i meant "higher" level.
                      meant to be logged in, too :?

Comment

• For some reason I'm reminded of the original Planet of the Apes movie. There was an attempt to create a multi-ethnic ape society - a shame that the film-makers saddled each race of ape into a particular social caste - all chimps are scientists, all gorillas are soldiers etc.

Agree it will be intruguing to see a society where being Melnibonean comes first before superficial characteristics such as skin colour etc.
                        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

• Fan of Elric as well as Hawkmoon, my impatience to see Elric on a movie screen is bigger than a Tolkien fan waiting for LOTR movies. I can't remember well if someone was talking about David BOWIE as Arioch in a later topic, but it was a great idea i think. I juste hope the movies will be at the books level, even with the changes made for the adaptation.
                          Maybe after Elric success, Hawkmoon will come to :D .

(sorry for the awful english of a poor french fan )

Paul BETTANY could look like this as Elric.

[broken link]

Thank you Mr MOORCOCK for make me feel your stories.

(sorry i think i made a mistake and don't post my message at the good place the first time :oops: )
                          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:11 AM.

Comment

• My, my...

Justin from the Darkness' reclusive brother?

Comment

• That pic doesn't look like Elric? How come?

I think Jean Claude Van Damme is looking for work
                              \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                              Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Working...
                              X