Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elric Movie (Thread part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extras

Years ago I wondered if there would ever be an Elric movie, and after LotR came out in movie form it gave me new hope. Fantasy has typically been a much maligned genre and most people think of it as cheesy or stupid. LotR opened the doors and let people see fantasy could be great. Once the Fellowship came out I knew Elric would eventually make its way onto the big screen. I can't express in any number of words how happy I am that this project is under way, and finally people will actually know where my name comes from, and how to bloody well pronounce it.

You wouldn't think it would be THAT hard of a name to get right, but it is for most. I've been called Eric, Eldrick, Elwick, Elroy, Edwick, Edric, Ulrich, and even in one case Elvis... yeesh.

As far as being an extra, YES I want to be an extra. Come on now, with my name how can I not be? And I can handle any medieval weapon, I have over a decade of experience, so I could be some schmoe in one of the battle scenes perhaps. It would be a dream come true for me, and that's no exaggeration.

Comment

Once we get busy, I'll put you in touch with the casting dept!
      Elric is a real name, by the way, from the same derivation as Ulric.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Lord of the rings movie, was soooooo, boring, i couldnt even finish to watch it entirely before going straight to sleep, i thought that at list i could see the movie from the soporiphic book that i never finish the introduction, but i failed,

whatever you do, please dont hire the team that made lord of the ring please!!

Comment

I slept too. At least I could skip bits in the book. Don't worry. While I have great respect for Jackson's achievement, I don't want to emulate it.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

You could film the whole film in Melnibonأ©an and subtitle it into English! Then you could have actors of any nationality without worrying about English-language problems!!!

Comment

That would be hilarious. Unfortunatly, the comic value would wear off in about 2 minutes. No "Passion of the Christ" attempts please!

~Enon

Comment

Name Derivation

Thanks MM, that's mighty generous of you!

And yes, I know Elric is a real name, I studied the language patterns and growth and change of the name years ago when I was curious exactly where the name came from.

I'm glad my father was the one to name me. Otherwise my name would have been Sumner... I know he was my mother's favorite Uncle but Sumner just rubs me the wrong way.

Really, what sounds better? Elric James Colvill or Sumner James Colvill?

Comment

Robin Hobb

Robin Hobb is friggin' great. I highly recomend her. George RR Martin is the best piece of fantasy I've read in a very long time. Also loved Eddings, Anthony and Saberhagen as a lad.

Comment

Greetings again...

I'm back after a few months of inactivity here...I'm glad to see the project is still alive and kickin' :p
                    While in my previous posts I concentrated on the cast (voting for Rufus Sewell and giving my recommendations for every bit of the movie), I am confident that the right choices will be made by MM and the Weitz Bros (Walken and Oldman two of my favorites...would love to see them in such a dark tale).

Worries: I am really concerned and a bit sad that Smiorgan (my favorite character - after Elric of course) will not be in the movies :( :( :( I also read by MM that Yishana will be in the first movie and play a great role, and that worries me too; if that happens, I'm afraid of lack of character development or skipping quickly the stories in the first books. Furthermore, my favorite stories are The Fortress of the Pearl and While The Gods Laugh, but I fear none of them will make it to the screen

(EDIT): I just read part of C.Weitz's interview about him directing His Dark Materials trilogy:
                    http://bridgetothestars.net/?p=weitzinterview
                    That's bad bad bad! Thinking that this trilogy is, as it turns out to be, competing Elric trilogy, and that Weitz is in both projects makes me wonder. C.Weitz must be out of his mind directing both trilogies (if he does then I believe he won't be able to concentrate 100% on Elric project), so maybe after all the Elric project will be given to some other director (and I dont know where it might end up) and without the full support of the Weitz bros.

Other than that, I am optimistic and eager to help in any way that I can. It happens that I am the founder of a movies community in Greece and its site is currently being constructed, so I'll be posting news there informing the public of this release. With your authorization, I would hope to take some parts of some posts, mainly by MM, and post them in our website/translate them. As soon as our site is up I'll contact you for more info.

Y'know I've influenced a lot of my friends and 'persuaded' them in my own way to read the Elric novels and now I realize how many of them have bought and read them in the past few years. Recently, a close friend just finished reading and told me how much my personality is alike with Elric. I would never realize any similarities and I never compare myself to Elric's character, I just say how much these novels meant for me and how they affected me in my life. But as it seems, they really affected and changed me as a person, since other people notice. And that's all thanks to you MM.

Take care,

Crus

Comment

That might be good because the facial construction along with the albinism would make him look different that a regular human.
                      Asians don't look like regular humans? That's quite droll, but I'm certain it was purely unintentional on your part...at least I hope it was :? .

regآ·uآ·lar (adj): customary, usual, or normal

I would consider their features more 'regular' than people of most other ethnicities given that there are over 1.5 billion of them :) . But as the saying goes, 'I catch your drift'.

Comment

Don't be a jerk.
                        Look who speaketh :roll:...I was merely pointing out that what you said could have been misconstrued as racist. If you take offense to a statement of the obvious then that is most unfortunate. Now can we please refrain from name calling and keep things civil? Returning to the topic at hand, I don't disagree with the casting of an Asian actor at all, the only thing is Elric is more slender faced than most East Asian peoples. I am very familiar with the facial features characteristic of different ethnic groups, being an illustrator myself. Then there's Elric's aquiline nose, which can be done with prosthetics, but tends to look like quite fake up close (Gandalf for example). A Eurasian actor might just have the right combination of features to pull it off, however. There are quite a few talented Hapa actors out there :) . Kristin Kreuk, for example could be cast as Cymoril:

http://www.hapas.com/models/Kristin.Kreuk-05.jpg

Comment

It would be a distinctive look certainly...

Now you mention it - you don't see many asian actors in leading movie roles. Perhaps some institutional racism at work in Hollywood perhaps....? I mean, outside of the latest Crouching Tiger style epic, or kung fu flick, where are the A-list asian actors?

Random observation - just seemed a little strange to me.

Zao, the gene therapy accident guy from Die Another Day certainly had a somewhat unhealthy look about him - the makeup job they did was pretty good, you could see all the veins under the surface of the skin. What I could never figure out though is why they didn't take the diamonds out of his face.

Perhaps they were gonna take them out later - but you'd figure if he could afford some risky experimental procedure in a private cuban clinic, the least they'd be able to do for him is do a bit of basic first aid.
                          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Juicy pieces of pork Ribs at hand

NOOOOOO... all that Bettany-Depp thing was so great! no Asians! no East-Europeans! NOOO plz! stop it! i can already see in the near [email protected] "why not make it all in animations? shrek was pretty good!"

lets talk about soundtrack, about being an extra, the weather in the young kingdoms nowadays or Pan Tang's little cute furry tigers... i thought we were through the 'main characters' thing after hundreds of posts!

Comment

I thought the 'No Asian' post was a little extreme to say the least.
                              Everyone has an opinion i guess.
                              I posted before that I thought Jeremy Irons, Christopher Walken, etc. were a bit old to play parts of certain charachters. Is this honesty or age discrimination?
                              Sort of like Michaels idea for that beautiful Eastern Indian actress/Model playing Cymorril?(misspelled-sorry)
                              I agree with multi ethnicities.
                              Hollywood kinda' sucks in this area.

I say 'Free ones mind and ones ass will follow.'
                              I am white by the way, if it is important.

Bob-e-Bane

Comment

They could always cast British actor Jason Isaacs as Elric:

[broken link]

He can act, speaks 'The Queen's' English fluently and has features that would be easier to work with for a Melnibonean. Put him on 1500 calories a day, add FX makeup and voila!

Sort of like Michaels idea for that beautiful Eastern Indian actress/Model playing Cymorril?(misspelled-sorry)
                                Kristin Kreuk is of mixed Dutch and East Asian heritage hence her interesting features. She even looks like Aishwarya, except Kristin is more delicate and ethereal looking. I always pictured Cymoril as having a type of beauty more akin to that of Arwen from LOTR.
                                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-12-2010, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X