Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

HBO - Please make "Elric of Melinbone" into a TV series | Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the writing on cable series gets better all the time. I have a huge admiration for series like TRUE DETECTIVE, ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, THE LEFT OVERS and some of the others already mentioned. Some of our very best writers are now doing stories on TV, frequently with more depth than most literary novels. So I have high hopes for a series.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I'm prone to agree. I find myself drawn to the cinema less often every year and looking instead for much improved story and character building found on television or Netflix. Orange is the New Black being just one example. I do, however, stand by my reservations regarding any HBO treatment as their production tend to favor sex and violence, both graphically, as a way to drive consumption. A little of each even graphically is perfectly acceptable when it serves a purpose of story but adding for the shock value when a scene can be just as well or better served without is profane. Elric without violence would loose some of the message, but Elric with violence for its own sake would fundamentally change that message. From the sounds of it, however, we needn't at this stage fuss over an HBO treatment of the material.

This is all just my opinion as a reader and obviously my perceptions of it are of little concern over those of yours, Mike, so I ultimately defer to you where Elrics screen treatment is concerned! :-)

(On an unrelated note: It's good to be back. I don't know what why I stopped taking part for so long. Life just had me down and now I think I'm finally beginning to recover.)
      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I'd rather writers from shows like The Wire and True Detective handle it than the writers behind HBO'S GoT and other genre shows like True Blood.

Comment

Octo, I'm sure you've seen the thread over in the Q&A but the latest option has been picked up with the showrunner/writer from Walking Dead attached. I haven't seen the show myself but its well written from what I hear.
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by EverKing View Post
            Octo, I'm sure you've seen the thread over in the Q&A but the latest option has been picked up with the showrunner/writer from Walking Dead attached. I haven't seen the show myself but its well written from what I hear.
            I liked the first episode of Walking Dead but quickly got tired of the series, probably more to do with my boredom at zombies than the quality of the writers. I am cautiously looking forward to an Elric series! : )

Comment

I wish personally that a writer that is a Michael Moorcock fan adapts Elric for TV or Cinema. Hope Jane Spenson is not part of the crew.

Still, this is what makes me root badly for the adaption:

I am already seeing the bookstores with piles of Moorcock works and the Tolkien ( LoTR is my favorite book anyways but the Tolkien fans in Brazil are annoying ) and GoT fans getting in touch with a more diverse thing and seeing Brazilians being able to read the Elric saga. Hope it is a massive hit.
              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Maybe it will soon be time to have a Mike's Television Shows & Episodes Thread? That would be really cool! I imagine, that in the near future, Michael Moorcock TV Series threads and posts will be fully loaded with amazing information, character/actor details and all kinds of good things.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                X