Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie (Thread part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's always one isn't there???
    Always one that jumps ahead of everything else onto a certain '~'-ism bandwagon without engaging the brain!
    Why is that, I wonder? Why is the first reaction "Oh, that could be taken as racist!"
    Yes, if read one way it might be considered racist, but on the other hand it might not be!!!
    In fact, the chance of it being considered racist, especially considering the location and the type of people who frequent these forums, would be very low indeed!
    Consider the use of the word 'regular' in the quote in question...
    Why assume that the word was applied to the Asian aspect and not to the albino aspect? The last I checked, the norm (the regular) was in not being affected by albinism (to the degree being discussed).
    Yet racism's the first thing through your head.
    Unresolved personal issues, perhaps?
    Is someone here not being quite honest with ones'self as to one's personal views?
    Or perhaps you just wanted to come across as being that little bit 'better' than the 'regular' person by making sure everyone here knew that you'd spotted it? By making sure that everyone sees that you're sensetive to such things? By seeming so much more 'socially responsible' for the twenty first century?

Either way, the term JERK seems so very appropriate! I can think of so many more words of a similar length that would fit a lot better, though, based solely on the posts I've seen here.

Sorry to rant, but this type of pseudo-politically correct bullshit really winds me up to no end!

Rant over.

You may continue at your leisure.

Comment

No prob Adlerian ^_^...

If all of the actors look unusal then the audience will know that these people aren't exactly human.
      Which brings us back to the problem of casting people who would look the part. Then there's a whole lot of Melniboneans; Elric, Cymoril, Dyvim Tvar, Slorm, Saxif D'An, Sadric, Yyrkoon, Dr. Jest, Carlak, Gratyesha...they have to use CG ... Finding ONE actor that looks properly Melnibonean is hard enough!

Either way, the term JERK seems so very appropriate! I can think of so many more words of a similar length that would fit a lot better, though, based solely on the posts I've seen here.
      [broken link]
      Jerk is masculine, I am a woman. Perhaps you shall come up with an even more flattering epithet for me now that you know...

It seems to me that puerile impertinence only lessens the effectiveness of a counter-argument. It does not help to insult my intelligence with replies like that :roll:... Do I sound like I really care about what you think? Sometimes people's subconscious comes out when they refer to others as 'different' in a negative light, I never said it was always intentional. If you read carefully I was teasing him, being only half-serious. Though sometimes 'careless' remarks are meant as a slur. I suppose if you ever found yourself on the receiving end you would learn to distinguish between the two. Perhaps you should sharpen your role-playing skills in that regard. Growing up in one of the most ethnically diverse places on the planet: 1. I am not 'European' 2. I am more closely related to East Asians than you are. 3. I have had the pleasure of having people of every race as close friends. Who you affiliate yourself with says a lot about your own prejudices btw. You can point and accuse and use cheap reverse psychology all you wish, but if most of the people you hang around with by choice belong to the same group as you, then you are a hypocrite in denial. And if I had taken this as a 'personal' issue, I would certainly be upset. You, on the other hand are taking a tone that shows that you have a far greater problem with what was said than I or even The Adlerian did. We resolved things quite peacefully, even he admited it. So why you feel it necessary to dig-up the proverbial hatchet yet again is beyond me. But in light of preventing any more unpleasantness I ask that you think about what I've just said and kindly refrain from doing so again [broken link]Now can we please get back on topic people [broken link]
      Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:13 AM.

Comment

:oops: Somehow managed to miss those posts on page four... must have been less than accurate when I clicked on the little number at the bottom of the page. Had I seen that Adlerian and yourself had sorted things out I probably wouldn't have posted. That said, the sentiment behind the post holds firm. I have a belief that you can only judge based on what you've experienced, not on what you hear of others' experiences. My personal experience is that 'sensitive' issues have been made a lot worse by do-gooders or smart-alecks making what they intend to be good intentioned comments, instead of letting alone, like how I perceived your original response to Adlerian to be. It's generally something that carries over wherever I am, and since I've encountered so many 'good intentioned' people of that ilk I've taken to countering where appropriate, regardless of the circumstances. If, as has happened elsewhere, I can get one of those smart-alecks to think before they butt in on future occasion, then the time has been well spent IMHO. I suppose that's my own brand of do-gooding intrusion. I never used to do that, but now I do... Sue me! It seems as though it was not appropriate here, however, and I'll be the first to admit when I mess up, and here I messed up. And only here. Sorry. Savour that apology... It's not something that is required of me very often. This topic may now continue. :D

Comment

Should I start flaying Hans for saying what he did too :lol: ? I tend to enjoy making people uncomfortable and I never said I was nice...But it's all in good impish fun regardless 8) . I know, I know, it takes some getting used to...what with all the scholarly seriousness pervading these forums *snort*. I don't forgive slights or insults easily EighthSon ...So carefull in that regard, lest I turn my most unpleasant sense of humor entirely on you :twisted: .

Comment

A Dolphin 8O ...*takes Adlerians temperature*. Medic, Medic! Vere ist you! Ve have a patient, und he ist delirious! Melniboneans are hominids not cetaceans, you're getting confused with Blue Submarine #6 :

http://www.beckyanime.50megs.com/mutio4.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Crusader_of_Melnibone
              Greetings again...
              (EDIT): I just read part of C.Weitz's interview about him directing His Dark Materials trilogy:
              http://bridgetothestars.net/?p=weitzinterview
              That's bad bad bad! Thinking that this trilogy is, as it turns out to be, competing Elric trilogy, and that Weitz is in both projects makes me wonder. C.Weitz must be out of his mind directing both trilogies (if he does then I believe he won't be able to concentrate 100% on Elric project), so maybe after all the Elric project will be given to some other director (and I dont know where it might end up) and without the full support of the Weitz bros.
              Does anybody else find this extremely disturbing?

Comment

Enonimis, I hope you do too!

Thankfully someone notices my post, I thought I was invisible :P

Thought I could give a different direction to this thread but ok everybody you may now continue with your racial stuff... :\

Take care

Comment

[broken link]

Note the EYES...looks like the White Dolphin had a little 'swim' with one of Straasha's daughters :oops: .

Thankfully someone notices my post, I thought I was invisible Razz
                  Now you know how I feel when I put up music links and no-one even bothers listening to them . I think C. Weitz should be dedicated 100% to the Elric Trilogy during filming. Anything less is unacceptable IMO, and if that's the way it's going to be then MM should start looking for alternatives :? ...
                  Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that most professional directors put 110% into whatever they're working on - so I guess we'll just have to keep the faith and wait and see how things pan out.

Noone loses here anyway - even if the film does not turn out so good as everyone hopes, the books are still around for people's enjoyment. I'm still of the mind that a movie will never beat a good book.

That said - there's so much expectation about the Elric movie, that its inevitable that some people won't be happy with it. I mean, you can't please everyone right? It was the same with LOTR - There were hundreds of Tolkien purists who lambasted Peter Jackson for not including the Tom Bombadil episode in the Fellowship of the ring.
                    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

That's an awfully optimistic point of view devilchicken :? ...I want Elric to be at least as good as LOTR and if possible even truer to the books. I mean it's not like the screenwriters have much of a choice, with Michael still being alive and all, unlike Tolkien. But still, one cannot be too trusting of big corporate Movie Studios. In adapting a series like Elric, you have the potential to present a real cinematic jewel to a far larger audience or single-handedly defame your life's work. Then people who might have been unaware of Elric might not even bother reading the books because the movie is bad :( ...

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                        That said - there's so much expectation about the Elric movie, that its inevitable that some people won't be happy with it. I mean, you can't please everyone right? It was the same with LOTR - There were hundreds of Tolkien purists who lambasted Peter Jackson for not including the Tom Bombadil episode in the Fellowship of the ring.
                        --Or the dropping of the Scouring of the Shire, something which is never mentioned in polite Tolkien company. Egads, I was at the One Ring party in Hollywood for the Oscars this past February, and some fans were STILL grousing about that. Quietly, of course, lest they be pummelled. :roll:

(In my defense...I had a VIP invite, a place to crash with friends in LA, and a super-cheap airfare, so I couldn't say no to the party...and it was quite an amazing event, in truth. Some of my friends helped throw it; it couldn't have cost less than $100k.)

As far as hoping that the Elric film(s) resembles the books and meets MM's no-doubt careful oversight.....I'm hopeful that we'll see a final product that meets with Mike's 100% approval.

But I keep thinking of Harlan Ellison's comments and experiences with Hollywood...and this worries me. "Big corporate Movie Studios....." Brr.

Comment

Music

I'm sorry - I might have missed something...
                          but is there talk of having rock music in this film?
                          I think it was a joke?
                          I hope it was a joke?
                          Will someone please tell me it was a joke?

As far as music goes though...

I really think that there are some great
                          Japaneese composers that would fit the bill
                          Nobuo Uematsu being at the top of my list

http://www.nobuouematsu.com/main.html

If you would like to know more about him...
                          He is most famous for his music in the
                          Final Fantasy series of video games and
                          the first movie by the same title.

Video game music composer might sound
                          a bit trite, if you are not into them -
                          but many well respected music authorities
                          call him a genius - and with good reason.

my two cents.

Comment

There's a japanese drum (i'm not sure what they call it) which has a very distinctive sound - could work well. Actually a japanese themed classical soundrack would be quite interesting - help convey the other-worldliness of the setting.

I would imagine it will be distinctive and perhaps different from, say, the usual John Williams effort. You don't want to do a retread of what has gone before.

--Or the dropping of the Scouring of the Shire, something which is never mentioned in polite Tolkien company. Egads, I was at the One Ring party in Hollywood for the Oscars this past February, and some fans were STILL grousing about that. Quietly, of course, lest they be pummelled. Rolling Eyes

(In my defense...I had a VIP invite, a place to crash with friends in LA, and a super-cheap airfare, so I couldn't say no to the party...and it was quite an amazing event, in truth. Some of my friends helped throw it; it couldn't have cost less than $100k.)

As far as hoping that the Elric film(s) resembles the books and meets MM's no-doubt careful oversight.....I'm hopeful that we'll see a final product that meets with Mike's 100% approval.

But I keep thinking of Harlan Ellison's comments and experiences with Hollywood...and this worries me. "Big corporate Movie Studios....." Brr. Evil or Very Mad
                            Well - I think its reasonable to expect an adaptation that's a distinct entity from the books and doesn't necessarily follow them exactly.

I think a lot of people miss the point when it comes to adaptations - you can rarely do a page for page lift of the book to the screen - changes have to be made to accomodate the limited run time of a movie, and to suit the pacing. The text can't be sacred - you have to look at it objectively.

The Scouring of the Shire in LOTR - always came across as anti-climatic to me. How would Saruman's return have come across in the movie? like Oddjob coming back for one last go... Sorry - I really don't think it was neccessary. But that's just my opinion. The climax of the film had tp be the fall of Sauron and the crowning of the king. At least PJ did attempt to cater for the fans by going back to the shire and showing the grey havens, but in the theatrical ROTK reviews he still got a bit of criticism for that.

Its certainly a tricky thing - making a movie to appeal to the broadest possible audience and stay true to your source material.
                            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Music

I'm sorry - I might have missed something...
                              but is there talk of having rock music in this film?
                              I think it was a joke?
                              I hope it was a joke?
                              Will someone please tell me it was a joke?

As far as music goes though...

I really think that there are some great
                              Japaneese composers that would fit the bill
                              Nobuo Uematsu being at the top of my list

http://www.nobuouematsu.com/main.html

If you would like to know more about him...
                              He is most famous for his music in the
                              Final Fantasy series of video games and
                              the first movie by the same title.

Video game music composer might sound
                              a bit trite, if you are not into them -
                              but many well respected music authorities
                              call him a genius - and with good reason.

my two cents...
                              btw - could someone with the power delete my last post? thanx -
                              I decide to register.

Comment

Gutter all

Yeah I think that it worked real well for Lexx...
                                But I think symphonic elements are
                                very important to fantasy films.

If you are recording Flippers of Fate -
                                could you use a great nose flute or
                                kazoo player?

I'm your man!

Comment

Working...
                                X