Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

HBO - Please make "Elric of Melinbone" into a TV series | Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-Sun
    replied
    Of his series, I like Hawkmoon the least. That said... there’s no question that it would make the better tv show to me. There’s enough characters to talk. Elric’s internal monologue wouldn’t translate to screen well. Same with Daker/Erekose. And while I love Corum.... again, not enough characters. So yeah, I agree. Hawkmoon would work well.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    The Hawkmoon books are more clearly structured as novels, rather than a collection of stories, so they read differently than the Elric books. There is also much more narrative consistency. I also think Hawkmoon has far less existential concerns than Elric (as characters). Hawkmoon always seemed like one of the better adjusted ECs. haha

Leave a comment:

• Sir Sorcerer
    replied
    How would you describe the difference between the Elric and Hawkmoon books?

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Thanos Shadowsage View Post

Honestly I think I'd prefer a Hawkmoon series over an Elric one. It's been quite some time since I read Hawkmoon but I recall being pretty invested in some of the side characters. Elric has his companions from time to time but his brooding nature doesn't lend it self to dialogue very well. And D'Averc is quite possibly my favorite Companion of all the Eternal Champion books.
    I personally like Hawkmoon book series better than Elric's ones.

Leave a comment:

• Thanos Shadowsage
    replied
    Originally posted by EverKing View Post

Though last I heard script-work for a Hawkmoon series continues.
    Honestly I think I'd prefer a Hawkmoon series over an Elric one. It's been quite some time since I read Hawkmoon but I recall being pretty invested in some of the side characters. Elric has his companions from time to time but his brooding nature doesn't lend it self to dialogue very well. And D'Averc is quite possibly my favorite Companion of all the Eternal Champion books.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied

Well, according to Mike, Elric options have largely been dropped for being too similar to The Witcher if I recall (what horrid times!). Though last I heard script-work for a Hawkmoon series continues.

Personally, I would love a Michael Moorcock's Multiverse of series intertwining the EC sagas with full immersion.
    It was shocking to learn the reasons for it being cancelled.

Sometimes a company or person just does not want to make something, so I half suspect that they just threw any reason out there, plus, if that company does have some kind of investment into the other properties, it becomes an even more fishy reason not to create a television series.

If the reason is true, the company has no respect for history, or knowledge of a literature timeline, and no morals that normally would kick-in to give the original author and material credit for inventing so many things that have been copied, or that have become an influence, or have been "borrowed".

-especially the company is bad, during the age of the internet, they can't be bothered to read or look up the original source material before saying something like that.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc View Post

If the entertainment industry made sense, we would have this.
    That's one big "IF" there...😒

The simple fact that people are holding series such as The Witcher and even Game of Thrones up as some sort of great SFF ideals is sad enough. The fact that their popularity means superior (in my opinion) original series are being brushed aside and abandoned is down right tragic.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied

Personally, I would love a Michael Moorcock's Multiverse of series intertwining the EC sagas with full immersion.
    If the entertainment industry made sense, we would have this.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Originally posted by lemec View Post
    Maybe it will soon be time to have a Mike's Television Shows & Episodes Thread? That would be really cool! I imagine, that in the near future, Michael Moorcock TV Series threads and posts will be fully loaded with amazing information, character/actor details and all kinds of good things.
    Well, according to Mike, Elric options have largely been dropped for being too similar to The Witcher if I recall (what horrid times!). Though last I heard script-work for a Hawkmoon series continues.

Leave a comment:

• lemec
    replied
    Maybe it will soon be time to have a Mike's Television Shows & Episodes Thread? That would be really cool! I imagine, that in the near future, Michael Moorcock TV Series threads and posts will be fully loaded with amazing information, character/actor details and all kinds of good things.

Leave a comment:

• zlogdan
    replied
    I wish personally that a writer that is a Michael Moorcock fan adapts Elric for TV or Cinema. Hope Jane Spenson is not part of the crew.

Still, this is what makes me root badly for the adaption:

I am already seeing the bookstores with piles of Moorcock works and the Tolkien ( LoTR is my favorite book anyways but the Tolkien fans in Brazil are annoying ) and GoT fans getting in touch with a more diverse thing and seeing Brazilians being able to read the Elric saga. Hope it is a massive hit.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Octo, I'm sure you've seen the thread over in the Q&A but the latest option has been picked up with the showrunner/writer from Walking Dead attached. I haven't seen the show myself but its well written from what I hear.
    I liked the first episode of Walking Dead but quickly got tired of the series, probably more to do with my boredom at zombies than the quality of the writers. I am cautiously looking forward to an Elric series! : )

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    Octo, I'm sure you've seen the thread over in the Q&A but the latest option has been picked up with the showrunner/writer from Walking Dead attached. I haven't seen the show myself but its well written from what I hear.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    I'd rather writers from shows like The Wire and True Detective handle it than the writers behind HBO'S GoT and other genre shows like True Blood.

Leave a comment:

• EverKing
    replied
    I'm prone to agree. I find myself drawn to the cinema less often every year and looking instead for much improved story and character building found on television or Netflix. Orange is the New Black being just one example. I do, however, stand by my reservations regarding any HBO treatment as their production tend to favor sex and violence, both graphically, as a way to drive consumption. A little of each even graphically is perfectly acceptable when it serves a purpose of story but adding for the shock value when a scene can be just as well or better served without is profane. Elric without violence would loose some of the message, but Elric with violence for its own sake would fundamentally change that message. From the sounds of it, however, we needn't at this stage fuss over an HBO treatment of the material.

This is all just my opinion as a reader and obviously my perceptions of it are of little concern over those of yours, Mike, so I ultimately defer to you where Elrics screen treatment is concerned! :-)

(On an unrelated note: It's good to be back. I don't know what why I stopped taking part for so long. Life just had me down and now I think I'm finally beginning to recover.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X